#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

I'm trying to get back to playing a couple of rounds after the summer break but I'm having a hard time to really enjoy it.

Thing is, the game is just too easy. Playing 3-click TP shooting -8 on a difficult course shouldn't be so easy.  Even 14 stimp, firm greens, soft/hard  fairways, windy and realistic greens doesn't help much.  I sometimes wish the putts to miss just to keep the score realistic. 

Someone asked for custom difficulty and I think it's a good idea. Not to open a can of worms it can be restricted to offline play but at least you can crank up the snap penalty for putting and short game. It is almost impossible to pull or push a short putt, zero tension whatsoever.  The stats on OGT are about 20% better that PGA stats for putts between 5 and 10ft?

I can still recall the focus and concentration needed to grind out a even par round on one of the harder courses in Links 2003, and that was playing on Pro and not Elite.

Please don't tell me to play another swing method. :)

• jmk59 likes this

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:31 PM

kind of funny last night i said on Teamspeak, it is about time for the posts to start that the game is not hard enough.

don't have a good response for the post as im thinking the game is playing better right now ,then it has yet and enjoying.

as for it being easy, i say not i think us folks who have been around here for the duration are just getting better, learning more,and making

better shot decision's.

nothing against another mode of play,but just how much would it get used,and is it worth the 

time it would take to be developed .

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#3 GoldenBear

GoldenBear

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

" It is almost impossible to pull or push a short putt, zero tension whatsoever."

I now have went from tour pro to amateur because of the erratic meter same as my friends and still shank many putts every round due to slides, jerks etc.  It must be a wonderful experience to have a working meter.  Possibly one day PP can master it for ALL like other pc golf games have for over a decade.

• 3199E5kennetharry and JoeSmith like this

#4 Briso

Briso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

You must be winning every event you enter if it's that easy.

Why don't you try playing blinfold?

#5 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:56 PM

You must be winning every event you enter if it's that easy.

Why don't you try playing blinfold?

That's an interesting observation, Brisco (no sarcasm intended).

I think there is too much digital information available (exact distances and elevations) that allow us to "dial-in" the perfect shot or putt.  Maybe the next (higher) difficulty level will come with only the caddy's  club suggestion (no distance, elevation, or wind speed), and a BLI with only a slope severity indicator (line length or color coded).  This is basically Ted Ball's "bare golf" setup.

• Ted_Ball likes this

#6 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:59 PM

@highfade

With a good system and connection Tour Pro has a better 3click "snap" than any other level.  I still would not call the game easy.

Add "strong breeze" on hard 14 greens.  Though I think you might be taunting the forum with the concept of "too easy". ;)

Let's see a screenshot of the leaderboard from the tournaments you play and have placed in the top 10.  If you say you don't play at PGLS or OGT tournaments - then this whole discussion is moot.  We need proof of your perspective.

Edit:  If you are using one of the three methods to aim that are glitches in the game, then stop using them.  All three work in TP and P.

Be honest:  Are you the player named "Step" at PGLS who wins 98% of all tournaments as a Tour Pro?

• scoops100 likes this

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

xqc8g0-2.png

🏌️‍♂️                                                       🏌️‍♀️
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

⛳                          🏌️‍♂️                             🏌️‍♀️                              ⛳

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#7 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:10 PM

With a good system and connection Tour Pro has a better 3click "snap" than any other level.  

you know i wanted to post this long ago. i hit a much better percentage, of solid snaps on TP then Pro maybe

even twice as many. did not post prior to this for being called krazy or something.

not like i don't have a big target on my back.lol

• scoops100 and Crusher like this

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

Klipsch Sound System

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

That's an interesting observation, Brisco (no sarcasm intended).

I think there is too much digital information available (exact distances and elevations) that allow us to "dial-in" the perfect shot or putt. Maybe the next (higher) difficulty level will come with only the caddy's club suggestion (no distance, elevation, or wind speed), and a BLI with only a slope severity indicator (line length or color coded). This is basically Ted Ball's "bare golf" setup.

What about keeping distance and limiting some detail on elevation & wind?

The BLI is what I think should go (on higher levels) ..
I guess limiting what it could show, per your suggestion, seems like a good compromise at least.

The BLI is way too much detailed information in general.
It's more like a course design analysis tool than anything realistically analogous to being on a real course and what you'd have for information.

#9 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

I think there is too much digital information available (exact distances and elevations) that allow us to "dial-in" the perfect shot or putt.  

The only times when I felt close to simulating the challenge of 'real' golf was when I was completely BARE. 

While there is no option to play PG1 without ALL assists (that's what they are kitty kats) at TourPro  and without the faffing around with Control/Alt/U then people will naturally use ALL the assists. Tell me...how many TourPro players use the bloody grid (in conjunction with the BLI)? You are dead right J. It is 'Dial-o-Golf'. How incredibly boring.

And now there'll be a post saying 'why don't you play blindfolded?' (with respect Briso) as if it's the dumbest thing in the world. 

The point is there definitely should be a 'Realistic' level above TourPro for people who want that option. This is not something to be ridiculed.  If I can go out completely BARE and shoot mid 70s and having the number of putts in the high 20s then it is legit. That type of competition requires actual hard work and experience and therefore it would be a true competition.

Unfortunately an effective BARE golf set-up will NEVER happen here.

