#1 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:45 AM

This is the first edition of my home course series, with Thornberry Creek being the other. However I really consider this one to be number one, as it was the first golf course I ever played and probably still remains the one I played more than any other.

Riverside Municipal is located in Janesville, Wisconsin and is one of the oldest munis in the state. The original nine holes were built in 1924 and the rest added in the 1940s, with 7 original holes remaining today. The hole sequence has changed several times since the course opened and can be played in many different routings.

By modern standards it is pretty short (only about 6500 yards from the tips) and the par-fives are especially short, but even after all these years, a few of the holes on this course are one of a kind and unlike any I have seen anywhere else. I have not played the course for 20 years now but laying this course out has been an amazing exercise in nostalgia; it's striking how quickly the memory of many of these holes remain vivid in my mind.

I'm making two versions of this; one will be as is. The other will be an imaginary version based on many changes that I've always wanted to make to the course in my mind, including the ability to play the holes in the original order. I haven't really decided which one I want to release yet; I may just put out both of them.

The "as is" version is now ready for beta testing and will be sent to OGT later tonight.

M92bmDJ.jpg

bKsb34R.jpg

bjYbDEJ.jpg

• Tresclub, Tigers Agent, balaceanca81 and 3 others like this

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#2 Arsam

Arsam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 December 2018 - 04:17 AM

This looks great Matt, I look forward to giving it a play test.  Regarding Thornberry Creek, what is the status of that one.  

RTS-Mouse Swing, Pro Level, BLI

HP Pavilion 790-0025T Minitower Gaming PC
Intel Hexa-Core i7-8700 cpu @ 3.2 GHz (Turbo up to 4.6 GHz), 12 MB Cache
64-bit Operating Sys​tem, x64 Based Processor
400 Watt Power Supply
16 GB DDR4-26666MHz 2-DIMM Memory
NVidia GeForce GTX1060 3GB Gaming Graphic Card

DELL D3218HN 31.5" Full HD LED Back-Lit HDMI Monitor, 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz  Maximum Resolution, 4,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

Windows 10 Home Edition, 64 bit - DirecrX v.12.0

#3 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 05:11 AM

Still in the pipeline. The problem with that one is that it has a million houses on it and a lot of them are very much on the golf course, so it's a bit of a slog. But the course is essentially finished otherwise. I got a bunch of stuff that's 80-90 percent complete and I'm trying to get some of these done so I can move on.

The beta for Riverside is now available; I've posted it in my OGT designer lounge.

#4 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 09:21 PM

Aware of bad pin on #6 and that #11 fairway is impossible to hold.

I widened and reduced the slope and it is still an issue, so I'm gonna set the texture to soft and see if that works.

#5 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 01:44 AM

On hole 10, the big tree on the left forces a draw/hook as the tee shot.  It's a bit tight but that could be the case IRL?

Also I hit an invisible branch on the same hole, a tree close to the green on the right side.  I can take a pic if you like.

#6 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:18 AM

The tee shot is that tight, especially now. They really should probably cut down some trees, especially there and on #14.

I've moved / shrunk a few of the trees on that hole to alleviate that issue; I took a closer look at photos and the overhead image and I believe I had some trees in the wrong places anyway.

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 12:52 AM

I have pushed a final version.

It is available through dropbox here.

https://www.dropbox....ide_gc.zip?dl=0

I have also sent it to the PGLS mega site upon approval of my pending registration.

Persistent collider problems have hopefully been eliminated; I've tried very hard to work on this. I've added some objects like ballwashers, railroad signs and also made the periscope that sits next to the 17th tee.

As a follow-up release, I plan to put out a fantasy "redesign" that I've always wanted to do of the course, adding a few back tees and playing the course in the original hole order when it opened, as well as perhaps opening up the river view on a couple of holes.

• Mike Jones and balaceanca81 like this

#8 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:29 AM

plays very smooth. Played TP 18 holes and not a problem.  thankyou Matt. 

#9 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:44 AM

Also for better performance - there's no water hazards so you can switch off reflective if you have the patch. In one or two places you can see the river below the bluff that the course sits on, but it's not ever close enough to be in play. It looks better as non-reflective anyway.

One of my ideas for the "fantasy" version is to build a new 15th hole closer to the edge, although in the original routing it was the 4th hole.

#10 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:46 AM

Very nice M
We just played it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Looking forward to more from this series!
  • balaceanca81 likes this

#11 BrianZ111

BrianZ111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to hear of this course’s creation this morning.  I’ve played this pretty much every year for the last 5 or 6 years around the 4th of July while visiting relatives in the Janesville area.  The course looks pretty much dead on to me, very nice job.  There were a few spots where I thought the trees could be moved in or out just a bit or seemed a little thicker than they should be but I could be wrong as I don’t trust my memory of something that minor on a course I’ve only been playing once a year.  I hope to play the Ray Fischer someday.  I could play it now but I’d just be hoping to make the cut which isn’t really worth the extra drive down there.   If I feel good enough to give it a try, playing this recreation will probably help me prepare for it though.  I have the LiDAR saved in Global Mapper for it as it was one I thought about doing for WGC2011 but like a lot of courses I want to do, I didn’t have time to do it.  Glad to see someone else make it for another game, thanks for your efforts. :)

#12 Skeggy47

Skeggy47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:22 AM

Riverside Golf Course
Elevation 820 ft
Choice of 5 pins per hole
Tees Championship, Forward Member, Ladies
Parkland Course

Good looking Parkland course, Fairways tree lined, gentle sloping greens, nice touches including buildings and railway signs.

Tested under practice , Testing bunkers (shallow) out of bounds clearly mark and offering re-hits. Flat Tees, good greens gently sloping in places.

Superb production recommended for use in PGLS tours

#13 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

I had to move a lot of trees that were causing collider problems.

The course is a bit more claustrophobic in real life, especially now.... I haven't been there for a long time but I've seen a few more recent photos and I can't believe how narrow it is. I don't think it would be much fun to play in Perfect Golf in that state, so I had to be a little bit practical about it.

#14 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:45 AM

Updated with collider fixes.

A couple of additional oak trees that I created in the modeler were the culprits. In one case, a sphere collider was nearly 100 percent empty space; it was that far off the tree. This might explain those shots that fell out of the sky in mid air.

Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox....egc1_1.zip?dl=0

Update also sent to PGLS - splash screen will display a "v 1.1" watermark.

• balaceanca81 likes this

#15 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:44 PM

I know the modeler program well as well as a few of us that play this game on Friday nights INCLUDING BrainZ111 and I had a feeling it was something like that. We played it last Friday Since Brian wanted to play it and we noticed some collisions had to be set wrong because there was no tree where it bounced..lol

Me and BrianZ111 play golf each year once or twice in real life in the Eau Claire area and usually it's Wild Ridge, wow talk about a tough course..lol

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#16 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:29 AM

I've had to upload another build - this one ended up having a tree in the middle of a tee box and another blocking a green. Not sure how it happened.

Version 1.2 is the latest one and should hopefully be issue-free.
  • xooze likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users