33 replies to this topic

#1 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

For those who do not follow TGC by HBS, the link below leads to a Forum thread of theirs that talks about PP and PG. 

Click here to read it!

Turns out we're just a bunch of fanboys with no love for TGC.  Hm... pot and kettle... 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

In the latter pages there is an interesting discussion about when to release a game.  Perfect Golf was always envisioned as a game that we keep improving with new and added features over time.  But we are also wary that release too soon and everyone has a habbit of pooping on ones parade so to speak.  It seems TGC is struggling with the same questions.  

• fungolfer likes this

#3 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I think with all forums there are fanboys and those who will diss everything. There are some mature posts over at TGC as there are here too.

I'm behind PG but that is not to say I won't have a good look at TGC at some point. I bought Links, JN, TW, etc over the years. Links was the one I played and still do. Links Corner and APCD gave that game longevity. Hoping for something similar for PG albeit better!

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:32 PM

Not forgetting Pick1Game posting PP's Perfect Golf project is nothing but a kickstarter scam, lol.

I don't frequent TGC forums anymore. Game is just a TW clone with a course designer IMO. Keep saying content will be added after release, but some of this is content that should be in at release eg. no out of bounds.

I've deleted the game from my HD, but may revisit it in the future, but not in any hurry.

• fungolfer likes this

#5 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

Ah gees, I didn't say I hated TGC. Come on, which one of you did? I just said it was utter garbage with stumpy legged avatars.

• TheBigYin519 likes this

#6 alantoft

alantoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, England

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

Come on guys. Lets get realistic.

Like everyone else here I am so looking forward (if at the age of 68 I live that long) to designing and playing courses in PP but after about 2 years of waiting for PP I am enjoying messing about with the TGC course designer. I've not yet managed to complete a course but the designer in TGC is gradually improving and it is not yet the finished product.

Surely there is room in this world for more than one golf game/designer.

When PP is finally available then comparisons can be made between the two, until then there is surely nothing to say.

• Harald, MERACE, karma4u and 1 other like this

#7 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

Like everyone else here I am so looking forward (if at the age of 68 I live that long) to designing and playing courses in PP but after about 2 years of waiting for PP I am enjoying messing about with the TGC course designer. I've not yet managed to complete a course but the designer in TGC is gradually improving and it is not yet the finished product.

When PP is finally available then comparisons can be made between the two, until then there is surely nothing to say.

+1 ^^

I loved your course designs in PGA Championship Golf 2000 (I just recently re-installed that game) and I'm looking forward to you releasing courses for PG and TGC.  B)

-MERACE

• karma4u likes this

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Indeed there is room for more than one.

But try telling that to some on TGC, who constantly claim PG/CF is nothing more than vaporware, just because there is no public BETA available in either game or designer platform, or even as referred to in the thread K11 linked, on TGC member claiming PG/CF is a Kickstarter scam, lol.

I don't have to like every golf game that is available, and I don't like them all, but this doesn't mean there shouldn't be a choice.

#9 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:56 PM

Ok, so there are fanboys on both sides of the fence. To be fair, the person that posted that HE thought PP was nothing but a kickstarter scam  was put down quickly. Anyone with any sense realizes that PP is not a scam. It would be nice if some folks could keep it real and coexist in a community that we all love....... :)

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#10 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

seriously.. I don't care

"What they say..."   

#11 IanD

IanD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

'Choices'... best word ever... except 'maybe'... but that's only in demand when someone doesn't have what they want.. with 'choices', you shouldn't need 'maybe's...

As for The Golf Club... I do enjoy a play on words... so, why have only one... ? Would it be better to suggest Meet the Clubs...? or perhaps Welcome to the Irons...?

Hmmm Perfect Golf....  I'm a bad beta tester... I can't play PERFECT Golf... I'm too phased wandering around the courses looking at everything so pretty...

#12 olazaboll

olazaboll

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

But try telling that to some on TGC, who constantly claim PG/CF is nothing more than vaporware, just because there is no public BETA available in either game or designer platform, or even as referred to in the thread K11 linked, on TGC member claiming PG/CF is a Kickstarter scam, lol.

I know what side of the fence you are Daz , but if TGC thinks that ,,,,, have they missed that PG is playable in a Golf simulator ?

(isn´t it ) ,,,,, Is TGC playable in a Golf Simulator atm ? ... either way ..... They can't blame PP for having a vaporware just because its not on beta on PC or Consols ....

• Davefevs likes this

#13 alantoft

alantoft

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationDerbyshire, England

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

At the moment there is only one choice. TGC is available to play and even though it is far from perfect it is improving week by week and is the only one available to play. The disappointing position with PG is that we have no idea what it plays like even after all these years.

