to build in JNPG. You may have to adjust the number of

birds in the flock and have flocks at different points on the course

to cut down on any stuttering flight that is explained in Highfades

thread in the beta forum.

https://www.assetsto...#!/content/3897

If animating your own Gary has a very good video in his thread that

explains that process.

If you are speaking of a video on how to add a flock from the assets store

I don't have one at this time, but, I'll see what I can do.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Please can someone recommend a video on how to add a flock of birds to my project. Thank you.

Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#2 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

I don't have any video but it was quite easy in the end to add.

I just put the whole "Bird Flocks" in the standard assets  >  Scripts folder.  Then you can drag any of the prefabs (free roam, wild few, etc) into your scene and change the settings in inspector.

I didn't use the seagull + sound as I find it very irritating.  I just place another sound source.

• IanK likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:00 PM   Best Answer

There are many Flocking Birds in the Store that

can be dragged into the assets/scripts folder

to build in JNPG. You may have to adjust the number of

birds in the flock and have flocks at different points on the course

to cut down on any stuttering flight that is explained in Highfades

thread in the beta forum.

https://www.assetsto...#!/content/3897

If animating your own Gary has a very good video in his thread that

explains that process.

If you are speaking of a video on how to add a flock from the assets store

I don't have one at this time, but, I'll see what I can do.

• IanK likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:30 PM

Many thanks chaps.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:55 AM

So this is a purchased asset thing then.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#6 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:24 AM

I don't have any video but it was quite easy in the end to add.

I just put the whole "Bird Flocks" in the standard assets  >  Scripts folder.  Then you can drag any of the prefabs (free roam, wild few, etc) into your scene and change the settings in inspector.

I didn't use the seagull + sound as I find it very irritating.  I just place another sound source.

Did this but when I dragged a prefab into the scene there was no object in the scene and no inspector panel for the bird flock.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#7 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

I'm crying blood with my bird flock bundle I bought yesterday. I have put the imported package into the "Standard assets > Scripts" -folder with many different ways (in sub folders like it was and straight into the Scripts folder(scripts and prefabs)). How can I get those flocks to work?

If I press play button in Unity, I can see the birds and butterflies and everything is good in scene and in the "game" mode in Unity. But nothing in the JNPG :angry:. I have tried about ten times to make new build of the course with a little different settings but no success. I have read your instructions but there is something I don't figure out.

Here is a link to one of my settings if this helps.

https://www.dropbox.....28.15.png?dl=0

If I add only one bird then it can be seen and heard in the scene, but it stays still (little movement in wings but not moving) and same in the JNPG. I have had prefabs in the same folder as scripts and in the sub folders of the scripts folder, but still nothing. Inspector shows the settings of the prefabs I have dragged into the scene and I can adjust settings just fine.

What shold I see when I drag for example "wild few" seagull flock to scene??

I see the big box and the little box inside of it that changes place. Then birds appear and follow that little box after play-button is pressed on.

Mike, Gary, Highfade or someone, pelease help. This is getting me nuts.

I thought that this was easy and did everything ready yesterday evening but I can't get these damn birds into the game.

Help is very appreciated.

#8 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

I'm crying blood with my bird flock bundle I bought yesterday. I have put the imported package into the "Standard assets > Scripts" -folder with many different ways (in sub folders like it was and straight into the Scripts folder(scripts and prefabs)). How can I get those flocks to work?

If I press play button in Unity, I can see the birds and butterflies and everything is good in scene and in the "game" mode in Unity. But nothing in the JNPG :angry:. I have tried about ten times to make new build of the course with a little different settings but no success. I have read your instructions but there is something I don't figure out.

Here is a link to one of my settings if this helps.

https://www.dropbox.....28.15.png?dl=0

If I add only one bird then it can be seen and heard in the scene, but it stays still (little movement in wings but not moving) and same in the JNPG. I have had prefabs in the same folder as scripts and in the sub folders of the scripts folder, but still nothing. Inspector shows the settings of the prefabs I have dragged into the scene and I can adjust settings just fine.

What shold I see when I drag for example "wild few" seagull flock to scene??

I see the big box and the little box inside of it that changes place. Then birds appear and follow that little box after play-button is pressed on.

Mike, Gary, Highfade or someone, pelease help. This is getting me nuts.

I thought that this was easy and did everything ready yesterday evening but I can't get these damn birds into the game.

Help is very appreciated.

Scripts from other assets imported  probably wont work with cf as they conflict, someone more technical might have a resolution for you

Looks like you will have to animate the Birds if there not moving, not sure about the wings not animating. i havent had time to download the asset and test it .

here is a video on how to animate objects

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByTR6w_prq1MUF9hNEFESXgxWDQ

Maybe this helps you, but someone else might have a fix for you

#9 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2017 - 12:44 PM

This should be compatible package with JNPG. Mike has said that you only need to put package's scripts to the Standard assets => Scripts folder. Others have put the whole package into that folder. I have tried both with no success. What am I missing? Gary had nice seagulls in Cypress Point. If you can help me Gary, I'd be very thankful.

My Package:

https://www.assetsto...!/content/25576

#10 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

I've got the same bundle, tried the same solutions...but no birds in game.

It must be possible because there are flying birds on some of the PG official courses.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:18 PM

Bottom line is that the scrips that your birds are using must be in the standard assets/scripts folder

Moving them to this location may break the connections you have in the bird flock prefabs so if they do not fly in the editor having moved the scrips they will not fly in game. 

