22 replies to this topic

#1 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

Hi Matt. Mailbox full. When deleting trees in an overhead the updated version of content aware fill in PS works fine as well as the clone stamp tool. 

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

Cool. I'll have to try that. With so much going on around a course, I'm guessing it won't be smart enough to know I want it to fill in rough. But, a combination of work with content aware fill in and stamp is probably the speediest.

I'll clean up the inbox a bit today.

#3 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:01 PM

It is very smart. It's been a game change for me for getting rid of background distractions like too many branches or blown highlight spots in my wildlife photography and removing things like unwanted people in landscapes and cityscapes. I can now keep photos I would have binned previously. As you say the strengtyh could be if one way doesn't work there is now a strong option.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#4 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:07 AM

With so much going on around a course, I'm guessing it won't be smart enough to know I want it to fill in rough. But, a combination of work with content aware fill in and stamp is probably the speediest.

The patch tool is good for that.  You just draw a line around the tree (or whatever you want to cover up) and then drag it to the area you want to sample.  Does it via content aware so it blends in very nicely.

• DPRoberts likes this

#5 SebGOLO

SebGOLO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

Sorry to interrupt in this thread, but DP could you help a noob out in a course creation matter?  I have a heightmap of the desired area in .hgt file. Can you tell me how I get that stuff into Unity? And , how I overlay it with the satellite imagery in an accurate matter?

Intel I7 6700K Skylake -- 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000Mhz --  Samsung SSD950 Pro * 2 --  Nvidia RTX2070 Founders Edition --  Oculus Rift with touch -- BeQuiet Pure Power 650W -- Bowers&Wilkins 607 Surround -- Pioneer Vsx930

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:07 PM

Sorry to interrupt in this thread, but DP could you help a noob out in a course creation matter? I have a heightmap of the desired area in .hgt file. Can you tell me how I get that stuff into Unity? And , how I overlay it with the satellite imagery in an accurate matter?

You will have to convert the .hgt to a .raw file. Unity only handles .raw for the heightmap. Then, your .raw and satellite have to be the same dimensions and "line up" correctly. This is best accomplished via GlobalMapper.

An easier solution would be to see if Larrykuh, Justin9926, or jt83 can look at the plot of land you are looking at. They can then get the data correct for you and easy import.

I would love to see a tutorial from Larry or Justin on the methods they are using so that others that happen upon Global Mapper could do it as well.

Maybe, they are just using Joe Habiger's techniques but I sense they've tweaked what he was doing a bit for even better results these days.

It is best to have a small plot and high res satellite (at least 8192*8192).

I would also like to see a larger plot of same location with same center point to use for a low res second terrain.
  • SebGOLO likes this

#7 SebGOLO

SebGOLO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 07:22 PM

thanks a lot for the info. I agree would be great to have a tutorial on this. 

Intel I7 6700K Skylake -- 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3000Mhz --  Samsung SSD950 Pro * 2 --  Nvidia RTX2070 Founders Edition --  Oculus Rift with touch -- BeQuiet Pure Power 650W -- Bowers&Wilkins 607 Surround -- Pioneer Vsx930

#8 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 10:13 PM

Pretty much have been just doing it like Joe showed. Here's the link

how I use lidar

But since then Larry and Shimonko have come up with a way to do it all right in global mapper. Which makes it much faster. I'll let one of those two do the tutorial. You guys would fall asleep by the time I got done explaining it :rolleyes: Plus if I explained it, it would be click on this whatchamacallit go over to that Whodickey etc. etc. I don't know any of the technical terms I just know how to do it. :)

What course are you looking for?

• SebGOLO likes this

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#9 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:19 AM

I created a video for Justin, but left out a couple of key operations. I'll try and create another.

• Justin9926, DPRoberts and SebGOLO like this

#10 SebGOLO

SebGOLO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:46 AM

Pretty much have been just doing it like Joe showed. Here's the link

how I use lidar

But since then Larry and Shimonko have come up with a way to do it all right in global mapper. Which makes it much faster. I'll let one of those two do the tutorial. You guys would fall asleep by the time I got done explaining it :rolleyes: Plus if I explained it, it would be click on this whatchamacallit go over to that Whodickey etc. etc. I don't know any of the technical terms I just know how to do it. :)

What course are you looking for?

I am looking at our local Club called `Lindau Bad Schachen` in Germany . http://www.golfclub-...olfclub-lindau/

I have the Lidar for that area but honestly dont know how to convert or import it.

#11 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:38 PM

I've never done anything with Germany. I did however find a website listing 1m DTM's by Municipalities. Do you know what municipality that would fall under? Or if you have the lidar upload it to drop box or Google Drive or something similar so we could take a look.

• SebGOLO likes this

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#12 SebGOLO

SebGOLO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

https://www.dropbox....009.hgt?dl=0   

This is the .hgt file of said area. If you search for `Golfclub Bad Schachen` it should come up in google maps. I hope the hole overviews from the website will come in handy, since the google map pictures seem to be from out of season...

#13 SebGOLO

SebGOLO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:59 PM

It falls under `Bayern`.

#14 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

Well evidently it doesn't cover all of Germany than because I don't see that municipality listed.. Here's a link to the site am looking at.

https://www.opengeod...gm1l/index.html

The hgt.File Opened up in Global mapper but it's not much of a height map. I'll try putting it together and see what it looks like, it may give you a little bit of contour.

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#15 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:04 PM

I had no luck with it. Maybe Larry or jt83 May have some luck with it.

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#16 nstone73

nstone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationDenver CO

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:37 PM

Is there a (n easy) way to replace a overlay image? Larry kindly put together a package ages ago for my old home course back in the UK. While the overlay for it then is just about fine for placing splines etc, it's nowhere near good enough for the overlay technique...there are a ton of shadows over the course for example.

If I look at the same area now in Google Maps, the quality looks pretty good...much clearer, less shadows, obviously taken at a better time of day.

I can imagine it's nearly impossible to get a new overlay to be at the exact same location, and at the exact scale to replace my current one?

(Perhaps we should change the name of the topic)

Also...love the idea of a less detailed second terrain from LIDAR too.

• SebGOLO likes this

#17 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:27 PM

I wonder if Larry can reload the height data you have into Global Mapper and move to the correct coordinates of his previous plot selection. Or, the coordinates are probably contained somewhere in one of the files (.kml?)

If that didn't work, you could probably take a larger selection of your previous plot and align in Photoshop with the heightmap. It's fussier that way but there are enough reference points that you can usually "see" bunkers and tees and greens in the greyscale heightmap to scale and align it.

I can help if it has to go that way.

#18 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:03 AM

It should be as simple as reloading the bt file into Global Mapper, then loading the new image with kml info (or using World Imagery if it's been updated.)  That's why I keep the files generated from GM, in case I've made a mistake.

As for the Bayern course, as Justin pointed out open data for it isn't available.  I created maps for a couple of German courses but they were based on those huge files he linked to.

#19 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:07 AM

Neal,

Unfortunately, I had a hard drive failure and lost my work files for that course. You could try to get an 8192x8192 image of the area and try to align it to the original using Photoshop or equivalent program. Not easy, but could possibly be done.

#20 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:37 AM

SebGOLO

Like Justin, I loaded the .hgt file into Global Mapper and overlayed the imagery. The lidar is very lo-res and would not make a workable heightmap for creating the course.

• SebGOLO likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users