Photo

Do you still use realistic or bumpy greens

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Realistic or bumpy greens (85 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you still using realistic or bumpy greens

1. Yes, quite often (51 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. Used to but not anymore (23 votes [27.06%])

Percentage of vote: 27.06%

3. Never used it and never will (11 votes [12.94%])

Percentage of vote: 12.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:56 PM

Just curious, I noticed it's not used on the OGT anymore and personally I'm not using it as the cup physics give me enough of a penalty.

• CHAZNEWBY and trailblazergolf like this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

I liked it, but it just wasn't realistically implemented IMO. My brother was getting really frustrated by it, especially when they were happening almost straight off the club face and so we rarely use it now in our online games. (we only tend to use it on the easiest courses)

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

#3 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

It's being used in the 2nd round of the Great River 2 round exhibition.  If the cup physics can get a little tweak, we might bring it back on tour.

• trailblazergolf likes this

#4 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

As long as my local municipal course is less bumpy no way.

#5 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

I use it every time I play.  When the flat option is turned on, I fear no putt.  I'm like 80 or 90% in scrambling and sand saves.

• Ron Piskorik likes this
Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#6 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I tend to always use 'realistic' or 'bumpy', depending on the type of course I feel could realistically have these greens. Mountain courses I mostly check 'bumpy'. Most of all the courses I check 'realistic'. Only for the top notch A+ real courses (like Augusta) I feel using 'perfect' is .. well 'realistic' :).

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#7 StoneComet

StoneComet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:27 PM

Greetings,

I have not been playing much lately (just busy with other games for now) but when I do, always realistic. I second Crow357's comments. Perfect is just too predictable even without a grid. I just do not seem to see those really weird anomalies that others seem to see all the time. Every once in a while I get a head scratcher but I get those more often in real life. Maybe my municipals are just not up to snuff like some others claim theirs to be.

I guess it could be toned down a tad for those that want something like it but feel it is slightly overdone. The more I play with the cup physics the more I like them, baring the rare visual anomaly. Honestly, I very rarely get those at all. Plus Iv'e seen my golf ball do strange things in real life as well. I guess it just depends on your perspective.

I'm just waiting for the Win10 edition. I don't think anything else will prompt me to play as often as I did before. Don't get me wrong, I still love the game. It's a great game in my opinion as is so Win10 should be lights out. I'm sure the devs, once they get these new builds behind them will revisit and tweak both the green settings and cup physics if the developers feel it is warranted. More players and opinions forthcoming with the new releases that will give them a wider perspective on user satisfaction with either of these features/physics.

See you around.

SC  B)

- We would be wise to remember that extremism is the real enemy and to keep ourselves aware so as not to become extreme ourselves; otherwise the enemy wins. -

#8 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:29 PM

have used only realistic since its inception.

#9 SReesor

SReesor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLake Huron, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Only realistic as well, bumpy on some links courses for giggles.

RTS-M Pro/Bare

#10 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Use realistic in all my recreational play.

If practising at Woody's I'll use 10 stimp and perfect.

When playing tour site comps, obviously I use whatever they set.

But, do agree with Adriaan and think it does need a revisit and tweaking as odd roll deflections do come across as a tad over exaggerated.
  • Tresclub and scoops100 like this

#11 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

Bumpy:  for courses known for them such as West Coast courses with Poa greens late in the day.

Perfect:  for courses with outrageously manicured greens, such as Augusta. Usually paired with a high stimp.

Realistic:  everything else.

#12 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I use them all, but the realistic is a favorite for me.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#13 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

I use realistic if playing pro and bumpy if playing amateur. Since I've done this my putting stats are a little more realistic. Fewer rounds with low 20's in putts. If they made putting a little harder I probably wouldn't use them.

#14 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

Perfect for Augusta, realistic for the majority of play and bumpy on some occasions for wilder looking links courses and some muni type courses.  Personally have zero issues with the cup physics and see no reason to tweak them.  The ejector cup bug and some of the visual oddities should be looked at, if possible.

• Ron Piskorik and Charles like this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#15 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Almost always realistic. I find it the right mix. Golf is slightly unfair sometimes.

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#16 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

I play strictly tournaments and whatever the setup is and Trump OGT and PGLS they play mostly all perfect. Whatever they setup I will play.

#17 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:09 PM

I play strictly tournaments and whatever the setup is and Trump OGT and PGLS they play mostly all perfect. Whatever they setup I will play.

I do the same thing. Whatever is served up in tournaments and ladder competition I play without any complaints.

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#18 gravedodger

gravedodger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationThe northy part of Ireland

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:34 AM

Realistic has been my default choice ever since it was introduced.

#19 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

I only play OGT and play-testing my own designs so I use perfect greens.  I think for something like a career mode, realistic would be my choice to keep the scoring in check and add an element of getting screwed over.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#20 Acrilix

Acrilix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts
  • LocationBedford, UK

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

It's interesting that the people who use it are very vocal.... everyone except me in this thread, and yet the poll shows it is only 60-40.  :lol:

life ................... don't talk to me about life ................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users