10 replies to this topic

#1 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 11:02 PM

This is for those building with the DPR House Builder in Unity and struggling with the flashing building issue with Dynamic Skies ON. I promise that the Blender part should be less than 1 minute once you know what to do. You really do not need to understand anything in Blender other than what is shown in the video. The end of the video also shows how to make a prefab of your custom object and import it into another project if you desire.

The problem is from overlapping vertices in Unity. The reflective water patch eliminates this Unity issue. Newer versions of Unity eliminated this issue. Where we are with PG1, it will require you to remove the overlapping vertices. This is why even the bulkheads PP makes for Florida Glades flash. They are just pieces that overlap and the Dynamic lighting doesn't play nice with it.

But, better made objects with no overlapping vertices do not have this issue. It's why I moved all my building to Blender. I honestly like building in Unity better because of visualization and speed. This could be the happy middle ground. Build in Unity. Export to Blender for a quick join and remove of doubles. Back into Unity and add Materials.

Enjoy!

• highfade, bortimus, RobC and 4 others like this

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:53 AM

If you are crafty in Blender, after joining the object and removing doubles, leave edit mode (Tab) and if you choose Mesh-Transform-Origin to Geometry, your object will have the correct center point in Unity and should drag out correctly with the cursor.

My apologies for not having that in the video.
  • Skunky likes this

#3 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:48 AM

this is invaluable dp.thanks again!

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#4 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:37 AM

DP thanks so much for posting this tutorial.  This is a big issue on my courses that I need to address. 

I will try to tackle this when I have some time.

#5 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Very nice and thanks for sharing.  I've been doing this with mesh combines inside of unity, but the blender option looks to be an easier way to do it.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

Cool. I will be interested to see how it goes. There will be some issues to tweak through is my guess.

#7 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

Hey DP, 

Is there a way to bring the .fbx back in with the original textures still applied?  I'm doing this retroactively to already textured clubhouses.

It would be nice to not have to rextexture each building.   

Great tutorial and thanks again.  

#8 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:45 PM

Hey DP,

Is there a way to bring the .fbx back in with the original textures still applied? I'm doing this retroactively to already textured clubhouses.
It would be nice to not have to rextexture each building.

Great tutorial and thanks again.

I think it would depend on how you are importing the FBX. Find what you did for the inspector settings for naming of materials on Import for your current clubhouse.

I would think if you drop the new clubhouse into the same folder as the other and the Material naming is identical, you won't have to do anything. Essentially, it would recognize that the material already exists.

I know when I edit a building and re-import it, it works this way and I don't have to retexture or reassign Materials.

#9 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:04 AM

I guess this is where to ask this question. So I created the perfect club house in Blender 2.83. Then I import asset into my Unity (.fbx or .obj makes no difference) program but none of the textures or materials are there. I have just a gray club house. Surely I must be doing something wrong since I know all the texture and material information is there, somewhere. What am I missing. Thank you.

Calvin De Beverly

#10 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:31 AM

When you imported your asset into Unity, I'm guessing it made a materials folder with it if you assigned materials to it in Blender.

You can change your import settings in the inspector for the FBX so that it imports the Blender material name correctly (assign material by name, in drop-down, I believe) but that's not super important. Really just matters if the same quantity of materials show and you know what they reference.

You will then need to find your Materials in your Project panel, import your textures and click each individually and assign the textures to the appropriate slots.

I've never tested it but I bet you could appropriately name and save things and bring in the .blend file and not have to reassign anything.

But, I've always put my materials together manually in Unity. Once you put them together, your object will show (or should show) correctly in the Scene view.

#11 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:16 AM

Thank you DPRoberts for the input. Or would that be output? LOL The thing is I did not understand much of what you said. On the flip side I exported my .fbx file from blender directly into the Assets folder ba-da-bing, there was my model in living color and texture. When unity opened I saw a small window I had never seen before that showed it was loading my .fbx file or clubhouse. There as you indicated was the clubhouse and a list of my materials. I did not have to match anything up it was just there. I drag it into the terrain and all was well. I just have to flatten out the terrain where I was to place my clubhouse. Right now it is buried in a slope. 

Thanks again,

Calvin De Beverly

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users