21 replies to this topic

#1 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 09:42 PM

I want to share another procedure of planting 3d grass (Stixgames DX11 grass shader). This time to get the grass in a more clumpy and clustered fashion. This could be useful for planting the grass on forest floors, gravel, dunes or similar ground. 

Some basic CourseForge and Blender knowledge is recommended but it's quite easy and lets you plant large areas in short time.

First select the desired spline in Course debug mode or in CF spline mode by clicking on the spline's name (here Spline 91) so the mesh frame is visible.

ghP2NSk.jpg

1OaEck4.jpg

Then export your spline as an *.obj with the free OBJ exporter and save it.

LffNGkd.jpg

Next import your *.obj in Blender.

tfAEhsN.jpg

Then in Edit mode use the Subdivide tool and play mainly with the Fractal setting to get something like this.

(If you add more steps of subdivison your file size can quickly explode. So be careful.)

QUW9YDl.jpg

When you're done export your altered *.obj and reimport it as an asset in Unity.

Place it above your original spline.

EaBYjau.jpg

Then lower its position so that only the mesh's peaks are visible anymore.

2jRooHl.jpg

Then assign your 3D grass(es) to the material slots. Depending on your *.obj's size Unity may have splitted it in several meshes. 

SYjHIBK.jpg

With this procedure i quickly achieved something like this. Nice chaotic grass clusters with various orientation over a large area.

5aEmNbh.jpg

Results may vary completely depending on your settings, textures and and and. I also just started experimenting with this approach. There for sure are some drawbacks too, like the visible fading of the grass in the distance or the raised file sizes. Depending on your 3D grass' density or falloff setting you can't set the fade too far as well as the frames will suffer. But that's the nature of the 3D grass. I hope this still maybe useful here or there for some folks.

Just give it a try and have fun tweaking.

• Mike Jones, KenR, AlanR54NC and 10 others like this

#2 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 10:57 PM

That last pic is awesome!!!

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#3 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:23 PM

Great idea. Thanks for sharing

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:06 AM

Better lay up.  Nice work Birdie.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

Loving the close up views but to get decent framerates not loving the distance views...

VS3LIXg.jpg

Cheers RobC

• Mike Jones, Joe Habiger, highfade and 5 others like this

#6 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

Loving the close up views but to get decent framerates not loving the distance views...
VS3LIXg.jpg
Cheers RobC

Need to see if that can be solved because these looks are epic!
  • Joe Habiger likes this

#7 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:05 PM

Yes, looks really really nice! And as you say the transition from naked to planted is the stick in the eye. Maybe a combination of 3d grass and normal objects could make the contrast a little less drastic.

#8 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

Wonder if you can place 2 meshes and 2 differing materials for the 3dg to get the effect you are after. Then, one material handling a near view and one handling the far view and they blend at like 50m.

I know I got a big FPS hit if that mesh is being subdivided too much. You've convinced me there is good reason to try and solve this...

#9 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:56 PM

I'm loving these pictures - fantastic to see the innovation here I'm as excited as anyone! I'm not here to comment on PG2 just to give my appreciation of some truly great work being done by the community.

If I were to put my 2 pence worth in I would suggest a clever combination of 3d grass and 2d grass so there is less of a contrast between near and far views, adopt the maxim of less is more, and explore the possibility of creating 3 or 4 LOD's for the imported meshes and also by splitting them into multiple smaller meshes so you can set the furthest LOD to the distance where the 3d grass just fades out. In this way the performance hit would be minimal and the 'look' would not be sacrificed at all. 

• Unique, RobC, NoPutt and 2 others like this

#10 zmax - sim

zmax - sim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:13 PM

Cheers RobC

Looking good.

What course is this?

#11 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:20 PM

I'm loving these pictures - fantastic to see the innovation here I'm as excited as anyone! I'm not here to comment on PG2 just to give my appreciation of some truly great work being done by the community.

If I were to put my 2 pence worth in I would suggest a clever combination of 3d grass and 2d grass so there is less of a contrast between near and far views, adopt the maxim of less is more, and explore the possibility of creating 3 or 4 LOD's for the imported meshes and also by splitting them into multiple smaller meshes so you can set the furthest LOD to the distance where the 3d grass just fades out. In this way the performance hit would be minimal and the 'look' would not be sacrificed at all.

