#1 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:33 PM

that I am really looking forward to this sim.  As I've only ever played WGT with Legend tier, it is all I have to base my expectations of it in comparison.  WGT is a good sim...but it also has many negative issues that go unaddressed, and I'll not get into them here.   

I've read many of the forum topics here, but there are so many words/phrases used that I don't understand, so I get no knowledge from them.  I simply want to play a realistic golf sim that is as close to what I did in real life for almost 50 years and hope this is it.

One issue I would like to address now is the discussion on a shot timer.  I for one, am all for it and believe it vital  to the game.  30 or 45 seconds are (most often) not enough to properly assess the shot and execute it.  60 is good, 90 seconds is best.  There is more then enough time with either to make a shot.  But with no time limit, I'm almost positive the game would drag out...especially when in multi-player mode and you've got a newbie(s) with experienced players.  jmo but I think it is necessary to have some upper time limit with penalties incurred for going over.  I cannot over-emphasize how detrimental it is to sit watching the screen for up to 4 minutes (or more!) waiting for a player to either take the shot and/or reconnect to the game.

The second is a few questions.  If the mods (or other posters) are familiar with WGT, then you know how they acquire income.  In relation to clubs and balls, how does PP handle this?  Is there just one set for all?  Balls are all the same?  Is there enough in the initial purchased game to learn how to play it or will there be necessary purchases to advance ones skill?

It would make for a very good read if there was a item by item comparison of WGT and PG but I know that would be impossible.  I will buy this game and hope it is all WGT is and isn't.  And I will most definitely provide feedback for improvement(s) as I see them.  I also realize that it is impossible to transfer the skills required for golf in real life to a game, but one can only hope for as best as technology allows.  I sincerely hope this is it.

I want to thank all those involved with the making of this sim, for the time and money spent and the determination to see it come to fruition. 

• 3199E5kennetharry likes this

#2 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:16 AM

Spy88 - I think it is essential that you buy this game and am glad that you stated you would because this is an early release of the game and your input and other persons input is what is going to determine ... according to the developers of the games statements .. what they work on next. This is not the official release of the game but it is entirely playable at this point and along with others we need your input by your actual experience of playing the game and your comments. 

Unfortunately, according to your post you have only played WGT, There are many golf games out there that are nothing like WGT and these a lot of times are the older golf games what is great about Perfect Golf is that is has been made by people who have played many, many, different golf games and know in my opinion what the golfer like yourself really wants. From my understanding this golf game is not even going to have income in relation to balls and clubs and stuff this is not some arcade hook you into our vortex way of playing golf and we own your soul - and so that you can compete with others online you have to spend more money and buy stuff, NO !!  it is rather more like the fundamental, core, pillar golf games that started the pc golf game experience - You get a ball the same one everyone else gets and you get clubs the same ones that everyone else gets EXCEPT you get to choose 14 clubs I think it is one is the putter so you choose 13 other clubs which means more than likely you then choose what Woods and Iron clubs you want you can I think pick from irons 1 - 9 and then maybe some wedges and then what woods if any you want maybe 3w, 4w, 5w, 6w, 7w, but there will be more than 13 clubs to choose from but you pick which woods and iron you want and they are all the same - maybe there will be some different shaft choices in the future. 

Then you go play golf like it is meant to be played. This is not going to be arcade golf - 

Regarding a timer I think it was Tiger Woods online where I saw a timer. This was a welcomed concept in the game. I think your idea of a timer is great but it should not be showed down our throat it should be an option that the person who sets up the multiplayer game chooses to have or not so that if You Spy88 want to play with a timer you simply choose a multiplayer game that someone is hosting that has a timer.  A timer should not be shoved down our throat in solo play it would be fun perhaps if it was included at some point this would add some dimension to solo play and you could hone your multiplayer skills when practicing etc. And the timer should have different settings of times.  you could even incorporate optionally of course a random timer to add excitement wherein .. except for putting a timer would vary between 30 to 90 seconds ... so whoever you are playing against may get hit by a 30 second timer on an approach shot or drive and you could too but only randomly. 

Timer is a good idea 

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#3 Armand

Armand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

Hehehe .... people's perception/opinion of what is enough or a long time for a golf shot is interesting.  In my opinion, if it takes more than 15 seconds to plan and execute a shot, it's too long.  Different strokes, for sure ....   

:)

• ✠ davef ✠ likes this

#4 LasseThid

LasseThid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationMölndal, Sweden

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:38 AM

Adding the timer as an option for online games I might be ok with. Add it for solo play and I'm out of here for sure. Not because I overanalyse my shots or anything, I could care less about what I shoot. I play for fun and fun only.

