#1 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationNewtown, Pennsylvania

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone know the most efficient way to get billboards to rotate towards the camera?

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

Depends...

If you mean grass billboards, double click on the icon in the grass painting palette to bring up its edit window and tick the box that says "rotate to camera" (or tick it upon opening a new grass and importing the image). 

If you mean billboard as any other 2D plane that contains an image or a cutout and is NOT in the grass palette, there is no way to tell it to rotate to camera, not afaik. And the same would apply to 3D objects. Only grasses and bush billboards can be told to rotate.

There may be 3rd party scripts to help you with that, but these might sabotage your course since PP and CF do not work well with them.

Other designer guys around here: I was off for the last day. So, a help request is left unanswered by anyone for 24h? Really? Are we slacking off on our newbie rescue duties now?

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 28 March 2017 - 05:56 PM

Not a slacker, was just unsure of what the poster was after,

a capture would have been helpful.

Speaking of slackness, just how long of a CF hiatus

are you taking? Surely there must be something cooking

besides kittens. 

• Kimmer1947 likes this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for the rescue, k11.  I was wondering how other designers were navigating around this.  I was trying to work around not using the 2-plane trees.  Thanks for the info.

#5 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

Speaking of slackness, just how long of a CF hiatus

are you taking? Surely there must be something cooking

besides kittens. 

Nope. I will re-enter the trade once/if the next CF upgrade is made available, presumably many moons from now. I would not want to start something new and be caught out by an upgrade in the middle of it. I crave for new CF arrows in my quiver and will not fire a shot until I get them.

I miss it, though. It's has become a bit of a staring contest between me and PP's glacial rate of foot-dragging progress.

I might yet blink...

Or will I? 

• RobC likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

<<<<<

#6 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

I once tried to put in people/spectators as grass objects to always face the camera. It worked fine but unfortunately they were all swaying in the wind.

• IanK likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#7 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yup. I tried the same with trees, to get more variety of them in remote parts of the plot, to get photorealistic trees (as opposed to the mediocre Speedtree fare) and to economise on tris. Same result. Also, I forgot that grass drawing distance would render remote trees invisible anyway - Doh!

rmoor13, if that's what you tried to achieve, it's a zero sum game: Every tree, sooner or later, is being transformed into a billboard that will rotate to camera. They all come with LOD settings (Level of Detail) that automatically trigger this.

And that's why a dense forest in the far distance affects performance a lot less than a single tree in front of your nose. 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

<<<<<

#8 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:44 PM

It would be a bit of a pain as all work arounds are but could you set billboard to 100% in LOD settings and turn off wind to get a static tree that rotates to the camera? This would be a Speedtree import obviously.

You could even place people as rectangular meshes in Speedtree with correctly done alpha as your material and then plant with Unity tree tool.

Maybe you can't control Speedtree billboard. But you could still have a plane as your LOD0 with no wind, I would think?
  • highfade likes this

#9 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

I once tried to put in people/spectators as grass objects to always face the camera. It worked fine but unfortunately they were all swaying in the wind.

That would be fine for a crowd at the Masters as most of the 'Patrons' sound drunk anyway!

• highfade likes this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#10 rmoor13

rmoor13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had been experimenting with camera-facing billboard
scripts and shaders to no avail. I just couldn't get them to work in JNPG.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users