#1 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:14 AM

if a green is set at soft which is slow and the stimp is set at 12 to 13 which is fast.how does the game do the math? at what point does it play slow and at what point does it play the fast? i play a wedge onto the green which stoped on contact and backspun 30ft right? so is the ball landing on slow and backspining on fast?

i mean in real life you cannot have both right? so my question is,how does the game play both?

#2 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

Add to that the fact that you often get some high bounces on soft on fairways and greens.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#3 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

It’s how hard or soft the ground is when the ball hits....stimp is how fast the ball rolls along the ground which is also quicker down hill and slower uphill

#4 ✠ davef ✠

✠ davef ✠

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts
  • LocationCouncil Bluffs, Ia

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:19 PM

soft or hard is the bounce reaction when you hit the green, stemp is the only factor

in the speed the ball rolls

CUK Mantis Gamer PC (Liquid Cooled Intel Core i9,10 Core                            MSI GF75 Thin 17" Laptop

32GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD + 2TB HDD                                                          I5 8GB Ram GTX1650 

NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB OC, 600W PSU, AC WiFi, Windows 11                           144 Hz Windows 11

VIOTEK 35" CURVED  144HZ-200HZ OC MONITOR

Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive

Klipsch Sound System

BENCHMARKS-https://www.userbenc...serRun/38611652  

#5 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

It’s how hard or soft the ground is when the ball hits....stimp is how fast the ball rolls along the ground which is also quicker down hill and slower uphill

soft or hard is the bounce reaction when you hit the green, stemp is the only factor

in the speed the ball rolls

Either of these are a good answer.  If you want a more mathematical (physics based) description, I can provide one.

#6 SFR

SFR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

From a simulator side I believe I was told that while the ball was bouncing or landing it will reflect the soft med or hard settings but once it gets into the rolling mode the stimp speed will take over.

Similar to what we can experience in the simulator with fairway roll.  If you hit a low burner shot some times it will bounce a few times and stop rather quick but the odd time the LA is low enough that the ball gets into roll mode and now (fairways play as an 8 stimp no matter hardness) you will see a ball roll 300 yards till most times it hits a bunker to stop or goes out of bounds.

So once it starts the roll part of the shot it will use the ground settings.  So for example from soft fairways to hard fairways the roll will be the same but the bounces will be what is different.

• jmk59 and hiltonwelford like this

#7 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 10 August 2018 - 08:14 PM

From a simulator side I believe I was told that while the ball was bouncing or landing it will reflect the soft med or hard settings but once it gets into the rolling mode the stimp speed will take over.

great answer.thank you.

#8 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 10 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

From the math side you have three different physics models at work - a collision model every time the ball hits the ground, then a simple ballistics model as its momentarily in the air again. Rinse and repeat for three bounces, then its just in a rolling model.

Rolling Model - Stimp is just a measure of the ground friction scrubbing the ball's forward velocity until it stops.

Collision Model - conservation of energy and momentum, both linear and angular.  The Hard, Normal, and Soft relate the amount of energy lost in each bounce (coefficient of restitution, Impact COR and spin COR).

• hiltonwelford likes this

#9 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:24 PM

From the math side you have three different physics models at work - a collision model every time the ball hits the ground, then a simple ballistics model as its momentarily in the air again. Rinse and repeat for three bounces, then its just in a rolling model.

Rolling Model - Stimp is just a measure of the ground friction scrubbing the ball's forward velocity until it stops.

Collision Model - conservation of energy and momentum, both linear and angular.  The Hard, Normal, and Soft relate the amount of energy lost in each bounce (coefficient of restitution, Impact COR and spin COR).

wow to much information for this small brain lol.

thanks man

#10 jmk59

jmk59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • LocationSouthern MD

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:48 PM

TMI indeed!  All that and no equations, either.

I'm hoping that the new Trackman ownership will open access to new data for Andew wrt the ground-ball interactions (fine tune the excess spin back).

btw ...you produce some of my favorite courses - thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users