#1 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

I grew up in a little town in South Wales UK called Caerphilly ( pronounced kya-philly, like kyak without the end K ) the joys of the welsh language eh  :D   

Anyway, Massive thanks to Justin for the heightmap, i'm so very appreciative to be able to create my home course.

I played at this course for over 15 years before moving on to something a bit longer as it is quite short in length, but don't let that fool you, this course can and will ruin you from time to time.  The course is built onto the side of a mountain and slopes edge onto greens and fairways everywhere.  You will also be playing up and down hills, some short par 4's play much longer.  The greens are small and the fairways narrow and playing it in PG requires a whole new strategy, like coming in flat with short wedges on up hill holes that spin back and leave you off green, approach shots that catch a green side slope and roll on thru past the pin.  I was totally expecting to rip this course to pieces because of how short it is...i was in for a welcome surprise. 

I will post a beta once i have it fully playable.

gc30PQx.jpg

3CH93c2.jpg

• LeazesNDR, M Rose, balaceanca81 and 4 others like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#2 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 March 2018 - 10:05 PM

It's fun to do a home course.

I was skeptical about doing home courses, only because I guess I thought maybe people wouldn't find them that interesting (and maybe too easy and short for video game golf).

Then I saw one of them on TV last year hosting a new LPGA event and thought I better do it.... so I got lidar for it and started it. I'm going to try to release it in time for this year's tournament. It's quite a rush doing a course you are so intimate with and have played countless times, especially when you actually lived on it at one time and have a chance to re-create a house you lived in for several years. It's funny how much you actually remember in your mind. There are places in the fairways that are so amazingly familiar to you even though it's a computer game.

After that I may try to get the muni I grew up playing as a junior and high schooler, and later worked at. The only thing is, there are things I always wanted to change about it, so I'd be tempted to actually put some of them into practice :)

• DoGgs likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#3 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 03:14 AM

Yes Matt its spooky at times how close it feels to the real thing, a familiar feel that conjures up memories of my years spent there..great feeling. This course has many holes that stand out in your mind, not that they are great or anything, but there is a certain quaint charm about them that only muni courses have.  I was more skeptical of doing it justice, because it has quite a few fiddly areas that are all close knit and are not course forge friendly, little areas like drainage ditches that would benefit from a more smoother sculpting touch to dig them out etc.  In real life the course has a few scruffy areas, nothing is really pristine and finely cut and trim, lol this is perfect for my design style  :D

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#4 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 05:21 AM

My muni was by most standards, fairly typical and yet it had two or three really unique and memorable holes that still stand out in my mind to this day - and I've been to places like Pebble Beach and the Melbourne sandbelt.

At the time I wouldn't think anything of it because it was the only 18 hole course open to the public and until they started letting the high school players onto the country club, the one golf course I played 90% of my rounds at every year. Of course now it's been 20 years since I've been there and I really wish I could go back and play it again.... especially since I've become a much better player in my 30s and 40s than I ever was as a teenager.

• DoGgs likes this

#5 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

OK we have a V 1.0 if anyone is interested  file: https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Will also post to the usual places

LOL!  great... I have actually done this in real life here, (video) only the once though, course was bone dry in the height of summer.  Hit a 3W and the rollout was prob over 150 yds. took driver here because i have more bravado with computer golf  :)   spooky to see the same in JNPG...lovely stuff.  I even got the Gorilla achievement (drive over 400 yds) was wondering where i was gonna get that.  :D

• balaceanca81 likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:34 PM

full course play thru with commentary, check out holes 3 and 9 both par 4's where i reached the green...more fun playing in  real life thats for sure.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

I will play it with maximum 5iron then, so it plays like IRL for me with a driver  B)   

Once I made my local short par 3-4 nine hole muni in JN6, that I used to play with my son 10 years old at the time. I only made the bare bones of the course and rough elevations and he spent an entire winter planting and finetuning. Only thing that could drag him away from WoW...

• DoGgs likes this

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#8 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

Wow, this course is a LOT of fun. It's super short but it has all the quirk you can handle.... and it has to have some of the tiniest greens I've ever seen. I imagine growing up playing this you'd have to become a pretty damn good short iron player after awhile. And obviously well executed, as Dogg's courses typically are. I really love the tee texture especially.

A couple of things I noticed:

The golfer and the shadows are VERY dark. On two or three of the tee shots, it was so dark that Hacker Harry was actually invisible. There were also a couple of tee shots that were obscured by plants (I play with panoramic camera as my default). I also had a similar issue when I hit my tee shot over the 4th green and was chipping out in the dark.

