26 replies to this topic

#1 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 05:38 PM

I have just received an Oculus Quest 2 for my birthday and straight away I bought a game called Golf+.

I wondered if anyone else has tried this game? At the moment there are 3 courses, 2 real and 1 fantasy with more to come. The devs have even said that a course designer app might be considered in the future.

My first impressions of the game are very positive. Although I struggled with a slice to start with I’m gradually learning how to keep the ball straighter. My distance control is also improving with practice.

Putting is challenging, especially with the greens set at their fastest, but it’s very intuitive, and like the rest of the game, very rewarding after the initial frustrations.

The graphics are what you would expect from a VR game and a little on the basic side but adequate. 
Overall a very good and accurate golf simulation and highly recommended. 

• Buck and MSNYCsoarrom like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 01:03 AM

Heard about it and have considered it…

New courses have come very very slowly though

I’m sort of waiting to see if it goes anywhere as I know I’d very quickly tire of just 3 courses.
  • IanK likes this

#3 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 01:41 AM

True, 3 courses doesn’t seem like much but the devs promise more courses and a course designer, which would be a game changer.

I only paid £10 for the game, so it’s not expensive for what you get and it is a unique experience playing in VR. 
At the moment playing in VR is novel and rewarding but I can really only manage 1 or 2 games at a time before slight motion sickness sets it, so I won’t tire of the three courses too quickly.

WWG1WGA

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 02:19 AM

True, 3 courses doesn’t seem like much but the devs promise more courses and a course designer, which would be a game changer.
I only paid £10 for the game, so it’s not expensive for what you get and it is a unique experience playing in VR. 
At the moment playing in VR is novel and rewarding but I can really only manage 1 or 2 games at a time before slight motion sickness sets it, so I won’t tire of the three courses too quickly.

That’s the other issue…
I share similar “time limitations” with VR before I’m not enjoying it anymore

#5 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 10:30 PM

I love it. No motion sickness except on roller coasters. I can only ride one and then I am done. I don't particularly like when it shows things from high up as I am afraid of heights. There are other golf games on the computer side but I can't tell you how good they are. The Golf Club VR is on Steam but I was never able to get my Rift working properly.

Ian, you need to buy the golf club for the controller. It makes a huge difference.

I too, am disappointed at the lack of new courses from Top Golf+, plus they cost $8.00. They say $7.99, but I figure it is a stupid marketing ploy to make you think that it's not a bad deal. I still enjoy playing them over and over. Plus there is another golf game E something. I enjoy miniature golf too and there are some very interesting holes.

Enjoy your Quest 2. I also watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney +. Netflix is the only one that isn't that good, but it has the 'void' which lets you lie down and watch.

• IanK likes this

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 10:47 PM

I also watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney +. Netflix is the only one that isn't that good, but it has the 'void' which lets you lie down and watch.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people want to watch standard video content in VR

Everything about that is worse than just laying on your couch in front of a normal nice large TV with either great sound system or by using headphones (which becomes the same audio experience VR offers)

#7 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 11:19 PM

For the life of me, I can't figure out why people want to watch standard video content in VR

Everything about that is worse than just laying on your couch in front of a normal nice large TV with either great sound system or by using headphones (which becomes the same audio experience VR offers)

Buck, do you own a Quest 2 or Rift? Do you go to the theater to watch movies? If so, then it is just a matter of opinion. When I lie in bed at night I would always prefer to watch with my VR headset on with Bose Earbuds.  Sometimes, but rarely I will watch with my iPad. The headstrap on my Quest can sometimes get a bit uncomfortable, but by then I'm ready to go to sleep.

#8 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 11:20 PM

Oh, and I forgot, I like different things to watch than my wife does.

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 23 February 2022 - 11:43 PM

Buck, do you own a Quest 2 or Rift?

Not anymore, no

Have owned nearly ever VR headset at some point though (mainstream ones)

Definitely speaking from experience.

I find absolutely nothing compelling about watching standard video content in VR.

Subjective for sure..

#10 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 12:04 AM

Subjective for sure..

The picture on the Rift and particularly the Quest 2 are a lot better than say the Gear VR. The older renditions of VR had a very grainy screen. Not so much anymore.  There is YouTube VR, Firefox has a VR app, Amazon Prime VR. You can resize the screen in Netflix and I think Big Screen. You can rent 3D movies with Big Screen albeit they are old movies. To me, some non 3D video appears 3D to me. There is hardly no way unless you have a super huge TV screen that you can get the view size of VR. There is so much to do in VR that I don't think that I will ever get bored with it. The only thing that could make VR better imo is to reduce the size and weight of the headset, still improve on the resolution, and make it more realistic than so polygonal in a lot of apps. For instance the golf looks very good but it still has polygonal shapes. My guess would be the processing power of the stand alone units like Quest 2. So far the graphics are not anywhere near a computer or console game unit. IMO. But, it is still fun and immersive.

