30 replies to this topic

#1 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

We are all about to have the free upgrade from W7/W8 to W10 from Windows Updates (end of July).

I believe most of us PC enthusiasts will first create a System Image of our current OS and do the upgrade to see how nicely W10 plays with our installed programs.

My prediction:  Having already used 3 beta versions I predict that 50% of W7 users world-wide will revert back to W7 after using W10 for a week.

Familiarity:

Familiarity equals productivity and fast navigation.  This is why the business world is still holding tight to XP. Windows 7 will soon replace all those machines and servers around the world because it proved itself as a worthy successor to XP. How long did that take in the enterprise environment?  Just about seven years. Honestly, corporations must wait until "their" world communicates good things about new tech.

As for residential technophiles.  W10 may be a lot of fun for young and old PC users.
Hooray for you guys n' gals!  I am genuinely happy for you.

I have to install the RTM version to be able to support people around the world with troubleshooting and optimization.  I'll learn it well but I will rely on Windows 7 for many years to come.

One day Microsoft might learn to have an option that allows us to choose any past OS for our User Interface. Call it a skin if you will.  All the goodies are there in the background and can be accessed if someone wants to use a new Windows Feature, but they have the desktop UI retro or modern.  I like that idea a lot.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

Love Windows 10 - Best ever in my opinion.

...for Windows that is.

Has a TON of fixes for niggling driver and compatibility issues out of the box that lots of people will likely enjoy.

Businesses - Yeah.  Have fun with those old versions.  Ugh

#3 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:10 AM

I like it too. Won't be going back to 7.

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

We should mention that it's been officially confirmed that if you update to 10 now and agree to always been on the auto updates....you get Windows 10 totally for free.

Great time to jump on!

#5 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 04:31 AM

Buck.  It will be free for all current PC owners with W7 and W8 forever.  All Microsoft is doing is trying to get people out of older operating systems.  They will make their money at the Microsoft Store with their new apps and by selling OEM copies to manufactures who build new computers.

Windows System   (that's the future reference to any device that utlized Windows)

Getting the upgrade is no big deal. It will be there "free" for as long as a person owns W7/W8.

We'll see the comments start showing up from W7 loyalists who are fed-up to the gills with too many bells, whistles and tiles that keep appearing for PC operating systems.

NO JUMPING ON is necessary for us Windows 7 users. Windows 8 users, yes!  Get W10.  It's superior to W8.

Be dang sure a System Iimage is made of your current OS before upgrading to W10.  If you don't know how to make and use a System Image Backup then your local  police should come to your home and take your drivers license away from you. :lol: :D ;)

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#6 jimbob59

jimbob59

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNewcastle, England

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:21 AM

Been running Windows 10  Insider preview  on a 5 year old laptop and  a more modern desktop for a couple of months.

Latest few updates ( 10130 to 10166)  have enhanced it considerably especially the graphics  and menus.

No statistics to back it up but it appears to boot up quicker and run quicker than 7.  Windows 7 on steroids as someone said.

Have never had any problems.

Best of Windows 7 plus Apps etc ( unpin them if you dont use them)  So no need to go  back to windows 7.

Oh yes, most important it runs Perfect Golf  Beutifully  :rolleyes:

#7 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:32 AM

Oh yes, most important it runs Perfect Golf  Beutifully  :rolleyes:

I get the "rolling eyes". You know you may have spoken to soon.   That's cool.  And good for you that you like W10.  But if you read my post thoroughly, you saw you fall under the category of "residential technophile".  Your interest in the corporate worlds opinion of W10 will be completely non-existent. 

Ya follow? :rolleyes:

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

Crusher: not only is it free to 7/8 users, but as I specifically was referencing, it's free to anybody who agrees to always be on the insider build update path and installs the Dev preview before the official launch later this month.

So just to be clear, you can get Windows 10 officially, completely for free using this method (endorsed by Microsoft- not shady at all)

#9 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

I never inferred "shady". I am inferring that Microsoft will do anything to get current PC owners to get out of W7 and W8.  A world-wide free operating system makes sense, period.  The money comes from future sales of Microsoft store apps, OEM Windows sales and huge orders and paid-for-special-support for Corporations.

It's now called Windows System (officially).  We'll say Windows 10 but in the books in Redmon, it's Windows System. ;)

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:30 PM

I never inferred "shady". I am inferring that Microsoft will do anything to get current PC owners to get out of W7 and W8.  A world-wide free operating system makes sense, period.  The money comes from future sales of Microsoft store apps, OEM Windows sales and huge orders and paid-for-special-support for Corporations.