#10 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:48 PM

Buck - IRL would you know the exact distance to the pin, on approach shots (within a yard)?  Maybe replace the overhead with a caddy book that you could write your own notes in?

Edit:  Ted - it could be a reality if PG would provide the console commands to turn any digital info. off, but leave the 3C meter on.

• Ted_Ball likes this

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:17 PM

Buck - IRL would you know the exact distance to the pin, on approach shots (within a yard)? Maybe replace the overhead with a caddy book that you could write your own notes in?

Depending where you play sure.
I've ridden along in carts with quite detailed info onboard and with plenty of players yanking out range finders all the time.

In any case, the distance isn't my big issue. Wind and elevation changes make that plenty of challenge usually.
The other assists are a bigger problem I think.

#12 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

I think the long game is okay but with the super slow meter,  pitch, chip and putt; it's just too easy to hit the snap and even if you miss it the penalty isn't that great.  A faster meter and/or more penalty would help.

I use to play on the OGT but got bored with the winning score every week in the -20 to -40.  Like I said, even if it is just for offline and private  play, to customize your own difficulty would be great.  Also not a great fan of taking information away to make the game harder.

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

#13 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

If we are pretending to be Tour Pro players that sort of "aid" would get you DQ'd.

• Crusher likes this

#14 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

@highfade

Be honest:  Are you the player named "Step" at PGLS who wins 98% of all tournaments as a Tour Pro?

I'm not "Step"    I'm highfade :)

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:28 PM

If we are pretending to be Tour Pro players that sort of "aid" would get you DQ'd.

It's pretty well established that the difficulty level naming is off as the names do not necessarily seem to represent a particular experience that is supposed to be getting emulated.

I honestly don't know what the real PP goals are with the levels and how they are named, etc.

I mean, should Tour Pro have a map with your location geo-mapped on to it?
(Not if emulating being a Tour Pro)

These things are all affordances due to playing a digital approximation of the sport. The real debate is just which add too much help (like the BLI)....but "too much" according to what and whom is where it all falls apart.
  • jmk59 likes this

#16 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

The only times when I felt close to simulating the challenge of 'real' golf was when I was completely BARE. 

While there is no option to play PG1 without ALL assists (that's what they are kitty kats) at TourPro  and without the faffing around with Control/Alt/U then people will naturally use ALL the assists. Tell me...how many TourPro players use the bloody grid (in conjunction with the BLI)? You are dead right J. It is 'Dial-o-Golf'. How incredibly boring.

And now there'll be a post saying 'why don't you play blindfolded?' (with respect Briso) as if it's the dumbest thing in the world. 

The point is there definitely should be a 'Realistic' level above TourPro for people who want that option. This is not something to be ridiculed.  If I can go out completely BARE and shoot mid 70s and having the number of putts in the high 20s then it is legit. That type of competition requires actual hard work and experience and therefore it would be a true competition.

Unfortunately an effective BARE golf set-up will NEVER happen here.

no BLI here i do use the grid. i always looked at that BLI as a putt preview so i have always had it off

Klipsch Sound System

#17 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

Meter is too big and I would have liked a progressive swing meter for 3clik. Starting in novice as slowish, speeding up thru pro then the fastest at TP. No one listened. :blink: :angry: :P

• Sinewiz, Tresclub, ✠ davef ✠ and 1 other like this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#18 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

I appreciate the Dev Team is only small but with PG they had an opportunity to take the 3C meter to the next level and early posts from Andrew back in the day were suggesting possibilities of a 4 click meter and some form adding extra elements to a click swing not seen in previous games.

Sadly, for whatever reason, the meter evolved in to a standard circa 1990 3C meter. At least the power gauge wasn't a simple 50% power gives half the full distance, but after sometime getting accustomed to it, you start to,learn where to stop the power to get your desired distances. Maybe an increase in meter speed might help as I feel it is just too slow at times.

I'm a little like Adriaan in that I played PG a few weeks back in a couple of the PGLS events, but it didn't give the buzz to want to come back and play again and again. I probably will from time to time, but I think my competitive days are done with PG. I usually just end up firing up the range and hitting a few balls to pass some time, but don't have that urge to go out on course and actually play.

Not sure exactly what PG2 will be offering swing and gameplay wise, but I hope it is more than just 3D turf and improved lighting. If the PG gameplay is ported in to PG2 as is, it may be something I'll pass on and I'll stick with my driving titles and RPG's. 

• axe360 likes this

#19 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:06 AM

It's hard to be optimistic about PG2 when you consider the track record of PP in their uptake of new innovations or even the handling of the miriad of bugs and fixes needed in PG1. They even go backwards at times (the FOV debacle). What can you really expect out of PG2 in the way of innovations or simply implementing things that one would expect in 2018. This team does not fill me with confidence.

So 4th quarter 2017 is gone; 1st quarter 2018 is rolling along. Revise your estimates realistically people. Originally I would have said 2019 or never. Oh well...

• Perculator and GoldenBear like this

#20 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:01 AM

"It's pretty well established that the difficulty level naming is off as the names do not necessarily seem to represent a particular experience that is supposed to be getting emulated." Buck

Buck - I agree with you 100% on the name of the difficulty groups.  The Tour Pro name reflects the club set it's modeled after - the PGA 2013 Trackman averages.

[attachment=1423:PGA 2013 Trackman.jpg]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users