Also, with VR watching video you can change your environment. I even watched one of the apps on the moon. Most of the time I just use a theater environment or a nice get away home environment. The Netflix app leaves a lot to be desired but Big Screen and Amazon Prime are very good.

If anyone gets a Quest 2, go for the one with more memory or you will run out of room for games and you will have to work around that problem. I play mostly from the computer Oculus app with either virtual desktop or (shoot, senior moment, can't remember the Quest name) and play Steam games or games that I got when I was using my Rift S.

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 12:50 AM

Enjoy bgast!!

• bgast1 likes this

#12 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 03:46 PM

I love it. No motion sickness except on roller coasters. I can only ride one and then I am done. I don't particularly like when it shows things from high up as I am afraid of heights. There are other golf games on the computer side but I can't tell you how good they are. The Golf Club VR is on Steam but I was never able to get my Rift working properly.

Ian, you need to buy the golf club for the controller. It makes a huge difference.

I too, am disappointed at the lack of new courses from Top Golf+, plus they cost $8.00. They say $7.99, but I figure it is a stupid marketing ploy to make you think that it's not a bad deal. I still enjoy playing them over and over. Plus there is another golf game E something. I enjoy miniature golf too and there are some very interesting holes.

Enjoy your Quest 2. I also watch Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney +. Netflix is the only one that isn't that good, but it has the 'void' which lets you lie down and watch.

I have tried to source a reasonably priced golf club attachment for the controller but I’ve not been able to find one here in the U.K.

I’m certainly not paying £60 for one. I have some old clubs, I might cut one down and attempt to make my own, as some people have.

WWG1WGA

#13 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 February 2022 - 10:25 PM

I have tried to source a reasonably priced golf club attachment for the controller but I’ve not been able to find one here in the U.K.

I’m certainly not paying £60 for one. I have some old clubs, I might cut one down and attempt to make my own, as some people have.

LOL!  I get that. $60.00 appears to be the going price. If I was the engineering type of guy I probably would try to fashion one out of a golf club too. I even bought the PHI Golf 1 back in the day. Haven't used it much, but that attachment is a game changer for me. It forces me to swing like a golf club whereas with just the controller I had a tendency to just use one hand. Except for putting. I definitely needed to put for real.

• IanK likes this

#14 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 28 February 2022 - 11:21 PM

The most enjoyable experience I've had in VR is Google Earth. 

• Buck likes this

#15 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 07:19 AM

The most enjoyable experience I've had in VR is Google Earth. 

I like Google Earth, but I am guessing that you don't like it a whole lot?  I would like to see them go beyond some of the polygonal shapes. The headsets can become a bit uncomfortable over long periods of time. I guess, maybe I'm not to hard to please. For instance, I love this game, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I am more prone to overlook some things that people like to complain about.

#16 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:25 PM

I like Google Earth, but I am guessing that you don't like it a whole lot?  I would like to see them go beyond some of the polygonal shapes. The headsets can become a bit uncomfortable over long periods of time. I guess, maybe I'm not to hard to please. For instance, I love this game, but that doesn't mean it's perfect. I am more prone to overlook some things that people like to complain about.

I haven't fooled with my VR headset for a while, but when I do I always load up Google Earth. I go through VR stages, currently in a lull. Haven't played PP for quite a while either. Been into American Truck Simulator, which I hear is also pretty good in VR.

• bgast1 likes this

#17 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:04 PM

I want to check out the Flight Simulator. What kind of VR headset do you have? I have the Quest 2. I still have my Rift S but don't use it. I have heard that there are other headsets possibly even better than Quest 2 but it seems to be the most user friendly for me at the moment.

#18 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 02:05 AM

Originally purchased a Rift. Wanted to go wireless so bought a Quest when it first came out. Funny thing about it though is I could not access my old games for the Rift. Ended up buying the cord for the Quest, so didn't gain a thing. Spent twice as much money though.  ;)

#19 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 03:11 AM

Originally purchased a Rift. Wanted to go wireless so bought a Quest when it first came out. Funny thing about it though is I could not access my old games for the Rift. Ended up buying the cord for the Quest, so didn't gain a thing. Spent twice as much money though.  ;)

I did that too. You can access your Rift games wirelessly with Quest 2, but get the one with more memory if you are interested. It can get expensive and if a newer version comes out I will probably spend the money for that too. I hate that cord, but it was nice if I was sitting down until now I have a new headstrap that takes a magnetic batter.

#20 theclubpro

theclubpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 08 March 2022 - 11:30 AM

Mark crossfield did a review a little while back
https://youtu.be/lVN3Rm4Ayuk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users