Photo

Motion Swing... any ability to swap the useable axis?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Congratulations to the whole team at Perfect Parallel on bringing their creation to the masses. An extraordinary effort considering the size of the team and their independence from any of the established games developers.

I know the game will be as well-conceived and immersive as possible with the talents of the team behind it.

My question regarding Perfect Golf's 'Motion Swing' is, having studied the manual available through the Steam Community hub, the mouse motion to execute a shot appears to be a pull-towards/push-away, much the same as Real Time Swing in Links 2003. I was hoping for a side-to-side sweep, such as executed using the Powerstroke swing.

Is there a way to swap the axis currently, or planned for the future?

To make an axis swapable would mean that players who in the past have used radically different mouse movements (and swing aids, at least in Links 2003) would come together truly sharing a swing which united the two 'camps' in all but preference of axis used.

Regardless of the swing available, I'll be ready and eager to jump onboard and help to further the game's development on Thursday.

Well done once again to all at Perfect Parallel.

Mike

#2 Jimbobh

Jimbobh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationMaine

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

My question regarding Perfect Golf's 'Motion Swing' is, having studied the manual available through the Steam Community hub, the mouse motion to execute a shot appears to be a pull-towards/push-away, much the same as Real Time Swing in Links 2003. I was hoping for a side-to-side sweep, such as executed using the Powerstroke swing.

Is there a way to swap the axis currently, or planned for the future?

To make an axis swapable would mean that players who in the past have used radically different mouse movements (and swing aids, at least in Links 2003) would come together truly sharing a swing which united the two 'camps' in all but preference of axis used.

How about just turning your mouse sideways, That might work.

Gigabyte ga-z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU@3.1GHz 3.70GHz

GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
16GB Ram   (2)G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666L9S-8GBXL
Windows 7 Home Premium

#3 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

That it might JB... that it might! No way of knowing until Thursday, but sometimes the turning of the mouse through 90 degrees isn't the most accommodating of solutions if there is any button click interaction which is needed in shot execution.

Guess its a case of wait and see what can be done on release.

#4 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

Hi although horizontal mouse axis it won't be in the first week of EA we plan on adding it soon after the initial release as it's not a difficult function for us to program in. We just have to build the GUI element for it.

Curently the mouse swing isn't hooked up to the animation yet and instead moves the swing meter for the time being so you can see how much power is going into the shot. It functions exactly the same though and personally once I tried the motion swing I haven't clicked since! I have tried all the motion swings over the years in various golf games and to me the best one was PGA 2000 golf way back when. It was very much on our mind when we developed our motion swing as we wanted to bring tempo back into the mouse swings.

Now we control the clubface with the tempo, swing too fast coming down and you will close the clubface, we tie the swing path into the mouse path and we tie the heel and toe mis-hits into the offset value on the vertical axis as you swing through compared to where you started from. This brings in most of the key elements of real golf into our motion swing.

It's a pusscat to play with when all the aids are on but switch them all off and you better be ready for a real challenge :)

• MimicPS, Perculator, Splash and 2 others like this

#5 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:05 PM

I'm really looking forward to that Mike. That was my favourite swing method too. Incorporate that method with a controller and I will be very happy.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#6 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Hi although horizontal mouse axis it won't be in the first week of EA we plan on adding it soon after the initial release as it's not a difficult function for us to program in. We just have to build the GUI element for it.

Great to hear that the plan is to give the horizontal option. With that news, I know I can sell the rest of my fellow 'swipers' on taking the plunge!

Turned to Powerstroke back in 99 here, and apart from a long hiatus from the game during my 'lost' years of chasing work and women, have never returned to the click method. :D

• Perculator likes this

#7 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Will wait until I here the horizontal swing is available then.  Have no interest whatsoever in click swing or forward back motion.

I have always found Links powerstroke required a good tempo to get a consistent swing and snap.  However, I always thought it was a bit of an afterthought and wasn't developed to it's full potential.

Posted Image

#8 Splash

Splash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationUSA / Michigan

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

Thanks for the info on that Mike, I'm all motion swing so I was curious how it was going to work, sounds great and yes it'll make it challenging.

AMD 8350 @ 4.8 / XSPC Raystorm H2O Kit & RX240 Radiator

ASRock 990FX Extreme 9

Kingston HyperX Beast 1866 CL 9-10-11 @ 1.5 volt

EVGA 980ti Classified @ 1521 / 1.21 volt

2 Kingston 3K 120 GB SSD's [System & Game Drives]

CoolerMaster Silent Pro 1000w PS

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case

Panasonic 55 inch Viera Plasma 60Hz [DSR 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz for gaming]

7.1 Realtek Onboard / Optic Cable to ONKYO 1000w Rec. @ 24Bit / 192

7 Terabyte of Western Digital & Seagate SATA Storage

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Charter Cable Internet / 65MB sec. Down & 5MB sec. Up

#9 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

Curently the mouse swing isn't hooked up to the animation yet and instead moves the swing meter for the time being so you can see how much power is going into the shot. It functions exactly the same though and personally once I tried the motion swing I haven't clicked since! I have tried all the motion swings over the years in various golf games and to me the best one was PGA 2000 golf way back when. It was very much on our mind when we developed our motion swing as we wanted to bring tempo back into the mouse swings.

