#1 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Anyone have a good method of making these types of paths, look good? It looks fine accept for the entry points to the rough, you can't get a squared off look to where you enter from off the course, at least I can't.

I can get the ones that surround the tees but not the one next to it.

I remember seeing them on someones course but the who, is what I can't remember.

Or I'll just go without them, not like anyone would notice but I do like to try to be exact where I can.

Thanks.

ozT89WF.jpg

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#2 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:02 PM

This just doesn't cut the mustard IMO and maybe there is no way to get that entry one, to look right, oh well.

Probably not worth the heartache.

xyktIuv.jpg

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#3 Keith

Keith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

I did this on the course I am working on, but I only have the paths from tee to fway, not the entry paths.  It's a LOT of work, and buyer beware..I am getting lowish frame rates on a few holes and have yet to lay down EZ roads and plant.  Linking everything up creates very large meshes.  Hoping I am going to be ok in the end.

#4 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:43 PM

Thanks, I'm thinking that "entry path" is quite a lot of extra work for something that doesn't look good, IS a waste of time. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#5 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:27 AM

Think I'll go with the tee to fairway path, no entry path. Or not. lol

Somebody around here did them and they even had them lower than the fairway. Oh well.

m5lkiZP.png

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#6 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:22 AM

I'd do them just like that - extend the first rough cut to connect with a forward tee like in the bottom picture. It's a small thing but I think it adds some realism if done right.

• axe360 likes this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#7 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:10 AM

Think I'll go with the tee to fairway path, no entry path. Or not. lol

Somebody around here did them and they even had them lower than the fairway. Oh well.

m5lkiZP.png

I suggest you use an overhead image to give the basic colour to your fairway meshes and rough meshes like Slewin/Classic Rendition does. That way you don't have to draw any unnecessary splines for that kind of paths. It's good idea for your course also because there aren't too many shadows from trees to spoil the grass colour/lightning.

If you don't know how to do it, here is how:

1. Put the 180 decree rotated overhead image (resolution 4096 x 4096) to your spline's first box. If your terrain is 2048m x 2048m, then use that same size 2048 in that first box. Remember to correct the resolution of the rotated overhead image to 4096, because Unity always imports them at a lower resolution as a default.

2. To the second box, add the texture you want to use to give grass the detail look. Open that texture in some decent picture editor and lower the colour amount of the texture near to zero and add brightness quite much. You can easily change the tone of the final Unity texture by changing the tone of this grass texture. So don't make it entirely black and white. Changes to meshes also take place immediately this way ;).

3. Box 3 and 4. Use normals as usual (not so important but good with roughs). Download for example Crazy Bump trial if you don't know how to get good normal maps. Roughs looks much better is you add normal map that is made of the original texture. Try different values to normals and see what pleases you. And don't forget to change the normal map image to normal map and also uncheck "create from grayscale" check box! Everything looks horrible if you don't change it to normal map!!!.

Try and see how this works! I have done some great testing lately :). If you think that paths aren't sharp enough from OH-image, it's alright. Anyways, this method can be used with almost every spline texture to give basic colour and tone variations from the original course.

And honestly speaking, I think all the real course renditions should use this method to give the course it's original looks (including my own courses). I didn't know before how to make your own overhead images (with Google maps data) to match your lidar data, but now that I know, I will use this method always where it's possible.

I couldn't create 16 bit .raw files (height map for Unity) neither, but now that I can, I can basicly create any course from this world where lidar data is available. Only negative side is that you will never have enough time to make those courses :D .

#8 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:16 PM

Wow, thanks for all that gr8 info Dropzone73! I sure hope you skype because I will most likely need to talk to you about some of this?

I'm just not quite sure how this helps in making the "entry paths"? I have some of the best lidar I've ever had but that's not my issue. I have my res. turned up to 8192 also. I can see the paths just fine.

I may be misunderstanding you? This is why I'm hoping one day we can get together and talk on skype?

Thanks again Dropzone73.

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#9 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:10 PM

Ok Dropzone73, I understand now what you're saying and will check out some of slewins courses and maybe take a stab at that.

Thanks to your pm. ;)

L

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#10 Dropzone73

Dropzone73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:17 AM

You are wellcome!

Resolution 8192 works fine in Unity, but when you create course, it will be shrinked to 4096 :angry:. This has something to do with the direct X version of the Unity 5 or JNPG. I would have recommended 8192 resolution if it worked.

Hope these limitations will go away when this game upgrades to Unity 2017/2018.

#11 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Justin got on skype with me and walked me thru what you guys do. I'm impressed with the amount of work you guys do to get the look you get. May be a bit much for me but my hat's off to you guys. :D

I always shrink the plot res. down to 2048 after I'm all done with the map. ;)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users