32 replies to this topic

#1 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:32 PM

I've been playing some older/other games of late and I have to say, I was really wrong on my impressions of Rory from when it first came out.

I clearly didn't give it a fair shake and/or they fixed some things too perhaps.

I've had an absolute blast all weekend playing some tournaments on there and...as we've said before here...

Good god is this game bloody gorgeous.

Frostbite is frickin' awesome.

I must have taken about 20 videos and 100 screenshots (as the PS4 makes it so easy!) this weekend of so many beautiful scenes.

It's a real shame EA appears to be done with golf and in particular this next gen base they built.

Even still - I may get a 2nd PS4 and use this with my uncle for our nightly head to head, as he would love this gameplay on Tour mode.  It's challenging enough and really a rip roaring fun time.  It's great to have the scoring focused around the correct approach, course management and ultimately the short game.

Very very different from how PG approaches the gameplay (and there's some real good in that actually), and just sort of "fun" to play.

Anyhow - if you hate it and think EA is awful and have nothing but negative things to say, please steer clear and just close this window.

But...if you also have enjoyed Rory or have popped it in to play again and have something fun to share, please do.

I've noticed there's sort of an underground of people (from reddit and a couple other forums) that play Rory every day actually.

There seems to be a consistent undercurrent of "we did actually like the game and were just waiting for them to add more, as they said they would - and then they didn't?" --- but those users do seem to be quietly just enjoying it for what it is and what it does offer.

1ofpwJf.jpg

#2 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

I should add, that I totally love this Tour mode gameplay.

It feels so correct, focused and refreshing to use just the view ahead from the golfer (various low to high options) and the overhead map to aim and plan your shots.

The overhead map with distances from the golfer to many key points at all times is simply brilliant and so well executed.

#3 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:57 PM

Hey Buck... I agree with everything you have written.   I didn't listen to the so called "critics" and just tried it on my own.   I have it for the Xbox1 and I agree, it is a lot of fun.   Sure there are some things in it that I don't like, but the courses are amazing and love the ambience of the crowds, scenery, etc.   Game play is definitely a little different, but not so much so where you have to learn stuff all over again... 

I have not played it in a little bit, but plan on getting back into it again at some point soon.  

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:02 PM

Right on Rob!  

Awesome to hear..

It is really hard to beat the visuals and ambiance of Rory.

This all has me sort of hoping to find some people around here that play it on PS4 and link up for some fun!

(such a bummer that PS & XB can't cross-play with each other in this day and age)

• Greensboronclion likes this

#5 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

I still play it and pull it up on my Xbox One and yes the visuals and atmosphere of the game I like a lot.  I got a feeling I will be playing it and TGC2 more as the only tournament action I have is now at PGLS since the kicked us Controller players out of OGT for the events other than Handicap.  I have a season started in Rory and might have to kick start it again this evening.

#6 Jwheels9876

Jwheels9876

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:31 PM

I picked it up a few weeks ago when I saw it was like $6 on the PS4 network. Haven't had the chance to really dig into it but man it's gorgeous. The courses look amazing

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:31 PM

@Greens & Rob:

Do you guys play stock Tour mode?

Custom of some kind?  (what settings if so?)

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

... but man it's gorgeous. The courses look amazing

Oh man - no question...

On Rory, I find myself literally enjoying every shot setup simply on the view in front of me.

#9 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:35 PM

@Greens & Rob:

Do you guys play stock Tour mode?

Custom of some kind?  (what settings if so?)

Not yet as that is one tough way to play but now that I have more time available I do believe I will give it a whorl.

#10 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:37 PM

I use the caddy but I don't use that that shot location thing they got as it makes it much to easy.  I have also played their version of 3C and at the harder levels its really pretty tough.

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

I use the caddy but I don't use that that shot location thing they got as it makes it much to easy.  I have also played their version of 3C and at the harder levels its really pretty tough.

The shot location thing?

What do you mean?

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:39 PM

I have heard people say they don't care for the "flick" style of the swing and the force required, but I have to say I feel the opposite after playing Rory and then PG back to back last night.

The snap/flick required in the Rory swing feels very authentic and has an acceleration and tension to it that I really enjoy.

I honestly found the RTS-C swing to feel oddly really slow and perhaps almost too deliberate feeling in contrast when I switched back and forth last night.

#13 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:55 PM

The shot location thing?

What do you mean?