Now we control the clubface with the tempo, swing too fast coming down and you will close the clubface, we tie the swing path into the mouse path and we tie the heel and toe mis-hits into the offset value on the vertical axis as you swing through compared to where you started from. This brings in most of the key elements of real golf into our motion swing.

It's a pusscat to play with when all the aids are on but switch them all off and you better be ready for a real challenge :)

Regarding switching them off are they like on or off like toggles ... can we change them slightly or does turning some off and leaving some on accomplish that .. .. I will post more regarding this after playing the game ... thanks for the early release... 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#10 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 12:42 PM

Regarding switching them off are they like on or off like toggles ... can we change them slightly or does turning some off and leaving some on accomplish that .. .. I will post more regarding this after playing the game ... thanks for the early release... 

There are 4 modes in each of the 2 difficulty aids at the moment so you can mix and match to see how you like to play the game and at what level of challenge.

#11 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:33 AM

Thats Fantastic 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#12 fran21356

fran21356

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

I loved PGA 2000, it was the first golf sim game I played and enjoyed the mouse swiing. Your right Mike tempo did play a big part of swing. Is there any thought into reproducing some of those courses? I thought they were beautiful. I would love to be able to play those courses again in a modern game.

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

Just a friendly reminder.  One of the reasons for the low cost on Early Access is we want people to participate in the Early Access program and not to wait around for their thing to be developed before participating.  As a result we will be asking the people who are in the Early Access Program to help us prioritize what does or does not get prioritized.  If they all want controller swing to be developed before a horizontal swing they we will do the controller swing first.

• SJude likes this

#14 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:11 PM

I think as the early access already has a mouse swing option, I think a controller swing should come next. That is my personal preference anyway.
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#15 aftrshok99

aftrshok99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Missouri

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

Just a friendly reminder.  One of the reasons for the low cost on Early Access is we want people to participate in the Early Access program and not to wait around for their thing to be developed before participating.  As a result we will be asking the people who are in the Early Access Program to help us prioritize what does or does not get prioritized.  If they all want controller swing to be developed before a horizontal swing they we will do the controller swing first.

I like that you all are willing to listen and prioritize what the community feels should be done first (whatever that might be). To me that says a lot about you guys!!!  :)

Courses Created with Course Forge:

Bellerive CC

Fishers Island

Forest Hills CC - WIP

#16 Stephen Sullivan

Stephen Sullivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWorksop, Nottinghamshire

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

As a long time powerstroker with no interest in click I would like to see a horizontal swing before controllers, especially as I haven't had chance to use Course Forge  ;)

• Armand likes this
Posted Image

#17 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:27 AM

I also prefer horizontal mouse swing first.

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440
Logitech Gaming Mouse G502

3 Click PRO Level

#18 3199E5kennetharry

3199E5kennetharry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

what about us old guys who can't swing without a little shake, i like the 3 clicks thank you  kenny

Processor: Intel Core i5-7400 Kaby Lake CPU, 4 Cores, 3.0 - 3.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B250M-A Motherboard

Memory: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card

OS Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive

Storage Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk

Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 600W PSU

Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

#19 AlanBernardo

AlanBernardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:34 PM

Great to hear that the plan is to give the horizontal option. With that news, I know I can sell the rest of my fellow 'swipers' on taking the plunge!

Turned to Powerstroke back in 99 here, and apart from a long hiatus from the game during my 'lost' years of chasing work and women, have never returned to the click method. :D

Mike,

You must look me up when this game goes EA.  TGC was just not what I was looking for.

I am really pumped about this release.

Alan

• MimicPS likes this

#20 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

I think you all are going to have to engrave this statement into a wooden Plaque that you snail mail out to everyone to nail on the wall next to their pc because even though this concept is clearly stated in the early access info and on the forums it is not getting through but anyway, get the game tomorrow play it comment on it - the last thing they want to do is to work on something within the game that we do not even want or care about - they do not want to waste their time - But then this concept is foreign to use and we are used to rather being jerked around by a gaming company - but these guys are not a gaming company that is not their primary business. They are a legitimate business that is used to listening to and seeking the mood of the customer so that they can provide the customer with what they want so they can stay competitive and stay in business - and this simple concept of American Capitalism is no longer taught in school so all of young people cannot even fathom this concept - Gee I  am so ready for this game to come out so I can stop having to contend with my inner issues they are coming out in my posts. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users