Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 03 April 2018 - 02:06 PM

Oh man - no question...

On Rory, I find myself literally enjoying every shot setup simply on the view in front of me.

The bunkers on Royal Troon are rubbish. Never been pot bunkers, lol. Even Everybody's Golf has pot bunkers, lol. 

I had been playing it on and off on PS4 but just deleted it this weekend to make room for some other stuff. 

#22 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:02 PM

Damn Buck!  You're gonna make me fight my son for PS4 time (hell - maybe I'll buy another one) and start playing this game again.  I only played it very briefly but never really got the hang of the swing.  Maybe if I put in more stick time with it I'll get there.

That was my problem when it was new and why I think I didn't give it a fair chance.

The swing and the way you do things is just quite a bit different than something like PG here and I think when Rory was new, this game was sort of just getting going and the excitement was real, etc

The "view" in Rory is just spectacular.  I just enjoy being "out there" and seeing the visuals around the courses.

I do have to say that whether it was a patch or it's simply the PS4 Pro Boost mode, the game is totally rock solid smooth 60fps, which wasn't my recollection of it when I had a normal PS4 initially back in 2015-ish.

#23 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

Buck I don't understand the dial a distance as without the arc its not there and I have the arc turned off.  Yes directional pad is used for just that but not for dial a distance unless you have the arc on.  In JNPG if you change club and hit F3 it goes out to the landing area and if you go down a club so does the landing area so I really see it as a big deal.  The fact is you still have to figure for wind and elevation so a shot of lets say 120 yds against a 5 MPH wind and uphill let say 10 feet is not really going to go 120 yards no matter what the view says.  I myself try and go by feel and don't count on what the distance says its going as it never does.

With the Arc turned I still have the aiming arrow and you can move it all around with the D-Pad.

I was testing last night and if I had a club that would go around 100y, but the target I wanted was only 30y away, you definitely have to move the target to around where you want and then swing a mostly full/perfect shot.  I tested just leaving the aiming arrow at the normal 100y area and partial powering and sure enough I hit it *way* too far.

It's not the arc though.  I know what you mean about the Arc as I've seen that in some videos where it's literally showing you path through the air and exact landing spot.

The aiming arrow seems somewhat similar, but perhaps is more of a "my golfer wants this much power with a perfect swing" type of mental model.
I've dug all over online and still can't find any official description or discussion about how it is intended to work and how one should use it.

Hmm - who knows - Maybe they wanted you to just have to figure it out?

#24 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:08 PM

The bunkers on Royal Troon are rubbish. Never been pot bunkers, lol. Even Everybody's Golf has pot bunkers, lol. 

I had been playing it on and off on PS4 but just deleted it this weekend to make room for some other stuff. 

I hadn't noticed that yet.  

I can't honestly say it's a top concern of mine though, as so much else is so so great.

Besides that, if there's any TGC 2019 in my future, I better not start caring about bunker quality at this point.  

lol

:D

#25 MERACE

MERACE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:16 PM

I hadn't noticed that yet.  
I can't honestly say it's a top concern of mine though, as so much else is so so great.

Besides that, if there's any TGC 2019 in my future, I better not start caring about bunker quality at this point.  
lol
:D

I overlook the ugly bunker lips when playing TGC like I overlook the “Minecraft” rough when playing JNPG. ;)

-MERACE
  • RobV likes this

#26 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 03:20 PM

I overlook the ugly bunker lips when playing TGC like I overlook the “Minecraft” rough when playing JNPG. ;)

-MERACE

lol - touche´sir!

#27 worrybirdie

worrybirdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationPismo Beach, California

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:27 PM

You guys got me interested, so I checked it out. Looks like fun, but no pc version, so for me its a non-starter.

#28 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:40 PM

I will say that I'm not personally thrilled with the tee to green challenge level without enough wind to play a big role.

Even on the hardest swing settings, it still seems just a bit too simplistic to hit it dead straight, at least to me.

Maybe I'm just too used to PG and how the opposite of that is true on Tour Pro level?

I'm not really sure which is correct, but something between PG TP and how Rory is seems most likely to be where it should be.