It's now called Windows System (officially).  We'll say Windows 10 but in the books in Redmon, it's Windows System. ;)

I was simply trying to add a data point of the ways to get windows 10 for free.

It's a REALLY good thing that Microsoft is trying to get as many people as it can on the newest versions of Windows.

Having people stuck to the old versions has been a hamstring to the entire internet at times (old old browsers) and is a problem for them as a company trying to be relevant in the newer consumer electronics space.

#11 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

I was simply trying to add a data point of the ways to get windows 10 for free.

It's a REALLY good thing that Microsoft is trying to get as many people as it can on the newest versions of Windows.

Having people stuck to the old versions has been a hamstring to the entire internet at times (old old browsers) and is a problem for them as a company trying to be relevant in the newer consumer electronics space.

Again. Argh!  LOL    A dramatic change to the user interface is a fun challenge for us peons who play games.  It's not a fun thing for the person who drags themselves out of bed at 5:30 AM to get to work by 8:00 and then has to sit down and learn a new Interface.

Analogy.  Do you want to drive your car every year with a new inside configuration just because the manufacturer thinks you need a new and improved configuration?  Your steering wheel is dead-center over the shift now. You have to straddle the shift in a new fangled car seat. Your accelerator is on the dashboard and the break is a button in the middle of the steering wheel.  Pretty cool huh?  And.....you get to learn a whole new configuration next year!

That's my last rant about FAMILIARITY with operating systems. ;)   Well......with you in the forum. :lol:   I got other other forums where I love to be persistent with Microsoft directly. B)     Nothing spoken, nothing happens.

What if I told you I was responsible for the Favorites folder in Windows Vista becoming a quickly accessibe sub-folder under the User account?  

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

Crusher, I just think you're overreacting a touch

Windows 10 is trying to be more of what most people wanted 8 to be in the first place.

Wasn't your point that "most will revert to W7"?

That came out in 2009!
SIX years ago.

Your car analogy isn't great since Honda probably has put out 2-3 car revisions of some model in that same space.

At some point you have to move on. I'm sure 7 will continue to dog MS for many years with people that refuse to move on, so I'm sure people that want to stay....can stay. It's all good.

For gaming though (since we are on a game forum after all) - windows 10 has been as good or better than 7 (and 8) for the variety of games I've tried on it. Everyone's mileage may vary but should give it a try, especially being free.

#13 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:02 AM

Quite ok old boy.  Some people analyze, others just follow the crowd. ;)

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:10 AM

Quite ok old boy.  Some people analyze, others just follow the crowd. ;)

lol - trying to figure out what you mean....but whatevs...

#15 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:23 PM

Again. Argh!  LOL    A dramatic change to the user interface is a fun challenge for us peons who play games.  It's not a fun thing for the person who drags themselves out of bed at 5:30 AM to get to work by 8:00 and then has to sit down and learn a new Interface.

Analogy.  Do you want to drive your car every year with a new inside configuration just because the manufacturer thinks you need a new and improved configuration?  Your steering wheel is dead-center over the shift now. You have to straddle the shift in a new fangled car seat. Your accelerator is on the dashboard and the break is a button in the middle of the steering wheel.  Pretty cool huh?  And.....you get to learn a whole new configuration next year!

That's my last rant about FAMILIARITY with operating systems. ;)   Well......with you in the forum. :lol:   I got other other forums where I love to be persistent with Microsoft directly. B)     Nothing spoken, nothing happens.

What if I told you I was responsible for the Favorites folder in Windows Vista becoming a quickly accessibe sub-folder under the User account?  

Not sure if I would claim anything in Vista.

• Tigers Agent and jimbob59 like this

#16 egl1219

egl1219

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

Just upgraded to Windows 10.  Up to now I love it.  No compatibility issues at all.  Good for you Microsoft! 

• Tigers Agent likes this

#17 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

He's right, it could get well polished but it's still no competition for Windows 7.

"Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been, but it has too many rough edges to attract Windows 7 users. Continuous upgrades could change that as early as this fall"

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:36 AM

He's right, it could get well polished but it's still no competition for Windows 7.

"Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been, but it has too many rough edges to attract Windows 7 users. Continuous upgrades could change that as early as this fall"

Lol. That's in 2 months. Crusher, just go for it and join an OS made this decade. You might like it! ;-)

#19 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

Hey Buck.  You got anything useful we could all use to make our techie lives better? I mean, like an original concept or theory? :D

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#20 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

Hey Buck.  You got anything useful we could all use to make our techie lives better? I mean, like an original concept or theory? :D

You got anything beyond "stick with 6 year old OS"...
  • Parboy, Tigers Agent and ✠ davef ✠ like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users