• Keith likes this

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth P67 CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR 3 1600 MHz 8GB GPU: MSI GeForce 970 GTX Gaming 4G Sound: Creative Soundblaster Extreme Gamer SSD: OCZ Agility 3 64GB HDD: 1x 2TB, 1x 1TB, 1x 320 GB Western Digital PSU: Corsair CX 600W Chassi: Thermaltake Aguila

#5 Guest_deena_golf_*

Guest_deena_golf_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:41 AM

Its a good point raised - will there be a timer in single player mode?

And fun is subjective of course....

:lol:

#6 letorgan

letorgan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:39 AM

bonjour ;

un trou égale à 6 minutes en moyenne (?) ; un round donc 108       minutes en jouant tranquille ? un réveil en option est bien venue  

tradduction :

Hello;

A hole equals in 6 minutes on average (?); a round thus 108 minutes by playing quiet? An optional awakening(alarm clock) is timely

#7 karma4u

karma4u

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Do folks want a sim golf game, or a straight video game.........therein lies the difference, multi-player, speed , all feeds in to what to what different people expect out of a game..It is pretty difficult to even come close to satisfying all of the peeps that need satisfied......I truly wish PP well with their game, they have a lot of super people with them, including all the beta testers and designers waiting in the wings...All i'm sayin', is kinda relax, let the people do what they know what to do............Cheers  :)

• ed dawson likes this

Antec p100

i7@ 3.4..win 10-64bit..16gb ram..EVGA gtx970 FTW..4gb..ACX 2.0....Corsair HX750w & hydro cooler..

Gsync..2560x1440..144 hz..1ms 

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

It's all about options really.

It is funny that folks are asking for a realistic golf sim with top notch visuals, ball physics, weather etc. but then ask for arcade style features to be included, lol.

Each to their own I guess.
  • ed dawson and Splash like this

#9 MimicPS

MimicPS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

Maybe down the line we can have John Paramor coming out to your group and officially warning you that you are "on the clock" - j/k-ing.... or maybe not! :D

• Mike Jones likes this

#10 Jim Boags

Jim Boags

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWoodford QLD Australia

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:40 AM

It's all about options really.

It is funny that folks are asking for a realistic golf sim with top notch visuals, ball physics, weather etc. but then ask for arcade style features to be included, lol.

Each to their own I guess.

Yes I agree, it is funny. But it is also funny that there are alot new people visiting PP in the last week. Strange that. All with an opinion, some quite openly expressing what they want. And all that is fine, the more people involved the better.  However I think there should be a little respect shown towards members of the community that have contributed greatly to this site. They know who they are, I'm not going to single out anyone and I am not including any of the PP team here. The feedback that came from these people, well, I'm in the opinion that the PP team would not have been at this point without them.

Some may look at myself to 'admire' my contribution. They may see that I have posted only on about 20 occasions. Yep, Don't say much do I. But I have sat here and followed this site on a daily basis for the last 3 years (actually from about 3 days after the very first announcement) and have probably read every word ever posted more than once. This prevents me from asking questions that were covered back in 2012. 

Each to their own I guess, each to their own.

Jim Boags

* Asus SABERTOOTH-Z97-Mark1/4 x DDR3/2 x PCI-E

* Intel BX80646174790 I7-4790,3.60GHZ,4Cores,8MB CACHE Processor

* Samsung 500 GB SSD 840 EVO SATA III 6Gbs 

* Asus STRIX-GTX 970-DC2OC-4GD5  graphics card

* Corsair 16GB (2x8's) DDR3 1600 MHz Vengeance Pro Series

* Corsair Hydro Series H 105 Liquid CPU cooler

* Corsair AX860i ATX Power Supply

* LG 29UB65-P 29in AH-IPS, 2560x1080 resolution monitor

* Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit

#11 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:28 AM

Looking forward to getting people on board and finding out what they think when they finally have the early access version of the game. I think we have been very conscious from the start that it's not just about being a sim, it has to be fun too! 

You can't imagine the things we have planned for the future (or maybe you can) and due to our real life work with the PGA Tour, golf course designers and broadcasters, it's all very exciting but first and foremost we have to have a stable, realistic and fun game as a base for the future improvements and additions. Tweaking the control methods and adding new ones will be high on our list of improvements and then we will be 'all ears' when we hear what the actual players of the the game have to say.

• axe360, Richard, ed dawson and 5 others like this

#12 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

Looking forward to getting people on board and finding out what they think when they finally have the early access version of the game. I think we have been very conscious from the start that it's not just about being a sim, it has to be fun too! 

You can't imagine the things we have planned for the future (or maybe you can) and due to our real life work with the PGA Tour, golf course designers and broadcasters, it's all very exciting but first and foremost we have to have a stable, realistic and fun game as a base for the future improvements and additions. Tweaking the control methods and adding new ones will be high on our list of improvements and then we will be 'all ears' when we hear what the actual players of the the game have to say.

