8 replies to this topic

#1 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:57 PM

Is there a difference in the game between the different types of rough? Currently designing my first course and i’m finding it difficult to fit all the splines in. Any advice would be much appreciated.

#2 Crow357

Crow357

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Yes, Semi is the First Cut of rough.

Rough would be the primary rough.

Deep Rough would be somewhere you don't want to be.. :)  I have seen power loss as high as 30% in the deep stuff.

Some courses have alot of first cut and others none.  It all depends on what you want.

Win 10, i7-7700 @4.2 ghz, 16GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 1080
Swing Type: Tour Pro Wireless XBox 360 Controller.

#3 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Most people get away with using just the semi rough as your outer rough, i think the terrain itself acts like rough, then if you want to add areas of deep rough in places you can always just place it cut out mode, which makes it invisible but retains the properties of deep rough...so i'm told.

• worrybirdie likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#4 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

Doggs, that is exactly something I was going to post as a question!  Can you make a spline transparent so the textures underneath are unobscured, yet the physics properties still work? (and how?) Sure would be nice to be able to make the pretty textures and grasses actually have an effect on the ball.

#5 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:57 AM

The course I’m building has ferocious rough so if I had to make a choice then I’d go fairway, semi then deeprough. If the terrain acts as rough with only 3-10% penalty then it will play too easy. The dilemma is whether to get the gameplay realistic or the graphics realistic (assuming the physical attributes of terrain are just rough).

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:45 AM

pretty sure its more than 3 - 10 %  you can get more than that in semi rough.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

I'm fairly certain that whatever your last spline is, what is outside

of it will play more difficult even though it will read as rough.

In other words, if your last spline is Rough, the Terrain

outside of that spline will play as Deep Rough even though

it will read as Rough in game. Weren't there some experiments on this?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#8 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:17 PM

That would be good info to have.
It would be good to have areas that required a wedge back to the fairway (good in the realism sense that is).

#9 crazycorey44

crazycorey44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:50 PM

The course I’m building has ferocious rough so if I had to make a choice then I’d go fairway, semi then deeprough. If the terrain acts as rough with only 3-10% penalty then it will play too easy. The dilemma is whether to get the gameplay realistic or the graphics realistic (assuming the physical attributes of terrain are just rough).

If the course you are designing has pretty bad rough, I'd just use Rough outside the fairway about 15 feet wide or so giving you about 15% power loss, then Deep Rough outside of that about 25 feet or so, which will give you more room to fit it in. The Semi Rough is almost like fairway, about 3 - 7% power loss, I wouldn't use it. Any terrain that is outside of that Deep Rough spline, that you have painted, will be like deep rough as well I believe.

CrazyCorey44 2016 OGT Olympic Champ

i7-6700k  oc@4.60GHZ
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Z170 
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 4x4GB DDR4 2133
XFX Radeon R9 290X 8GB DirectX-11.2 DDR5 512-bit
Noctua NH-D15 cpu cooler
ViewSonic 144Hz Monitor 
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit DX 12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users