Photo

Mesh Render Spline - setting toggles on CF load

Best Answer Justin9926 , 24 April 2020 - 05:12 PM

Give this a shot to see if it will work for you.

Invisible mesh

https://www.youtube....h?v=L2LgdrlYmgk

For the life of me I can't remember how to get the videos to show

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:00 PM

I think I've seen something on this before, but a search has left me empty.

I would like to keep the mesh renderer un-checked on a couple of my splines, but every time I start Unity and turn on Course Forge, the mesh render tick box populates and the spline shows up again.

I can render the course and the physics for the non-rendered spline work wonderfully, but I don't want to use this as an option if Course Forge automatically populates the "mesh renderer" check-box every time I load CF.

Am I SOL?

i-nxqTLWG-X2.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#2 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:55 PM

I had the same issue on my island green which I replaced with a custom one. If nobody chimes in i can check when at home tonight as I don't remember atm what I unchecked to keep it disabled. Did you try turning off spline script too? But I'm not sure...

#3 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:04 PM

I had the same issue on my island green which I replaced with a custom one. If nobody chimes in i can check when at home tonight as I don't remember atm what I unchecked to keep it disabled. Did you try turning off spline script too? But I'm not sure...

I didn't try turning off the spline script, but I will try it tonight.  I felt like maybe the script was needed for part of the physics, but I am not really sure how that works...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#4 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:23 PM

It's definitely also possible that it was the collider. I think it was one of these two. Anyway, better backup before killing me...
  • jspirate likes this

#5 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:24 PM

Hmm... I just checked in Unity and the disabled mesh is definitely not there but all boxes are ticked when i check in debug mode. Maybe if you deactivate the renderer and the second mysterious option and make a build it will stay deactivated but the boxes got somehow ticked again automatically? I also don't know if in the meantime i was running a complete spline building all over the course. With all the boxes ticked the mesh would probably show up again. So maybe it just stays invisble as long as you don't build the spline again without prior unchecking renderer plus x?....

Here is the selected spline (it's not the whole island green i replaced, it's just the rough). The wireframe is visible. No clue, does it mean the collider is still active? All boxes seem activated.

50hIfes.jpg

Here is it not selected and you see it's not visible.

D6rhNi4.jpg

And last but not least this is the custom replacement rough activated and you only see the green spline of the original one.

d5un86z.jpg

So probably best you trial and error. The worst case may be it will appear again and we have to untick whatever again.... :D

#6 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

So probably best you trial and error. The worst case may be it will appear again and we have to untick whatever again.... :D

LOL, I know that works, but I don't want to do that.  I can see myself doing a small edit and forgetting to go back and un-tick the box.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#7 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:17 PM

LOL, I know that works, but I don't want to do that. I can see myself doing a small edit and forgetting to go back and un-tick the box.

Lock the spline in the CF menu... Up by the name and top icons, blue lock. Then, untick the mesh renderer. This will prevent a recalculation of the spline and it'll stay hidden.

#8 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:42 PM

Lock the spline in the CF menu... Up by the name and top icons, blue lock. Then, untick the mesh renderer. This will prevent a recalculation of the spline and it'll stay hidden.

I think that does prevent the recalculation, but I am attempting to not have the spline render when I render the course.

This is what happens:

1.  Calculate spline

2.  Select spline and un-tick mesh renderer

3.  Render the course which leaves the mesh invisible, but the physics of the spline are still there - the intended effect is exactly as desired in game.

4.  Re-open unity (mesh still invisible)

5.  Turn CF on and this automatically puts the tick mark back in the mesh renderer box and the spline becomes visible (even when locked)

I can un-tick and do it all over again, but I will most likely forget to do that at some point and then there will be a problem when someones hits that spot on the course.

Really, I am probably trying to fix a problem with unity's terrain.  Maybe this is a terrible solution, but it works if not for the tedious nature of that blasted tick box.

The original problem is when there is no spline and the ball comes off one mesh (a rock for example) onto unity's terrain and the terrain collider doesn't pick up the ball and it goes into free-fall...

Maybe, I should have started with the original problem and not my work-around...

Anyway, thank you for these suggestions and anything else that might be suggested.  I am always glad to learn from the community here :)

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#9 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 12:19 PM

Does the spline cut out not accomplish your goal? I'm not entirely clear on the problem you are trying to solve.

Ag9dsjY.jpg

#10 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 01:33 PM

Later today I will take a screen shot to help illustrate...  

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#11 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 03:06 PM

I have some pics...

The grid is kind of hard to see, but it helps illustrate the unity terrain issue.  The faint PG grid is the key to this illustration though...

In the first pic if the ball rolls off the rock and onto Unity's terrain it will not encounter a collider.  It will either fall to the rock below the terrain (see 2nd picture) or go into a free fall situation which results in the player never seeing the post shot screen.  Either way, golf play does not continue as it should.  We periodically encounter the free fall issue when playing PG and it requires an exit/resume.

