Volker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationSehnde, Germany

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

Attached File  Tr01.png   304.45KB   2 downloads

So jealous of Trackman players. München Eichenried was one of my favorites in Links 2003, designed by Gunter Kujat.

• Joe Habiger, Buck and Charles like this

#2 Arsam

Arsam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:33 AM

Wow, same here.  I loved all of Gunter's courses in LINKS, but Munchen Nord was my all time favorite.  I would love to see one of our very talented designers recreate those German courses including; Gut Laerchenhof, and the Gut Kaden A,B & C courses.

RTS-Mouse Swing, Pro Level, BLI

HP Pavilion 790-0025T Minitower Gaming PC
Intel Hexa-Core i7-8700 cpu @ 3.2 GHz (Turbo up to 4.6 GHz), 12 MB Cache
64-bit Operating Sys​tem, x64 Based Processor
400 Watt Power Supply
16 GB DDR4-26666MHz 2-DIMM Memory
NVidia GeForce GTX1060 3GB Gaming Graphic Card

DELL D3218HN 31.5" Full HD LED Back-Lit HDMI Monitor, 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz  Maximum Resolution, 4,000,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio

Windows 10 Home Edition, 64 bit - DirecrX v.12.0

#3 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

Same here. Munchen Nord is a great course and one of Europe's top courses. Same with Wentworth West* in England. Hopefully somebody is going to take a crack at these beauties for JNPG! (* 'Westhaven' doesn't do it justice). Another one is Valderrama in Spain {PS: all courses were classics in LINKS.} .. :rolleyes:

• fungolfer and J_Schollmeyer like this

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#4 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

Isn't there a way to convert the old Links courses in PG? Thought I remember something along those lines being mentioned back in the beginning.

#5 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:08 PM

Isn't there a way to convert the old Links courses in PG? 

The problem is it must be the designers course version, and it was so long ago that most designers have moved on. Even if they would probably share the files if one asked, most are lost by now I guess.  And I don´t know how much work it means, I think Matthew Rose converted some.

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

I know this is a dead horse – really dead – but I just don’t understand why they won’t offer these to us for sale like the other first party courses in the past.

Isn’t it just extra revenue sitting there waiting to be had?

They’ve already paid the licensing fees and employees to make the courses.

This is supposed to be the beauty of digital distribution and zero marginal cost for revenue from customers that are just sitting here waiting to click “buy” and already have the game installed.

Such a bummer.
I think I would’ve purchased nearly every one they’ve released.
  • Parboy likes this

#7 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:34 PM

PP does have a course conversion tool, but it has not been updated or supported for a long time. It still works though, and although there is no active product key, I can still use it as a "trial". It's actually still available from the beta forum here but I don't know who has access to it, who doesn't, and whether or not I should openly advertise it (especially since it seems to have been abandoned by the developers).

The results vary; it doesn't always seem to be exactly 100 percent to scale and the elevation often comes out in a terraced sort of effect (blocky, not smooth) but with some work you can get it fairly close. I've put out a couple of originals that were conversions so far and I have a couple more I'm working on.

Here are some comparative screenshots:

vfq30GK.jpg

snQXlDv.jpg

i6TfikE.jpg

L58rmzx.jpg

VG2 • PG • 2k21 • 2019 • Links • GBC • JN5

#8 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

That looks pretty good.  Do you have Banff Springs on Links?  Would be a great course to convert since LIDAR is not available.

• Parboy and Buck like this

#9 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:46 PM

I know this is a dead horse – really dead – but I just don’t understand why they won’t offer these to us for sale like the other first party courses in the past.

I think I would’ve purchased nearly every one they’ve released.

Anything that comes out of our mouths is dead air to trackman sorry.

2nd, I agree I would have everyone as well and there is probably about $100 to be made by them from each person with the amount of courses they have that we don't!

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#10 Parboy

Parboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationKansas City MO by way of Santa Ana CA

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:07 PM

How much do they charge Trackman players for the courses?

#11 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:29 PM

How much do they charge Trackman players for the courses?

To my knowledge nothing extra.
It’s just included in their subscription

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:31 PM

PP does have a course conversion tool, but it has not been updated or supported for a long time. It still works though, and although there is no active product key, I can still use it as a "trial". It's actually still available from the beta forum here but I don't know who has access to it, who doesn't, and whether or not I should openly advertise it (especially since it seems to have been abandoned by the developers).