It did make me think that perhaps, again, they are modeling the experience from the standpoint of being a very proficient Pro golfer, but even in that case, I feel like when I watch golf on TV, even the best golfers seem to be finding ways to miss fairways more often than in the Rory game.

Perhaps it's just EA being EA and, even on the hardest levels, still having a slight lean towards the arcade/fun/mainstream side of things.  

I just wish there was a touch more variation in the shot outcomes (subtle right/left movement) even within the context of mostly straight & good drives mostly where you were looking to hit it.

#29 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 06:32 PM

I found two interesting and old quotes from Justin Patel of EA back in 2015 regarding this specific issue of shot outcome variation..

I'm not sure if they ever did roll this out or not.  The quotes were from not long after initial release, so I guess I would assume they did?

If so, I am not sure if they did "enough" on this for my liking, but who knows, maybe it never even released.

First quote..

"We appreciate the fan feedback we’ve been getting about the TOUR Gameplay Style and have been paying close attention. Most seem to be enjoying it, and we’ve heard your ideas for how to make it even better. One thing you’ve asked for is more variation for miss-hits left and right, and we’re testing some potential options right now and hope to have something we can include in the game soon."

And then an update in a subsequent post...

A little update on where we are with this. 

The tweak to this swing mechanic has passed testing. Right now it is tuned on the safe side. I don't want to make a big swing at this and make the mode too hard. It scales based on swing difficulty so those using a custom setup on Hard will see the biggest impact with this change. Normal gets a fair amount of impact and Easy is almost like this change doesn't even exist. If this goes over well and scores don't get much higher for the average user then we will look to turn it up a bit in the following update to the game. I don't want to ruin the fun and challenge that many users are getting out of the current way Tour plays. And yes, based on telemetry we can tell that most users are very challenged by this style already. The average score to par for 18 holes in Tour right now is +13. We took out the top 15% and bottom 15% of scores and it was still +12. So yes, most users are finding the mode challenging and fun. 

For clarity on how this works... We are now going to add left and right miss-hit based on your backswing length and follow through speed being off from perfect on all shots. So if you swing perfectly straight with a full swing-perfect readout you will have absolutely no miss-hit. But as you get off on either the backswing or forward swing you will start to spray the ball left or right a bit. The left or right is decided randomly. I didn't want to make fast always go left or overswing always go left. Users could just compensate with their aim if that was the case. But it isn't pure random, we are taking input and adding miss-hit, so you are still in control of the shot.

#30 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:10 PM

After some more play today, I think I have to amend some of my commentary about the left/right deviation on the hardest swing level.

It's pretty good.  It does seem to penalize you more on distance than direction if you're off on the swing though, but in any case, it's introducing some welcome variability, especially on a harder course.

Also in Rory, the courses play remarkably different than one another given the same conditions settings.

I believe I read somewhere about how that is intentional and an effort to be more real world accurate and make each course truly a breathing entity on its own and I think it really does work.

You can get a very distinctly different feel to the experience depending upon which course you're playing.  Very cool. 

#31 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:24 AM

For clarity on how this works... We are now going to add left and right miss-hit based on your backswing length and follow through speed being off from perfect on all shots. So if you swing perfectly straight with a full swing-perfect readout you will have absolutely no miss-hit. But as you get off on either the backswing or forward swing you will start to spray the ball left or right a bit. The left or right is decided randomly. I didn't want to make fast always go left or overswing always go left. Users could just compensate with their aim if that was the case. But it isn't pure random, we are taking input and adding miss-hit, so you are still in control of the shot.

So even though you are still in control of the shot the miss-hit direction will be either left or right decided randomly. That renders the second sentence incorrect. The left or right anomally is either random or not. It can't be both. Not that that matters.

I like the idea of randomness although it does not follow the laws of cause and effect. I remember career computer golfers hated the idea of randomness when I brought it up years ago because they wanted to know that each effect had a cause. Fair enough. It's like the opposition to Realistic greens here. The problem a developer has is to ensure scores don't drop to unrealistic levels without making the game too difficult (given perfect conditions).

#32 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Maybe they should randomise something deeper.

#33 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 06:19 PM

Well, I ran my course with the game and decided it's too much to switch my uncle to at this point.

Just too different.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users