My clumsy workaround has been to place a CF spline at the bottom of the rocks. I removed the spline I placed at the bottom of these rocks to get these pics.  When the CF spline is there the grid returns and ball physics work as they should. In most cases, this works just fine and looks acceptable.  I have a current challenge in that I can not implement a spline without it sticking out like an unacceptable sore thumb.  So, un-ticking "mesh renderer" provided me the physics coding without the eye sore (I am a coding dummy).  As mentioned before, un-ticking mesh renderer doesn't remain when CF is loaded and the spline will be visible unless re-un-ticked.

Cutout is not acceptable in this situation because the whole spline needs to be invisible.  Plus, that cutout really does look bad when the ball is up against it.

Maybe there is another solution relative to the terrain collider issue and this is just not the appropriate way to skin this cat?

Note: these pics were taken from a spot where the spline fix is perfectly acceptable to me.  I can make the spline look like the terrain and the player knows not.  The problem comes up in locations where it doesn't blend in and ends up looking like crap despite attempts to do so.

i-2LWfpVx-X5.jpg

i-FjVXSmg-X5.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#12 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:18 PM

I think I never was in a situation when such things happened in game. Probably I didn't play enough...
The renaming to "Spline xxx" trick doesn't help here? And let me ask, this massive rock is a normal obj or fbx?

#13 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 04:37 PM

I think I never was in a situation when such things happened in game. Probably I didn't play enough...
The renaming to "Spline xxx" trick doesn't help here? And let me ask, this massive rock is a normal obj or fbx?

Its FBX... well, in its original form it is.  I've combined the meshes for the rocks within close proximity to each other to help with frame rates (not sure if that means its still a FBX???).  I then add an LOD component to the combined mesh.  Maybe I should try making each rock into an OBJ and then placing individual LODs???

Off to consult google on this...

Edit:  Have not looked into either of your suggestions yet Birdie (both of which seem promising), but here is a screen with the CF spline added back in.  Note the grid...

i-dn75Frd-X5.jpg

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#14 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:22 PM

JS, this sounds like the faulty rolling ball physics that let a ball rolling ignore all colliders basically.

#15 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:28 PM

Looks somehow like there is a gap in the grid. If you place the ball exactly there on the grass it still works like expected?

Edit.. The grid in the first pics

#16 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

JS, this sounds like the faulty rolling ball physics that let a ball rolling ignore all colliders basically.

It could be, but I don't want to release a course that lets this happen, so I am trying to address.  The spline fix works great until you get to a tight spot where it looks really bad no matter what you do in custom layers.

That said, there is some discussion on faulty unity terrain colliders out there on the interwebs...

Looks somehow like there is a gap in the grid. If you place the ball exactly there on the grass it still works like expected?

Edit.. The grid in the first pics

Yes... the gap in the grid is where the ball falls through.  Even when placed there in practice mode.  This is exactly what I am trying to address.

I should have made a video instead of using pics... maybe later if someone is interested.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#17 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:33 PM

So the problem seems to have nothing to do with your rock formations. At least I would guess if you made a build with them deactivated or deleted the ball will act the same in this spot?

#18 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

Would also be interesting to see what happens if you smoothed this area and made it less steep. Just for a test for sure. But I also hate changing terrain even after backup...
Does this also happen on other spots and in the "middle" of the spline mesh or are there neighbouring splines?
Just wild indirected brainstorming...

#19 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:28 PM

So the problem seems to have nothing to do with your rock formations. At least I would guess if you made a build with them deactivated or deleted the ball will act the same in this spot?

When I remove the rocks, the terrain collider returns.  The gap in the grid isn't present when the rock(s) isn't there.  It is easily reproduced.  But, I an still curious about your OBJ vs FBX idea...

Would also be interesting to see what happens if you smoothed this area and made it less steep. Just for a test for sure. But I also hate changing terrain even after backup...
Does this also happen on other spots and in the "middle" of the spline mesh or are there neighbouring splines?
Just wild indirected brainstorming...

It happens on steep rocks and slightly slopped rocks (or other items for that matter).  I think Unity sees the rock collider over the terrain collider.  If I fly under terrain while in PG, the grid dips all the way through the terrain to the rock.  It totally bypasses the terrain as if its not even there.  It bypasses it to the edge of the rock and then the terrain picks it back up.  It does NOT bypass a CF spline mesh.  Just unity's terrain.

Again, I still need to test the OBJ idea out... I read something somewhere that has me hopeful...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#20 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 07:45 PM

Okay, really strange. I must say this was not really an idea with the obj, I just wanted to be sure that the rocks are not texture painted terrain or so.
But again, this approach with renaming the rock and all of its child objects (if any) to "Spline xxblabla" so the sim somehow "handles" it as a PP spline (?) did you try?
Maybe I'm on the wrong path but just if it makes a difference...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users