• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:11 PM

It's been quite the adventure, I started with a blank Unity stare
and a doodled jpeg. of a course. After only a few thousand
questions, most of which were answered with, RTFM!, I was able
to add my jpeg. to Unity, I thought, great, the hard parts over.
Turns out you can't play golf on a completely flat terrain in Unity.
More questions and RTFM! I was able to manipulate the terrain
into all the humps and bumps of a golf course. I thought, great, that wasn't
so bad after all. I posted some captures of my great accomplishments and
I was invited to beta test CF. Mastering Unity in only three weeks (not),
I thought great, this will be a breeze. Asking just a few questions (100 at least), I
was able to get CF to mate with Unity and all should now be gravy. What!, I have
to design my own textures to match the CF textures?, what type of evil magical
curse is needed to do this? Google It!, RTFM!, Yo Mama!. These answers spurred
me into the madness of icons and layers known as Photoshop. Learning to download
and create a seamless texture was not that bad, BUMPMAP!, what the heck is a
bumpmap? Yo Mama!
Anyway, you get the jest of the beginning, and now I'd like to thank
all of the members that probably would not care to have their forum names
mentioned in association with this project.
K11...The Eclectic Guru of CF, without his initial fierce innuendos, and minutely detailed
answers and videos this project would not exist. I shudder to think of the number of innocent
kittens eradicated by my constant Rookie questions. I could go on and on about his
graphical knowledge, but this will only cause more feline destruction. Thanks K.
Mike Jones...Father of CF and his little brother TF. What can I say, He's an Icon of Video
Golf and as far as I know, never sleeps. When he speaks, it's like the Godfather
making you an offer you can't refuse. His answers to me were always short and
to the point, like, Idiot! why would you do that? Just kidding, about the idiot part. Thanks Mike
Andrew Jones...Mogulbashing Mastermind of PG. Not seen much, doesn't say much, but when he arrives
you know you're in for a surprise. He thinks he fools me with that suit and tie avatar, but
I picture him in a stained T-shirt, a cigar, and a Merlot, thinking of golf night and day. Thanks Andrew
So many names, and I could give my thoughts on each one of the people that gave their time for the cause.
If I've forgotten anyone just holler and I' ll be glad to edit you in, if I didn't forget, YO MAMA!
RobC...many tips and tricks
Crow(Art)...Beta Tester
Daz...Beta tester,humor
Shimonko... Technical Entrepreneur
JoeF...Sound Advice
Highfade...Strategy, Tips
Axe... Funny pictures, entertainment
Richard... More Humor
JimBobH...CF and Unity advice
Pingzing2...Tester
Robbiet71...Tester
TheBigYin519...Techy stuff
Unique...tester
Dogz...tester
Thanks To all, and have fun at all cost.
aMTd74W.jpg
ofjRmSN.jpg
qy9jSVk.jpg
  • Harald, Volker, ✠ davef ✠ and 6 others like this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#2 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Looks great NoPutt.. congrats! 

#3 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Dang! I had no choice but to pardon the next kitten.... No biggie. I'll have a double whammy for my next one.

Correction, lest you frighten away too many readers: You do not have to create your own textures or objects. By all means you should, and credit for you for walking the extra 100 miles, but you can always use the default stock. But of course a home-cooked meal is a lot tastier than standard fare from the burger joint down the block.

Good looking piece of real estate, there. Certainly feels different to anything else on planet PG.

Oh, and does that mean that the incessant questioning will finally subside?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:24 PM

You are correct K, not about the questions stopping though. At that point in time

there was no ready-made terrain, or textures, or videos explaining all that was

needed and how to do it. 

My next questions to you will ask for explicit instructions on how to 

eradicate kittens without the red furry mess.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 catflap

catflap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

Very nice - course seems to have a very distinctive look.

#6 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

Looking good noputt, hopefully we'll all be able to play it soon 😊

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#7 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:15 PM

Pics look great.  Textures blend beautifully.  Congrats!

#8 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:16 PM

Looks so good I think I would actually hope getting into the rough some whilst playing. 

Dang! I had no choice but to pardon the next kitten.... No biggie. I'll have a double whammy for my next one.

Correction, lest you frighten away too many readers: You do not have to create your own textures or objects. By all means you should, and credit for you for walking the extra 100 miles, but you can always use the default stock. But of course a home-cooked meal is a lot tastier than standard fare from the burger joint down the block.

Good looking piece of real estate, there. Certainly feels different to anything else on planet PG.

Oh, and does that mean that the incessant questioning will finally subside?

WHEW - I had actually just finished your 5 video thread on textures and was basking among other things in the comment where you said CF will have its own textures and we can use those - I was so content  (which initially is what I want to do then perhaps delve deeper into the abyss of custom textures) then WHAM I read where NoPutt was having to design his own textures to match the CF textures so that he could make a golf course -- glad my episode of hysterical paranoia got cleared up thanks. 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#9 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

Great looking course NoPutt and can't wait to hit a few balls in that creek you designed.

#10 Kiwi Mace

Kiwi Mace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

Great work NoPutt!

#11 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 September 2015 - 11:54 AM

Thanks Guys, The Brushy Creek Project was lost

in a HD crash. It is playable and just needed a few 

minor tweaks when lost. The moonshine still exploded

in a fiery ball, sending Cooter and McTavish to

sour mash Heaven. The brother of McTavish has contacted

me about the grounds keeper opening and he will be arriving

at The new Dry Gulch golf site soon. Cooters cousin Dud has 

offered his help in supplying Dry Gulch with new adult libations.

#12 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

That's really unfortunate NoPutt.  Sorry to hear that.  Have you tried any file recovery programs?  There are many out there including one called Recuva.

#13 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Daily. Safety. Backup. Of. Entire. Project. On. External. HD. 

Out of grief and solidarity, I will pardon my next 10 kittens. Hm, 8 is enough... 6?.... still thinking...

• granite00 likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#14 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

Happened to me too lol... however, I had backups...!

#15 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 17 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

The course was finished except for some

smoothing issues Ian found around some bunkers.

PP still has my last beta and it is playable. Mike

said  he could possibly recover all but the trees and 

objects but I'm ready to move on. Maybe PP will stick

it in as a free user course sometime in the future.

New HD installed, external HD ready for Daily Project Back-Ups,

New course has begun, I'm just a bit grief stricken over McTavish

and Cooter, and especially the Shine!

#16 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:44 PM

It's to much work to not back up ? but backing up is a pain if you back it up you will never need it - the backup if you don't you might need it so if you need some more excitement in your life then don't back up 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#17 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

Backing up isn't too difficult but it's where you back it up. I appreciate we don't all have endless funds to be able to add several TB of HD's all in a row. I had 3 external plus the 2TB internal and one of mine failed recently. I lost 1TB of external HD and threw it away. Fortunately, I had an ikling it wasn't at its best and doubled up on it. I lost nothing. However, last year I lost my internal, and that meant no matter what you do, you lose something because you have to resort to your backups. It's the internals that always get you...

#18 granite00

granite00

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:49 AM

There are inexpensive services that perform backups every day.  When you're investing hundreds of hours into a single course, is $60 too much to pay for an annual subscription to a daily backup service?

#19 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:14 AM

Inexpensive can be different to everyone. I'm currently out of work... so I could ill afford it.

#20 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:34 AM

Mike has informed me that he has recovered
the heightmap and scene, all I'll need to
do is replant and add objects. I have all
the objects and plantings, so Brushy Creek
may be revived.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users