21 replies to this topic

#1 LADYBOGEY

LADYBOGEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNew Brunswick Canada

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:06 AM

Will there be avatars for ladies and choices for clothes, hair color with styles and accessories?

#2 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:24 AM

HI Ladybogey, are you talking about an AI or female golfer? If you are, that is a good question. We really haven't seen much in the way of a golf game here but I sure hope that it is in the works.. That and lefties for those who like that..

Axe

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#3 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:43 AM

I doubt we will be seeing any advanced customization, but I would love to see ladies and lefties. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#4 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:45 AM

Totally agree with axe. Can't remember any previous golf games or simulations, where the ladies got equal billing with the guys. I think the time has come to acknowledge that this game of golf is played by both genders. I would welcome all ladies who would contribute their opinions, ideas and suggestions to these forums.  It would certainly be a breath of fresh air.

#5 Mick-S

Mick-S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationDevon.u.k / born London

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

sure I saw a post from MJ, where he mentioned that to start there would be one man and one woman.

#6 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

sure I saw a post from MJ, where he mentioned that to start there would be one man and one woman.

Adam & Eve Golf, lol.

Joe Harford (who was working on the golfer animation) said his intention was to create a female character, but last year he was mainly concentrating on a male character, which he showed pics of via his Dev Blogs. Unfortunately there hasn't been much in the way of updates regards all the work Joe was doing - golfer animations, 3D course objects, 3D buildings etc. so I have no idea if he is still working on these or off doing other projects.

In the 'News' item here - http://www.perfectparallel.com/news.html/_/perfect-golf/golfdevblog/our-characters-first-steps-r24 - Joe briefly explains his plans for the in game animations. Part of his blog said.....

Eventually I think customization will be a big feature too, where users can modify the look, colors, designs or add club logos. I have a lot of ideas planned for the customization system which I hope to implement in time, but in the initial stages one male and one female character is my focus for now.

Would be nice for one of the PP crowd to post a titbit of info to keep us up to speed.

;)

#7 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:04 PM

Adam & Eve Golf, lol.

Joe Harford (who was working on the golfer animation) said his intention was to create a female character, but last year he was mainly concentrating on a male character, which he showed pics of via his Dev Blogs. Unfortunately there hasn't been much in the way of updates regards all the work Joe was doing - golfer animations, 3D course objects, 3D buildings etc. so I have no idea if he is still working on these or off doing other projects.

In the 'News' item here - http://www.perfectparallel.com/news.html/_/perfect-golf/golfdevblog/our-characters-first-steps-r24 - Joe briefly explains his plans for the in game animations. Part of his blog said.....

Eventually I think customization will be a big feature too, where users can modify the look, colors, designs or add club logos. I have a lot of ideas planned for the customization system which I hope to implement in time, but in the initial stages one male and one female character is my focus for now.

Would be nice for one of the PP crowd to post a titbit of info to keep us up to speed.

;)

This word has me a little worried... "Eventually". Now where have I heard that before... I want to be positive but after a lot of us are coming off a game that had a lot of promises, it's hard not to be cautious...

I will be hear for the long haul and will support this game but I will from time to time have cautious comments...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:10 PM

This word has be a little worried...

There's bound to be an eventually, as they have to get the game up and running first off, lol.

Also, the Dev Blog I referred to, from which the quote was taken, was posted in Aug 2012.

The same as......... eventually we will be able to do this and that with Course Forge.

Eventually roughly translates to - at an unspecified later time.

;)

#9 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

This word has me a little worried... "Eventually". Now where have I heard that before... I want to be positive but after a lot of us are coming off a game that had a lot of promises, it's hard not to be cautious...

I will be hear for the long haul and will support this game but I will from time to time have cautious comments...

I would not worry in the least about that word when I consider the source. The people here at PP have a solid reputation in the golfing community. EA Sports on the other hand - well, everyone has their own feelings about EA's reputation.

#10 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:33 PM

Actually, everybody has the same feelings about EA's reputation - and they are not flattering. Although a female player will certainly be made available, avatar customization is a very important element of the game in the medium and long term: Being able to select hairdos and colors, body size and weight, facial features etc; adding clothing in different styles and colors, perhaps even importing a T-Shirt design, extra vanity content (glasspearl studded golfbag? Golden clubheads?) all of that is a very appealing option to have for many users who just love to play dress-up. One of the best things of TW08 was that you could sink your in-game cash into tons of apparel and have a complete makeover every day.

Me, I'll be fine with one guy who swings a stick, which I reckon is what we'll get to start with, but those customizable, little superficial niceties are quite essential to many others.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Indeed Kablammo11, you have hit the nail on the head in many respects.. The Details Matter!...

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#12 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Indeed Kablammo11, you have hit the nail on the head in many respects.. The Details Matter!...

I for one, like the details  in a simulation that help create atmosphere  and ambiance for a more realistic and enjoyable play setting. Having said that, how do you guys feel about galleries that line the fairways. I know a lot of people either do not care if they are present or do not like them at all. In TW we used to refer to them as walking zombies. They were somewhat awful and were more of a distraction than an enhancement. In Links, they were photographic figures, better looking than TW's but often out of scale with the rest of the terrain. How about in-course commentary? TW commentary,  repetitious and a total bust. The sound files Terry Savage created for Links were just great. He created files for both the PGA & European tour using the original  comments from the real commentators.  These were huge files but in my opinion well worth having. I hope they can be incorporated into the PP Sim. This for one would be a detail that would really matter.