The other thing I noticed is I had a caddie loss and power loss showing up when I was teeing off on a few holes. Is that a built in thing to try to reduce the length of drives?

#9 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

Yes Matt the course taught me plenty about the short game, playing elevation too.   Yep i left directional light on instead of changing it to color, hence the darkness with dyn skies off, will amend for final build.  if you can pinpoint the holes that had branches obscuring i will amend, i play diff view so not noticed. The tee texture is actually Mika's, he put it in shared assets either here or at OGT,,  That power loss from tee is a mystery, its not intentional, will check it out shortly...thanks matt

edit:  Not see any power loss from back tees will check the other two, but i take it you played back...very strange indeed.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#10 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:21 PM

I may also drop 3 of the par 5's to par 4 and release a tournament version along side this one, making it par 68

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#11 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:27 AM

I'll get a screenshot next time it happens. I was playing in practice mode, for what that's worth.

#12 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 29 March 2018 - 11:04 AM

and another stellar course by doggs. i like this course plays short but very much fun.

played the even holes yesterday will do the odd's today, dont really look for much on your course's

so nothing to really report. i do consider this this to be a feel good course as scoring here is not that hard.

out of the 9 holes i played yesterday i shot -8 no eagles but was able to drive 3 of the par 4s i played with breezy wind

good job.

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#13 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

V 1.1 posting shortly, addresses a few things... I went to the course this morning and they certainly changed a few things, small pond added to 3 and 8

mound on 3 is now a hollow

Hole 4 tee is now longer and beside 3rd green

ditch crossing 10 fw is now a ridge

18th tee is now 20 yds back making it play longer

tees for 15 and 17 have been swapped around

have also fixed lighting with dyn skies off

flattened 5 and 14 tee box

I initially added a forward tee, but considering the course has no forward tee ( prob because it is short ) i have removed them, so we only have a back and memebers tee now.

Indexes completed.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#14 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

V 1.1   https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

and posted to usual places

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#15 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

Played v1.1 and had a blast, reminded me so much about all the muni courses I have played travelling in Sweden and Denmark.

Such a typical start too, having to play uphill on your first hole lol. Seen strange opening holes everywhere, not enough land and perhaps not much to chose if they want the players to get up to higher ground.   

EDIT: I was thinking of hole 10, started playing the back nine.

And all the holes I have played along hills with sidehill lies making it impossible to hold the fairway...

On my 2:nd round I used the Hybrid2 as driver and maximum Iron5 on the fairway to mirror an average player, and the course was ten times more fun and could bite back, played even par.

Did not see anything wrong, but is the 8:th greensite really right? Or is it the game engine that makes every approach spin back 70-100 yards if you dont hit over the green?  I could not even get a 75% 9 iron to stay if landing on the front of the green, and ground was not soft.

Loved it, more fun than most PGA courses.

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#16 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:34 PM

Did not see anything wrong, but is the 8:th greensite really right? Or is it the game engine that makes every approach spin back 70-100 yards if you dont hit over the green?  I could not even get a 75% 9 iron to stay if landing on the front of the green, and ground was not soft.
Loved it, more fun than most PGA courses.

Played the first hole and was left with a 120 yard wedge shot to the green. It landed on the green, spun back... and back... and back... and back, and finished up about5 yards further back than where I originally hit the shot from. Lol!

Agree with all the comments about the course though. Superb effort Mr Dogg's.

#17 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:18 PM

thanks guys,  i did say in my initial post that a whole new strategy is required when you are leaving short wedge shots that are coming in flat, you know its gonna spin lol  u just have to club up and hit partial, either that or leave a longer in shot, guess its a change from the regular courses.  :)

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#18 pingzing

pingzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 954 posts
  • LocationQld Australia

Posted 30 March 2018 - 11:37 AM

Obair iongantach an seo. Tha cù a tha gann ach dùbhlanach a 'tairgse cunnart / duais cuideachd a tha ga dhèanamh na b' e obair nas inntinniche, math agus gu bheil e math

#19 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 30 March 2018 - 12:26 PM

Diolch ping m8, yes plenty of risk reward involved  :) nice to see a post in elvish/welsh

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#20 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

I really enjoyed this course. A nice change and totally different mindset from playing tour courses.

I wish the game allowed us to set our own club distances. Would be even better to play as myself on these types of courses.

Thanks Doggs
  • DoGgs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users