#1 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 08 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

Its such a shame that play with the Controller has been banned from tournament play other than the RTS league at PGLS as with an Xbox controller it is such a great way of play.  I have been playing it again with mine and at Pro level can keep it at Par but really tough as hitting a ball straight is pretty tough with it and putting also is tough to keep the ball on line unlike the cheap aftermarket controllers which hit everything down the middle.  Its nice to sit on the couch and play and very challenging and I wont be competing for wins but I do know that I am playing a very rewarding way with the Xbox controller.  My hope is that down the line if and when we see JNPG2 that we will see a program that only allows the Microsoft and Sony controllers and no aftermarket ones.  Here is to hoping and in the meantime I will enjoy this game with mine as its quite fun and again very tough.

#2 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:32 PM

Yes greens its a shame i know, i don't play much anymore and have dropped down to pro from TP when i do play because to play well at TP requires plenty of practice to keep it honed, and TP is a bit too tough for me playing once or twice a week as i now do.  Its such a well done and nuanced swing, they really nailed the dispersion better than any golf game to date, but like you say, it only shows and shines when you use the controller they made the swing with.  Controller is a much maligned method because of the numerous exploits that can be applied, but i think that most controller players here use the appropriate pad because they want that immersion and not the boring rigidity of target golf hole after hole using an exploit or a cheap controller.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,536 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:44 PM

I have to say I am still a PlayStation 4 controller fan.

Not sure why but I just prefer the way it fits my hand and the shortness of the sticks and the symmetrical layout.

One thing I do want to comment on about the perfect golf controller swing as I’ve been playing a lot of Rory lately… I do wish it had a bit more of a snap and acceleration component to the downswing… Something about that just feels very golf swing like and creates an extra challenge on getting that part just right through a quick motion.

#4 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 08 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

Though I don't use it for playing golf on PC, I too prefer the Dualshock DS4 controller on the PC for gaming. The wired XBOX 360 controller I have just doesn't feel the same for me.

#5 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:25 PM

Daz that Dual shock does have a really good feel with it and it plays pretty tough also.  I just shot a 76 with the Xbox controller and got on a bogey train and couldn't get off but that is what is great about a legit controller and both Microsoft and Sony are legit.  I still remember using a Speedlink and shooting a 58 at TP and thinking to myself are you kidding me as everything went straight as an arrow and that's when I figured it out with a little help from DoGgs on the non axis ones.  I would play more events than the RTS League if we could use the controller but I understand why they were banned but using a handicap system you dont have to ban them as the lower you shoot the lower your handicap and that is a great equalizer.  Your are correct tho that PS4 controller really does feel good in your hands.

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:44 PM

I'm prob due to get myself a new controller, this 360 pad of mine has some serious drift now,  i may try a DS4 but i take it they would not be wireless with a PC, is that correct?  I plugged in my daughters XBone controller( i still find the game easier with that pad ) and it feels cheap and lightweight, i don't like the way the stick feels either...feels a bit small to me.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

Yes DoGgs they have to be wired just like the Xbox One and you just need that USB extension cable to play in your recliner.

#8 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

You can use a DS4 wireless but you need to install the DS4Windows.exe and DS4Updater.exe and then connect the controller via Bluetooth. Works well via Bluetooth but I find it causes odd issues with the WiFi, as it runs on same frequency so prefer to have it wired.

I have a reasonable length Micro/USB cable which I connect the DS4 to the laptop with. In turn laptop is HDMI connected to the TV so as long as laptop is fairly close by, I can play unhindered on the TV with the DS4 connected by wire.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users