Photo

Lighting goes in and out in Editor

Best Answer Mike Jones , 15 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

It's a unity bug in 5.2.3 when you have 4 shadow cascades enabled. Turn your shadow cascades in quality down to 2 and it will go away. This is why we had to change the shadows in game to 2 cascades and the resulting loss of quality.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:25 AM

With aquisition of new lidar heightmap into Unity, I have sorta started a revamp on my previous build. This allowed me to load clean into Unity 5.2.3f1, bring in CFtutorial1.5, and get going on a fresh layers library. I am struggling with my lighting going in and out in the Editor when looking down at certain times. I can essentially do a head bob of "light on", "light off", "light on", etc. Quite annoying for any detail work. I am certain this may have been a problem solved months ago but has since escaped my brain. Any idea on what "initial build" action item I may have neglected?

If I click "OFF" the little "sun/light" button, I can work without issue. Maybe this is how I was doing it before but I get no shadows then and it's much harder to see contours.

Looking up

3Re2Ivw.jpg

Looking about 1cm down

v1UQOEN.jpg

#2 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:31 AM

here is few prior posts i found for you that could help 

Lighting

And that was with a brightnesses of 100% in the game. I have had this happen to my builds as well and usually the reason for that was that I forgot to dim the directional light of my scene to 0.85 as it should be for PG builds, and instead built with the brightness I used to be able to work in the scene.

There is a Dark Blackish cloud over my work area   Shadows 

which I usually have off while working. 
Y About shadows:  When I built my course I accidentally had the Shadow Type: OFF in  the inspector for the directional light.  Should be on soft shadows.  ou should have cast shadows set to soft shadows

put a human height marker in your scene then double click it in hierachy to zoom to it, that will clear the cloud

As long as no such point is being officially defined, I will set my courses to work best at Brightness 100.

Also, If it is a new project, Unity adds it's own directional light with it's own default settings. I usually delete the directional light and then just add another one, then set intensity to around .8 or .9 in Unity while designing.  According to Mike, Intensity shoud be set at .85 when building the course.
That sounds like your directional light properties -- you want it to be realtime. NoPutt was referring to the Lighting/Scene panel in the Window menu. 
All looks ok to me except for the positions x,y,z
I suppose people use all sorts of positions and rotations,
but I use what the new CF with terrain uses.
Position x 562.8 y 51.58 z 857.3
Rotation. X 34.6 y 330 z 0
The white dots around your meshes are from anti-aliasing,

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:41 AM

Did you untick the Baking boxes, and the Auto Build at the 

bottom right?

XDuez3A.jpg

Also just a guess, but check to see if you have more than

one directional light.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 09:57 AM   Best Answer

It's a unity bug in 5.2.3 when you have 4 shadow cascades enabled. Turn your shadow cascades in quality down to 2 and it will go away. This is why we had to change the shadows in game to 2 cascades and the resulting loss of quality.

#5 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

Tried to find these settings and didnt know where they were, so i found how to do this at unity website

Cheers for the tip.

https://docs.unity3d...tySettings.html

• IanK likes this

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the tips. Mike's answered resolved it. Apologies for a post on a previously answered topic. My advanced search was apparently not so advanced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users