Also make sure that any birds spawned are on the default layer.

#12 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

Bottom line is that the scrips that your birds are using must be in the standard assets/scripts folder

Moving them to this location may break the connections you have in the bird flock prefabs so if they do not fly in the editor having moved the scrips they will not fly in game. 

Also make sure that any birds spawned are on the default layer.

Thanks for answering Mike!

As you can see from my link's screen shot, the scripts are in the right folder. All the prefabs were not in the default layer but mostly they were so that doesn't explain that I couldn't get any birds into the game.

My birds fly fine in their boxes when I press the play-button in Unity (in scene and in "Game" tab). Before that, there are only boxes in the scene like you can see in my screen shot.

I'm sorry for my stupidity but what do you mean with editor? And if the connection is lost between scripts and prefabs, how can I get it back?

I don't think it's gone though because everything looks perfect when pressing the play-button.

Are we having the same versions of the bird flocks. Mine below:

https://www.assetsto...!/content/25576

All the advices from anyone who has made these bird flocks to work are more than welcome.

#13 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:22 PM

I have gotten the bird flock to show up in JNPG. I will make a Tutorial of what I did in a little bit. Stay tuned.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#14 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:52 PM

I have gotten the bird flock to show up in JNPG. I will make a Tutorial of what I did in a little bit. Stay tuned.

Thank you very much!

I was wondering one thing. In the inspector, after I have a seagull flock prefab selected, there is a field where I can drag the "Bird prefab". If I press the button on the right side of that field, the appearing windows says "none" and is totally empty. It stays empty even if I drag and drop bird prefabs into it. Is this normal? Or should there be all the possible bird prefabs from the current folder?

#15 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:53 PM

Well done Jim, love the little tutorials you do for us, Your a Gem buddy 

#16 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:09 PM

Ok, This is about the best I could do w/o having a mic. Just keep an eye on the mouse.

I only had the Crow but should work the same on the others.

Using the "JS" Scripts

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#17 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 16 February 2017 - 10:31 PM

Thank you very much!

I was wondering one thing. In the inspector, after I have a seagull flock prefab selected, there is a field where I can drag the "Bird prefab". If I press the button on the right side of that field, the appearing windows says "none" and is totally empty. It stays empty even if I drag and drop bird prefabs into it. Is this normal? Or should there be all the possible bird prefabs from the current folder?

I wouldn't be too concerned about that part of the Script, It is set up the way it should be, (as a part of that script).

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#18 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

Hi Jim and thanks for the great video. Unfortunately i wasn't able to get to the point of seeing the birds in the game although I do see them in CF. I think part of the problem is that I'm seeing different bird flock files to you. Here's what I see.

birdflockscripts_zpsrfp0epmb.jpg

I have a lot less individual js files than you but some seem to be rolled up in a unity something or other.

I did go through all the prefabs and made sure the layers were set at default.

In the image I'm pointing to 4 instances of js files. Do I drag those into standard assets/scripts. Do I need to drag the addons, demo and editor folders there or just the js files.

Do I leave the C#scripts where they are or can they be deleted.

Do the two example prefabs need to be kept or can they be deleted.

PC specs...

Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#19 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:24 PM

Just drag all the scripts from the "Editor" folder, looks like 10 of them.

I only had the crow package so is a little different. I only had 7 scripts to drag.

The Unity file Bird flock C and Bird flock JS files contain the scripts in case someone would need to change or re-import the scripts, so you just leave them where they are.

I didn't touch the addons scripts or Demo scripts

Edit: Looks like the scripts in Your Editor folder are C#,(hard to see). I used the JS scripts. To access those, Double click the Unity Bird flock JS scripts file and they will import to the Editor folder. Drag those to the Standard assets/Scripts folder.

I also deleted the C# scripts so there wasn't any conflict.

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Windows 7 Home Premium

#20 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Jimbobh! I really appreciate your help!

It wasn't easy but I figured it out and the honor belongs to you Jimbobh :D. The only thing different was the scripts in your video. The flock bundle comes with the .cs-files in scripts folder. So they are C# scripts and you were using java scripts (.js-files). There is a JS script package in the C# Scripts folder of the bundle and there are the needed java scripts but it still wasn't easy.

So do just as I say Clubcaptain and you will get this to work. Just to warn you beforehand, birds will have a quite major impact to fps if you over react like me :P.

Here we go.

1. Delete the whole Bird Flock and all the files that came with it from Assets folder or from it's sub folders (IMPORTANT: scripts must be destroyd too!!!!). This doesn't destroy your flock boxes in scene, they just dissapear for a while from the screen.

2. Go to asset store from Unity and select the download symbol from the top of the window. You can see all your downloads from Unity asset store. Select Bird Flock Bundle and press import. Then you will have a window where you can check and uncheck assets. UNCHECK all the C-sripts in the cripts folder and then press Import.

3. Now you have the Bird Flock again in your assets folder but no scripts. Now go to the C# Scripts folder and double click the JS script package and import those java scripts. They will go to the Scripts folder of your bird flock. Now your bird flock boxes should appear again to the scene.

4. Drag those .js script to the Standard asset => Scripts folder.

You are done.

If you try to do this in different way you'll probably fail. I tried many ways and this was the only way I got those .js-script files to work. If C-scripts are imported, Unity will not accept anything else.

Don't panic :o. May the force be with you!

PS. And don't forget to put default layer AGAIN in top of the inspector. If you don't, you will not see those birds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users