They have this arc at the easier levels that lets you know where your ball will land is the best way to explain it as I cant remember its called and when I fire it up tonight I will let you know.  It moves the landing area as you go up or down in club selection.

#14 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 06:05 PM

They have this arc at the easier levels that lets you know where your ball will land is the best way to explain it as I cant remember its called and when I fire it up tonight I will let you know.  It moves the landing area as you go up or down in club selection.

Oh yeah...That, along with "spin in the air" are features that must be instantly turned off for any serious actual golfer.

I don't blame EA as they are trying to cast a wide net, but I don't see how anyone who actually loves golf can use and enjoy those types of "features" (cheats really)

The Putt Preview line falls in that category for me too actually..

I see videos of that and I'm thinking "it's telling you what will happen...what is the point of playing if you aren't going to read the green yourself?"

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 09:43 PM

I do have to comment about one gameplay flaw that is unfortunate.

The D-Pad aiming arrow thing appears to essentially be a "dial a distance" tool, even on the highest difficulty levels.

You can literally zero in the precise power/distance you want between clubs on all shots and I find that to be a really troubling feature inclusion, but mainly because you can't turn it off.

Of course you can just not use it, but honestly on Tour mode (and certainly as an option on Custom), that type of assist shouldn't be there and any between club variation should be subtly executed by the user with her/his swing IMO.

Now I need to check on my PS3 if this was the same in TW2014.

I honestly never even tried moving the D-Pad arrow forwards/back on anything but putts, as it doesn't make sense to me that it would be doing anything beyond scoping the terrain and aiming your direction.  Perhaps it's the same dial-a-distance tool in that game also though..

What is the thought on such a feature as it relates to real golf?

Sort of pre-setting your golfers mentally desired distance?

I guess I don't mind that conceptually, but I do believe you should have to execute, through the swing, a variation in "oomph" as well, at least on the highest challenge levels.

#16 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 11:50 PM

Oh the memories of 3d grass. You know, the PC version has had 3d grass since at least 06 when I started, total bummer we can't get it.

Reflective water, flags that move With the wind, ducks in a damn pond, etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. you know, just like real life!

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#17 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:12 AM

Fired the game up this evening and played an 18 hole round against Jason Dufner and took him down with a 67 to his 69 at Sawgrass. Really love the atmosphere of the game and how the crowd reacts. Also that Frostbite engine has great graphics. I got more time to play this now as down to only PGLS events and no OGT due to the controller issue and will play more and heck might even fire up some TGC2 on the Xbox One.

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:14 AM

Fired the game up this evening and played an 18 hole round against Jason Dufner and took him down with a 67 to his 69 at Sawgrass. Really love the atmosphere of the game and how the crowd reacts. Also that Frostbite engine has great graphics. I got more time to play this now as down to only PGLS events and no OGT due to the controller issue and will play more and heck might even fire up some TGC2 on the Xbox One.

Greens - Can you help me out understanding the aiming arrow thing (that is used with the D-Pad)...

Besides changing clubs, do you then use the D-Pad to move the arrow around and essentially "dial-a-distance" what you're looking for?

That's the one part I don't care for here.  That seems unrealistic to me to have (on the hardest level at least).

Do you know what I mean?

Or what do you think of that gameplay interaction tool/method as opposed to a game where you use the swing itself to determine some partial power between clubs?

#19 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

Buck I don't understand the dial a distance as without the arc its not there and I have the arc turned off.  Yes directional pad is used for just that but not for dial a distance unless you have the arc on.  In JNPG if you change club and hit F3 it goes out to the landing area and if you go down a club so does the landing area so I really see it as a big deal.  The fact is you still have to figure for wind and elevation so a shot of lets say 120 yds against a 5 MPH wind and uphill let say 10 feet is not really going to go 120 yards no matter what the view says.  I myself try and go by feel and don't count on what the distance says its going as it never does.

#20 mebby

mebby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 03 April 2018 - 01:30 PM

Damn Buck!  You're gonna make me fight my son for PS4 time (hell - maybe I'll buy another one) and start playing this game again.  I only played it very briefly but never really got the hang of the swing.  Maybe if I put in more stick time with it I'll get there.

Steam Name: Turnerm05

Swing Type: RTSC | Tour Pro | XB1 Wireless

Intel i7 4790K 4.0GHz

GTX 1080 Founders Edition

16GB DDR3

1 TB Samsung 850 EVO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users