• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 dakespaul7

dakespaul7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:26 PM

When I load the game up on the sim without internet connection I lose all the courses I have built and downloaded. I have followed the instructions of a post to load the game up in offline mode on steam but still get the same thing happening.

Can anyone help?

#2 Mulligan

Mulligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationVirtual Private Network

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

That's as it's designed. Must be online to play any courses besides the defaults.

#3 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:28 PM

When one is offline only the original courses included with the game are available for play.  To access all others you will need to be online so Steam can verify which PP courses you have purchased and which user made courses you downloaded and installed on your system.

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#4 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:38 PM

I understand why they do this for purchased courses, but it is a little strange that totally free user made courses that you have to source and download yourself require an online connection to steam to use

#5 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:05 AM

I understand why they do this for purchased courses, but it is a little strange that totally free user made courses that you have to source and download yourself require an online connection to steam to use

you do why? the game and the courses belong to you not steam.the free course dont belong to steam either. if i loss my internet connection i cannot play the game or the courses. thats bullshit .they are moore mine than they are steams.there should be a on off button on our pcs.how come steam has so much control over what does not belong to them.if i loose internet i cant turn it on or off. stuffed. 

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

you do why? the game and the courses belong to you not steam.the free course dont belong to steam either. if i loss my internet connection i cannot play the game or the courses. thats bullshit .they are moore mine than they are steams.there should be a on off button on our pcs.how come steam has so much control over what does not belong to them.if i loose internet i cant turn it on or off. stuffed. 

Welcome to the world of digital media. I have bought loads of games and DLC over the years but do I own them? Not really - I just have a license to use them with certain restrictions.

It's the same with films on a DVD for example. I can go out and buy the latest blockbuster film but just because I have bought it doesn't mean I can do what I want with it. If I want to display that film I purchased in a bar for instance I can't legally do that. Essentially almost everything digital you purchase is actually licensed and all you 'own' is the physical dvd and box.

You can argue the rights and wrongs of this all day but I guess that's for the off topic forum.

#7 hiltonwelford

hiltonwelford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Locationnew zealand

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:41 AM

why is it every time i voice an opinion your all over me like a rash. iam fully aware of what you have said. so what has that got to do with what i said? iam talking about STEAM. read it again,slowly. i dont come on to couse shit. but i do have an opinion from time to time.but from now forward ill keep them to myself.  cheers.

#8 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:52 AM

why is it every time i voice an opinion your all over me like a rash. iam fully aware of what you have said. so what has that got to do with what i said? iam talking about STEAM. read it again,slowly. i dont come on to couse shit. but i do have an opinion from time to time.but from now forward ill keep them to myself.  cheers.

I was simply explaining to you why Steam is the way it is - they are the purveyors of digital goods. You asked the question, I gave the answer.

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:38 PM

@Mike:  Is there any rhyme or reason to why we can't play user made free courses offline, as we can the normal stock courses?

#10 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:46 PM

Don’t worry, you can’t use your simulator even with the free course offline anyway, as you have to be connected to an internet connection for it to verify your sim pass. So actually as far as sim play goes, the is actually no offline mode what so ever

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#11 johnmeyer

johnmeyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

OGT Simulator Tour Admin

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

Don’t worry, you can’t use your simulator even with the free course offline anyway, as you have to be connected to an internet connection for it to verify your sim pass. So actually as far as sim play goes, the is actually no offline mode what so ever

I was actually thinking about Sim users and wondering if they had a USB security key/dongle or something they could purchase to be able to use the game fully offline.  I could certainly see situations where they either didn't have internet access or simply didn't want that device to be internet connected.

#13 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:10 PM

@Mike:  Is there any rhyme or reason to why we can't play user made free courses offline, as we can the normal stock courses?

I don't know all the technical 'ins and outs' but I'm sure at least part of it is an anti-piracy measure and making sure that people with a non legit PG could not have access to multiple courses.

#14 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:42 PM

I think long term, the concern is the user being at the mercy of the online connection. If JNPG1 is no longer supported, it seems to make sense that the "paid for" courses could not verified. However, no longer having community courses and a legacy community supporting a game doesn't completely make sense.

I've never been a part of the online golf community but hear people still mentioning Links. If only the original courses that came with the game were the only ones that were playable, would anyone still be playing Links?

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

If only the original courses that came with the game were the only ones that were playable, would anyone still be playing Links?

No way

#16 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:34 PM

I think long term, the concern is the user being at the mercy of the online connection. If JNPG1 is no longer supported, it seems to make sense that the "paid for" courses could not verified. However, no longer having community courses and a legacy community supporting a game doesn't completely make sense

I agree - it really would be nice for some solution to be available for us to assuage these concerns for the future..

Not to open the old wound of "PG2" thoughts, but if that really is never coming for PC (or even if we just don't know) - It's pretty concerning to know that PG1 could just stop working as it currently does at basically any time.

#17 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

Be interesting if all this offline restriction changes with PG2 as Andrew has previously hinted at not using Steam for PG2.

Oh fudge, there i go again thinking PG2 will actually get released, lol.

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:06 PM

PG who?
PG wha?

#19 dakespaul7

dakespaul7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was more concerned I was doing something wrong. I will just get a mobile data dongle to connect when I am at the golf club on their sim as there is no internet connection. Just one question..... does anyone know how much data the game uses once you are logged in and playing? On a Sim connected to GC2 etc

#20 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:27 PM

You only need internet at game startup just long enough for it to verify your Simulator pass and make the ogt interface connections. Once you see all courses, you can disconnect from internet. Constant connection is only required if playing an OGT tournament.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users