27 replies to this topic

#1 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

IMHO, a great point of view. And, I agree with Gary.

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

β›³                          πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                             πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ                              β›³

51049423131_98884de356_w.jpg

#2 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:30 PM

who's a salty boy then...go Gary!

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Good points from Gary…
The sport itself needs to become less expensive and less exclusionary also.

The two places I frequent have a very active young and middle-aged demographic across many other outdoor sports and the golf courses are unique in that it is almost always 50-year-old and up people out there.

It's too expensive, it takes too long, and it just isn't that interesting to so many younger people as it is.
Note that doesn't include me but I'm also not young or old - more in the middle so I don't know what to make of that data point

#4 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

Just look at what the pros did to a 7800 yard course last year.

#5 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

Gary is spot on this topic and I myself have said that there should be a restricted flight ball for the Pro Tours for a few years now as we are obsoleting the great courses of the world.  This theory that Gary has is supported by Jack, Tiger, Phil and Tom Watson to name a few who have said for awhile now we need to rain in the ball for the Tour Pros.  I am 61 and can still clock the ball a good 260 and I have a 3/4 swing due to shoulder issues and its all about the ball anymore.  Yes club technology has helped a good bit but the ball itself is just ridiculous how far it goes and the height you get with it.  Back in 1978 as a young player I used Macgregor Tourney Irons and a Deep faced Macgregor Persimmon Jumbo driver and the two balls I used the most were the Titleist Ballata and the Maxfli Blue Max ball and if you hit them wrong they would smile at you.  Also for those old enough to remember they would leave the tee low and then rise and fall and not much roll at all with them.  Todays ball flies like a jet and lands and rolls forever and there is no way in the would to cut them unless you have a power saw.   Golf courses are running out of real estate and soon most of the Historic courses will be totally obsolete if they don't bring the ball back by restricting it.

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

So what's the theory on who's pushing/allowing this to continue?

Too much vested interest/power in key places from the equipment manufacturing companies? 

#7 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

I think the technology and balls are great for amateurs, but what the pros are doing now is destroying these great courses. I watched a round from the 1998 U.S open at Olympic and they were commenting on drives that were going about 290 about how far they were. Lol, that's a 3 wood for most pros now.
  • Greensboronclion likes this

#8 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

I think the technology and balls are great for amateurs, but what the pros are doing now is destroying these great courses. I watched a round from the 1998 U.S open at Olympic and they were commenting on drives that were going about 290 about how far they were. Lol, that's a 3 wood for most pros now.

That's my point and question though..

Who's driving the bus?

If the equipment guys have their hands all over the powers that be and seeing pros using exact equipment that amateurs can then go buy and use really drives sales..

Good luck stopping this train.

Nothing steams through everything like money and sales.

• erwildcat likes this

#9 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:37 PM

The whole PGA tour today is based on Pitch and Putt and not shot making and the players of today love this new equipment even tho its killing the game and why is because of money.  Back in the day a Pro didn't enter his prime till his early 30's and the longer the played the more skilled and better knowledge he had but today the prime starts at 20 its seems and by the time they are 30 they are ready retire with all the money being won.  I think in the late 70's Tom Watson won like 7 events one year and won around 350 grand and that was a big year and today Jerry Kelly had his own Jet when he was 125th on the money list.  The club and ball makers love it as they can sell their stuff to the average Joe and make him feel good about his game and they don't want the long ball game to quit but if it doesn't we are in real trouble with Pro golf.  Today a 7000 yard course is now obsolete and some open venues have played at 7700 yards so what next 8000?  They must reel the ball in on tour for the good of the game.

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

Greens I agree with everything you said there.

I just don't think there's much chance of anyone "reeling things in" when everybody involved is making money hand over fist on equipment and sponsorships and endorsements.