The results vary; it doesn't always seem to be exactly 100 percent to scale and the elevation often comes out in a terraced sort of effect (blocky, not smooth) but with some work you can get it fairly close. I've put out a couple of originals that were conversions so far and I have a couple more I'm working on.

Here are some comparative screenshots:vfq30GK.jpg

snQXlDv.jpg

i6TfikE.jpg

L58rmzx.jpg

So do you end up having to redo the planting?
That second comparison set… The trees behind the green seem very different in terms of layout and density

#13 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

Correct - it all has to be replanted. Links uses 2D trees. But these are fictional courses so I'm not really trying to recreate the planting exactly as it is anyway (and neither one of these is really close to a finished product, either).

The program (Terrain Forge) spits out a .raw file. Then you go into the APCD, open the course in the top view, and take a screenshot, which you then have to paste into a square image and that's your overhead texture.

Assuming you've done it right, the elevations and overhead will line up perfectly, but that never quite happens for me. But I find it is usually close enough to work.

Unfortunately I'm not able to convert any of the stock courses because they are locked. You have to have the unlocked .CRZ. I think for real courses working from lidar is better anyway, although that's not always possible.

#14 Wirenut48

Wirenut48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:38 AM

I would imagine any licencing fees that were paid by Trackman don't include distribution for this game.

Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW, Corsair iCUE SP140 RGB ELITE Fans, Corsair RMx 850 W PS, MSI MPG Z590 GAMING CARBON WIFI, i9-11900K 3.5 GHz 8-Core, G.Skill Trident Z Royal 32 GB, Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-NVME, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2-NVMe, NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal), Samsung 65Q9FN QLED, HTC Vive

#15 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:17 AM

A kick in the teeth for us to see the trackman train rolling on down the line, while we hit the buffers a long time ago. :(

• cajuncapgun, LeazesNDR and Buck like this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#16 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:52 PM

Why dont you guys create a new forum call it PERFECT GOLF BASHING  , give it a break if you know its not happening just go eleswhere and find a new forum to visit 20 times daily..

#17 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:34 PM

Very true, and for those of us eager to share our design talents with them, it was also disappointing that there didn't seem to be much interest there going forward.

• Buck likes this

#18 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:43 PM

Here's a link right to the video:

https://scontent.cdn...dninstagram.com

I do want to say though that what our third party designers have done here really is amazing, especially in contrast.

The course in the video is very nice, but to be fair, it's pretty bog standard stuff.

There still isn't any reflective water, no 3D grass, fairly basic bunker work, and no hints of overlay usage, which done tastefully and selectively I think adds a TON...

The 1st party design techniques all seem to have evolved very little from the very first PP courses, or at least to my naked layman eye anyhow.

Maybe you designers see some stuff that's gotten better from the very early PP courses?

#19 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:02 PM

I have played a few of the Trackman renditions and can verify you aren't missing much. Shelter Harbor is well done. They must've tweaked the stock textures for it because it isn't the oversaturated set. Planting/vegetation is solid. Like a RobC rendition.

Montecito provided me a good laugh. Billboards all have the "jaggies". This was a problem I discussed years ago and suggested a solution. http://www.perfectpa...s/?fromsearch=1

Point is when they don't have a community to provide some ability to proofread their work, I think their quality will suffer. However, I promise you that their user base doesn't really know better so it'll work out for them.

We've got plenty they don't have. Classic Renditions Royal Melbourne will be another leap forward with bunkering technique.

Not sure why their newly hired doesn't try and push anything new but maybe they don't want something that feels better or different or they'd have to go back and redo old courses.

Save it all for the Trackman VG2...
  • Buck likes this

#20 M Rose

M Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:47 PM

PP's courses are all pretty well executed and are clean and tidy - for one they never seem to have issues with invisible colliders or bad drops or anything like that, as far as I can tell. I know those things continue to pop up in my work no matter how hard I try to get rid of them.

But like DP says - they use the same stock textures for literally everything. It all feels a little bit paint by numbers, using the same 8 colors. I get the idea that they never go beyond the standard default library.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users