6 replies to this topic

#1 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

A few screenshots of my first attempt at an overlay course. I was keen to try this method as it's perfect for the random appearance of links courses. I was pleased that the google image was during a very dry spell so captures that summer links look. Its a course I was a member of for 10 years so hopefully can get it looking and playing fairly accurately. As a CF novice and a Photoshop virgin its been a lot to learn. Still a lot to do with the image in PS but I'm liking the look. Just started some planting but debating whether or not to do any. My other course was bogged down with too much grass and don't want this to go the same way. Planted a little on one hole which looks good so may carry on. The course isn't spectacular so if you're not a lover of links then I wouldn't get excited.

3ZXeIdN.png

HnhXeCS.png

71Ptdd8.png

gwdSY5o.png

Wg8gm36.png

HlynxPy.png

• luetze, LeazesNDR, mcthommo and 5 others like this

#2 mcthommo

mcthommo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

looking mighty fine and as a lover of links courses, bring it on :D

Intel 9900k @5GHZ

Asus RTX 3090 Strix OC

32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200

Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390

Noctua NH-D15 Cromax 

Fractal Design Meshify S2

WDC WD10EFRX 1TB NVME drive

2x 14TB Hitachi NAS HDD

Colour scheme by Nigel Tufnell- "None more black"

#3 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

I absolutely love that look. You may find that you want to use traditional CF layers for tee boxes, greens or both.

It depends on your Photoshop skills. Sometimes, if you can't get the overlay to look just right, you can bypass it on more manicured areas like the tee by using CF textures.

I'm looking at the tee with grandstand. I would lean toward trying Photoshop to create a periheral grass layer about 1m wide around the closely mown area. It's just a thought. I figure they water that and the greens.

Regardless, that looks so good!

#4 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

Tbh I’ve been chatting to an eminent Course Forger on that very subject. The image must have been during a non tournament year when the championship tees were not watered and consequently completely yellow. I’ve played about with a couple of tees greening them up a bit. I also used a watered forward tee to clone stamp a yellow tee but it was tricky to blend it in. Still a lot of trial and error ahead.
DPRoberts......you might recognise the stands. Thanks for sharing.

#5 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:07 PM

Still having trouble with the black swirls where the rough overlaps. I’ve redone the splines a few times but still getting them.

#6 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

It's looking good Andrew. I know what course it is :huh:

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#7 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:41 PM

Cheers Justin. I’m still a bit wary of the legal position with real courses. I don’t want Brigadier Peter Ledger-Lomas knocking on my door for royalties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users