Don't get me wrong, I am not pulling down PG but at present we have nothing, only words, to say that PG will be any better than TGC.

I like many others on this forum can't wait to be given an opportunity to design courses for PG.

#14 DaShotShapa

DaShotShapa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

Not forgetting Pick1Game posting PP's Perfect Golf project is nothing but a kickstarter scam, lol.

I don't frequent TGC forums anymore. Game is just a TW clone with a course designer IMO. Keep saying content will be added after release, but some of this is content that should be in at release eg. no out of bounds.

I've deleted the game from my HD, but may revisit it in the future, but not in any hurry.

Where is the pick1game?

MSI A88X-G43, AMD A10-5800K, PATRIOT PC3-10700 DDR3 16GB, AMD HD RADEON 7700 1GB DDR5, CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER X-FI, WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

#15 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

Good question rich. We'll play anything at the moment. But I suspect it's not a real game - only some guys nick. 

Never mind though rich, a truly wonderful post after a week of nothing.

Instead of 'Show & Tell", I was going to start a thread called 'Slow as Hell'.

#16 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 August 2014 - 10:39 PM

Where is the pick1game?

Rich,

It's not a game, it's the forum name of a member over at TGC forums.

;)

#17 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Ah gees, I didn't say I hated TGC. Come on, which one of you did? I just said it was utter garbage with stumpy legged avatars.

TGC is actually getting rapidly better as course designers familiarize themselves with their course designer application. Now that they have the the ability to do something as basic as draw their own shapes the course quality has skyrocketed. I don't think it's as good as CF, yet people are still pumping out some really nice courses with it! I wish there would be the option to go from TGC's unity app into the unity engine and have some crosstalk, but such an idea is probably forbidden in the money-seeking world.

That said, I'm still sticking with CF for course design. I feel Unity has far more options, and I don't want to be bound by certain "themes" for course appearance. Then there's the easier creation of real courses...just wait until we get that going! There are several good courses near me that I know pretty well for which I could play some more rounds there and collect lots of photos, maybe even ask the club for a deal (i.e. a small wad of cash or some discounted rounds) and maybe consult with their pros for a more accurate representation of what their golf course is like. I have thrown this idea around a couple of places and haven't gotten a single "not extremely interested" response yet. On the other hand, real courses are currently TGC's biggest weakness. In fact, the majority of real course recreations on TGC are literally abysmal.

Just my 0.02

• Luff likes this

#18 Data

Data

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Yes but you will find TGC is becoming a closed shop for designers there, you only have to follow posts by new designers who may be just as good, in some cases better than some of them there but they get no response from this bunch of  Ignorant groupies.

Some real good course designers there but the rest ? .

Meet the creator on you tube ? timwilsonuk give it up, embarrassing when interviewing some on there, for those that do not know, this guy video records a round with the course creator while on Skype or some thing similar while playing a round on their course, :rolleyes:

Real courses your absolutely spot on with that 1, bad is not the word and there`s more to come.

This sort of Sh*te can only force HB into adding features like PP course forge for creating real courses as they would have to be very hard nosed not to see that the Real courses created so far are an embarrassment.

#19 Adam T1

Adam T1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

Exactly. There is a half decent looking Pebble Beach in the works right now but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. Sahalee is not bad but that's about it so far. However, the good designers are out some really nice stuff that's fun to play, but the rest is just barely worked on generated ones. Fortunately, most actual designers post about their new works on the HB forum. People here probably should take a look at some of the stuff that has gone on there, especially Crawford Mines. Look at the first hole, it's pretty incredible. For those who are TGC haters, this course is an example of what can be created in this game with their latest GNCD. As designers improve, so does the game.

However, here we have Mike Jones and other talented people creating spectacular fantasy courses and using terrain data and other sources to create accurate depictions of any real course one wants to. The picture from Caves Valley with the sunset struck near home, as I live very close to that course and walked up that hole at the International Crown. It's the 9th hole from the course (played as 18 in the event). So although this is probably a bigger project and has been undergoing much more testing than TGC has, it certainly seems to be worth sticking with.

#20 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

Agree, the design work on Caves Valley is very good. Designers are starting to churn out more realistic designs now.

Still, two things that irk me with TGC and the GNCD.

1. The ball washer and golf bag an every tee. Why? Also, no option to remove them.

2. The cloned trees. Many of the pine trees on Caves Valley will have been placed by the GNCD automatically, by the designer upping the tree density level. Problem is, especially on ALPINE theme, is that the GNCD just plants the same tree over and over and you end up with a clone-tastic layout.

Cloned trees were always a bug bear with course beta-testers in Links 2003.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users