No, MJ, No.

Please refrain from having Dottie Pepper following me down the fairways, lol.

:P

#13 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

Definately need the "option" of shot timers for mulitplayer.  Probably will have to require them for certain formats.  Imagine some sort of ranked match play round that the losing person just sits on the deciding tee box for 24 hours trying to get a forfeit.

I understand the hesitation of some for these things, but face it we are in a gaming situation with poor sportsmans that will look for every advantage.  

Sad, but it is the reality.

Also Daz, you call this an arcade style implement.  But pro's play on a clock, and Tiger Woods can't set up a tent on 18 and wait for everyone else to withdraw from the tourney in order for him to gewt a cheap win.

#14 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Definately need the "option" of shot timers for mulitplayer.  Probably will have to require them for certain formats.  Imagine some sort of ranked match play round that the losing person just sits on the deciding tee box for 24 hours trying to get a forfeit.

I understand the hesitation of some for these things, but face it we are in a gaming situation with poor sportsmans that will look for every advantage.  

Sad, but it is the reality.

Also Daz, you call this an arcade style implement.  But pro's play on a clock, and Tiger Woods can't set up a tent on 18 and wait for everyone else to withdraw from the tourney in order for him to gewt a cheap win.

Too true, I think having a timer is a good idea and perhaps turning off replays as an option on Multiplayer games etc. 

#15 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:49 PM

We need timers but only if most people want then AND of course they need to be optional - I would also like it optionally in solo play just to add to my stress level and to test my current dosage of blood pressure medicine but I would still like it in solo play optionally. 

YES turning off replays  great idea (This  guy is great let him continue to brainstorm) Thanks  

(and yes I know hes an admin)

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#16 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

We need timers but only if most people want then AND of course they need to be optional - I would also like it optionally in solo play just to add to my stress level and to test my current dosage of blood pressure medicine but I would still like it in solo play optionally. 

YES turning off replays  great idea (This  guy is great let him continue to brainstorm) Thanks  

(and yes I know hes an admin)

I see this a a basic multiplayer functionality feature that if not implemented would be disasterous.  Especially when rankings and records and the like become features. ***

#17 mbidney

mbidney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:55 PM

Too true, I think having a timer is a good idea and perhaps turning off replays as an option on Multiplayer games etc. 

As long as the ability to save a replay remains for post match viewing I think that is great.

Sure will be nice to have a group of dev's that can be level headed about the needs of so many different groups.  Thanks Mike!

#18 Volker

Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Mike, Andrew, how about the forum and the discussion group on Steam? Will you use them parallel ( :) )  after the release. People are posting on both platforms now.

#19 spy88

spy88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

My apologies to LasseThid and J.H. for not differentiating between single player vs multi-player mode re the shot timer.  I was referring to MP only.  And many thanks to J.H. for the direct answers to my OP questions about clubs.

As good as WGT is, there are many issues within its design that are either detrimental, missing or not needed and I could easily list them or give you a link to illustrate many players frustration(s) there.  I won't as it would serve no purpose.  But one issue I will mention...through the mods on the forums there, any/all game play issues are either completely ignored or we get the "I'll pass this along" answer, even when they themselves asked for ideas from us for where improvements need to be made.  I sincerely believe PP will not do the same.

As AdMin MJ said, it is about having fun.  When staring at ones monitor for 2-5 minutes more then a few times during a round waiting for a player to act, this turns fun into tedious.  As would a replay option.

Daz, if you truly need only 15 seconds to make your shot, more power to you.  And although it may work with other golf sims,  I doubt you've ever played WGT.  mbidney's  post is very pertinent to the issue.  Any option that slows actual game play is detrimental to the overall enjoyment of those participating!    jmo

Volker, I tried to post on Steam but wasn't allowed being told I had to "spend to speak".  As I've not made a purchase there, I've relegated my comments to this forum.  If my purchase of PP tomorrow is good enough for them, then I may post there but right now, I've no idea which forum holds sway with those of us wishing to give input to the initial game.  Maybe a AdMin has already answered this but I've not seen it and would also appreciate knowing.

#20 Ron Piskorik

Ron Piskorik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationFlorham Park, NJ

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:14 PM

Very good Idea. 

Alienware Area 51 R2
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Six Core (15MB Cache, Overclocked up to 3.9 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
Intel® X99 Chipset (Intel® DHX99 PCH)
32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory
256GB SSD 6Gb/s Main
Centauri CPU heatsink
4TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti with 6GB GDDR5
Killer™ E2200 Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card
Integrated Creative Labs Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Logitech G810 Artemis Spectrum gaming keyboard
Dell 27 Gaming Monitor - S2716DG at 2560 X 1440