• axe360 likes this

#13 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

From a personal viewpoint:-

Galleries - don't bother with them.

Tournament Objects - OK with these, but only if the 'free drop' is applied correctly. On many occasions in Links you can get behind Tournament Objects and have no shot, but also no option to take the 'line of sight' drop.

Commentary - I can take it or leave it. It's always good to start with but then certain comments can become repetitive if used too often, and ends up with commentary getting turned off.

If PP can incorporate all of the above and do it well, then great. Just need them to be optional so those that want them get them and those that don't can turn them off.

;)

#14 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

I for one, like the details  in a simulation that help create atmosphere  and ambiance for a more realistic and enjoyable play setting. Having said that, how do you guys feel about galleries that line the fairways. I know a lot of people either do not care if they are present or do not like them at all. In TW we used to refer to them as walking zombies. They were somewhat awful and were more of a distraction than an enhancement. In Links, they were photographic figures, better looking than TW's but often out of scale with the rest of the terrain. How about in-course commentary? TW commentary,  repetitious and a total bust. The sound files Terry Savage created for Links were just great. He created files for both the PGA & European tour using the original  comments from the real commentators.  These were huge files but in my opinion well worth having. I hope they can be incorporated into the PP Sim. This for one would be a detail that would really matter.

I agree with the whole "walking zombie" thing. I remember the first Tiger Woods game that I bought that had a true "gallery." I thought it would be sweet, but they just stood there, all facing the same way, swaying awkwardly back and forth, and clapping and cheering at times that always seemed a little bit off. I'd rather just be out on the course by myself with no sounds or sights distracting me... Just like real life! However, I do think it would be cool to see some empty bleachers, grandstands, etc. at the more famous courses (Pebble Beach, St. Andrew's, Augusta National) to give it the more professional feel. If this could be included as part of Course Forge it would be even more exciting. 

I'm really not too big on commentary. I like to play video games for hundreds of hours, and no matter how good the commentary is, it will become repetitive after the first fifty hours. I understand that not everyone feels this way, so if it is included I hope there is a way to disable it. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#15 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Galleries: I'd rather not have them, they always looks so copy-pasted - getting them right would require a tremendous lof of resources. We had debates about a spectator mode in the previous Forum, i.e. non-playing online members joining a round, watching somebody else's game and roaming freely about the course. This sort of gallery, maybe only with a contour of another player showing up, would be alright.

Commentary: Hm, I usually switch them off after a while - they're funny alright, but they do get old. There was, in Links, this cool feature where you could import audio snippets to comment on situation, my favorite was  that comedian with the squeaky voice, i believe he was called Bobcat Goldthwait (not sure about this, tho). That might add some color to proceedings and I would probably go for it.

Another atmospheric element: Shot reactions - brief outbursts from your avatar when you execute a good shot or a bad shot or score low... I usually switched them off, but again, this might be considered "par for the course" for a golf sim and it also would increase character customization, which in return increases the emotional investment a player makes into this game, which in return increases the chance of having a satisfying customer, which in return increases... and so on.

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#16 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:02 AM

Galleries, Tournament objects and commentary should all be in the game with a user option to disable them.

I agree, commentary does get repetitive, but if the files can be edited/created by users like they can in Links, then I see a lot of potential.

Tournament Objects and Crowds are another thing I like, but not always. In links, you have the option to turn them on/off as desired. They're fun for some, not so for others.

At the end of the day, choice is always a good thing. :)

#17 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

I always switched everythig off. Galeries, Crowds, sounds etc. So I don't really care about that. I know a bunch of players enjoy this, but I was too much focussed on playing :) I enjoyed playing those lill mp3's like <awesome.

I think the thing I really missed the most in the last years was the spectator mode. I really enjoyed joining a running game, chatting with my friends and just waiting till they finished so I could join the next round. Sometimes I hated the fact, that only 4 spectators were allowed, there could be more ;)

Female Avatars should be in the game, never knew why EA had a problem with that. Maybe I just missed that "it's in the game" :D :D

Also left handed Avatars. Maybe not as easy as female avatars, but it would be good to have them.

P.S.: I also enjoyed creating shirts for my group and other groups too. I would also love to customize shirts as I just loved to do that :)

Who cares...

#18 Jbx

Jbx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHampshire, England

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Hey Ladybogey, looks as tho' the game will indeed start with a basic male & female golfer. Thereafter we can only wait for further info on the many items suggetsed above. Hopefully this will eventually become a most exciting game in every respect.

John.

Jbx%20golgBall1.jpg

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every mininute of it!

#19 wingates

wingates

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationNorth West England

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I love the galleries and their reaction to a goo/bad shot. it gives atmosphere to the game. Commentary is quite good but does get repetitive. I have TW09 on Wii and Sam Torrence gets on my nerves after a while. Anyone know how to get commentary on in a game on TW08 PC. When I join a game it is on, but when I host a game it is not there.

#20 Maverick Spirit

Maverick Spirit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

WOW...deja vu...seems like just yesterday I engaged in this debate in another forum and it lasted over a year, if I recall correctly. I for one have always advocated options such as female avatars, lefties etc. The more options, the better, allowing more people features to draw them to the game.

I understand the priority has to be getting a working game first and options and add-ons come later but...

A word of advice, consider options and add-ons in advance while designing the game, don't fall into the trap the "Worst Company in America" fell into...not listening to the community in the beginning and having to redesign everything later on.

• axe360 and MERACE like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users