#11 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:25 PM

Buck the game of golf in general is not in good shape and one of the biggest problems is that young players of today in the general public just don't play golf like their fathers and grandfathers did.  At one time on the Grand Strand of Myrtle Beach we had around 125 course and now are under 90 and more closings to come.  The days of going to the course and without a tee time not being able to get on the course are over and you can go anywhere and get on at anytime it seems to day.  Years ago before moving south I was a member of a club in Pennsylvania and memberships everywhere are now down dramatically from yesteryear and that's a big problem for Country Clubs.  A golf course is only viable if its being played on and getting the youth of the world especially here in the states to play again will be quite the task.  I contend that the Equipment both clubs and balls with these prices for them have turned a lot of players away in a down economy.  Add the fact that it cost an arm an a leg to play and you have a double edged sword.

#12 theclubpro

theclubpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 05 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

Golf is just to exspenvive.i know friends of mine don’t play because of it..courses really need to reduce the rates on the younger players to get them to the course..the course I play on is $28 on the weekend and that’s the cheapest in at least a 30-40 miles from me..golfnow,birdiebug helps out for the more costly courses..

#13 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

They must reel the ball in on tour for the good of the game.

I agree.

xqc8g0-2.png

πŸŒοΈβ€β™‚οΈ                                                       πŸŒοΈβ€β™€οΈ
Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#14 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:30 AM

Golf is just to exspenvive.i know friends of mine don’t play because of it..courses really need to reduce the rates on the younger players to get them to the course..the course I play on is $28 on the weekend and that’s the cheapest in at least a 30-40 miles from me..golfnow,birdiebug helps out for the more costly courses..

$28? You can't play anywhere in the Denver metro area for that price, at least not on the weekend.

#15 theclubpro

theclubpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

$28? You can't play anywhere in the Denver metro area for that price, at least not on the weekend.

Not a bad price.does get crowded tho..plus a membership is only $40 a month,walk and play as much as u like..

https://www.golfindiantrail.com

#16 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:33 PM

Not a bad price.does get crowded tho..plus a membership is only $40 a month,walk and play as much as u like..

https://www.golfindiantrail.com

Not many of those courses left as most have gone for a more expensive look.  To give you an example if you were to go to a Middle of the Mill course like Myrtlewood Palmetto course here in Myrtle Beach and had the local Golf Passport you would pay on average 40 to 45 dollars per round with cart included and you have to take a cart and believe me in the summer down here you will need it.  Now if a guy walks off the street and wants to play it will cost him around 80 bucks and there is the problem as that is a middle road not top tier course and a top tier will cost the local Passport guy around 100 bucks and 175 off the street.  A bunch of decent courses that have the local rate of 30 to 35 but again around 70 off the street.  Golf cost a lot of money to play and there is the problem as for the general public inflation is rising but wages have been stagnant for almost five years or more.  I love the game but I am regulated to once a week or when I take customers out and the company pays for it and that is what is killing the golf business all around America.

#17 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:59 PM

Courses in Denver metro are almost always at full capacity when I play. Denver has a very strong economy though. I think courses need to have realistic pricing structures. I always thought locals should get big discounts. A lot of courses do, but it's usually only a 5-10 dollar discount.

#18 Crusher

Crusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:40 AM

Courses in Denver metro are almost always at full capacity when I play. Denver has a very strong economy though. I think courses need to have realistic pricing structures. I always thought locals should get big discounts. A lot of courses do, but it's usually only a 5-10 dollar discount.

I remember when I played golf about 25 years ago, municipal course prices were $25.00 for 18 holes and that was on the weekends. I thought that was a fair fee.

xqc8g0-2.png

Userbenchmarks:
Custom Build 2019

#19 Drgnslyr221

Drgnslyr221

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • LocationLakewood, CO

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:41 PM

I remember when I played golf about 25 years ago, municipal course prices were $25.00 for 18 holes and that was on the weekends. I thought that was a fair fee.

I try to catch the hot deals in Golf Now. I'm playing a semi-private course today for $51. I played last weekend for $36.

#20 theclubpro

theclubpro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

I try to catch the hot deals in Golf Now. I'm playing a semi-private course today for $51. I played last weekend for $36.

https://www.birdiebug.com

Ever tried this site for tee times?it doesn’t have the fees that Golfnow has..ive used both..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users