I definitely had no big focus on LODs until the 3d grass came into play and there's not much experience on my side. It's more like that in the beginning I removed LOD3 or 4 from this or that Speedtree completely because "...no, without them it looks nicer..."🙏. And the funny thing is the frames were still up to the skies.
So yes, I also hope there is still some unused potential to keep things fluid and at the same time on a high level in terms of visuals.
Especially the LOD on meshes sounds interesting! Does this actually reduce the mesh's polycount in a defined distance by a definable level? This could be a key for these huge retopologized and layered meshes which can add so much detail when a tiny bit fractal subdivided. I think of these subtle bumps in the rough. But you absolutely only need this amount of detail a few meters around the player. So if the mesh LODs will work the way I dream of atm... this could be a real winner.

#12 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:08 PM

My first thought is a mesh can only exist in 1 LOD state. So, you would probably have to section your meshes horizontally along the hole. (Perpendicular to the hole). This could be done in Blender fairly easily to break up the meshes.

Hope that makes sense. Think if you're standing on a mesh that extended from the beginning to the end of the hole, it would stay in LOD0 state. But, divided up you might have a chance of viewing LOD 0, 1, and 2 at the same time.
  • Birdie likes this

#13 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 06:53 PM

Hm, there seems to be some more research needed. I quickly googled with my phone for "unity mesh lod" and saw some tiny screens where a mesh had much less polygons depending on the lod. At least it looked like this, I didn't read any further. Maybe this is not applicable to our meshes.
And talking about larger retopologized meshes, Unity already divided them in countless parts depending on polycount. These were more extreme tests for sure but anyway wouldn't make things easier I guess...

#14 Skunky

Skunky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Locationmarble falls tx

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:41 PM

birdie my question is when you bring back in the mesh and it sticks up above the other mesh does it not wreck havoc with dynamic skys on.or mabey you could answer this rob since youve all ready tried it.by the way looks amazing..

shadowcreek: tpc avenel:tpc san antonio:valhalla:quail hollow:trump coltsneck:hudson valley:ferry point:bedminster old and new course

Pasatiempo:Kingswood:Carnoustie:Augusta:SandHollow:TPC Summerlin

#15 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:45 PM

I would probably rather subdivide and warp the mesh and then return it to a less poly state.

LOD could work but, because the grass shader plants grass based on vertices on the mesh, it could get odd results.

If you let Unity break up your mesh, you essentially can be viewing like 8-16 different meshes at once with the grass material. Using smaller meshes, like encircling bunkers or pick and choose spots like on hills, etc is probably better.

There are a few thoughts to go around and play with.

You can also run a 4 texture variant with a UV and leave one blank to get patchy areas.

#16 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:53 PM

birdie my question is when you bring back in the mesh and it sticks up above the other mesh does it not wreck havoc with dynamic skys on.or mabey you could answer this rob since youve all ready tried it.by the way looks amazing..

Yes, Skunky, my course looks horrible with dyn sky on. Ugly patches all over the place. I don't know if DPs "y" tweak would solve this as i don't use it atm. But even when no patches i don't like the look of my course that much with dyn sky on as it takes control over lighting and shadows and whatever. And the 3d grass seems to be very sensitive when it comes to these.

#17 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:08 PM

I would probably rather subdivide and warp the mesh and then return it to a less poly state.

LOD could work but, because the grass shader plants grass based on vertices on the mesh, it could get odd results.

If you let Unity break up your mesh, you essentially can be viewing like 8-16 different meshes at once with the grass material. Using smaller meshes, like encircling bunkers or pick and choose spots like on hills, etc is probably better.

There are a few thoughts to go around and play with.

You can also run a 4 texture variant with a UV and leave one blank to get patchy areas.

Don't know your warp tactic, DP. And i also haven't found a final solution how to handle the meshes. I also tried to surround bunkers with a higher poly CF layer which looked nice. It seems the Instant Meshes tool then also has less problems to keep a mesh's shape when there are less bunkers/tight corners in as a result of surrounding them with another CF spline.

If i only started a desert course where's not that much of rough... :D

#18 Drrobmiller

Drrobmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • LocationLong island

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:42 PM

the high grass looks excellent, but why not just normally plant 3d "high fesque" grass along the bunker edges?

For the rough and fringe I understand the 3d grass concept, but for those pics with the high grass near the bunkers,...regular planting but with 3d grass objects?

rob

#19 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 12:54 AM

To just plant around some bunkers that could be true, Doc.

I just wanted to post another option which might suit here well.

You can do the same things but with "normal" objects for example in Speedtree Modeler. Or even combine both variants.

#20 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:26 AM

On the Manila Southwoods Course the 10th back tee is an island tee which in reality is surrounded or covered by a ring of bushy plants. Don't know what exactly it is but it looks like this. I tried to recreate this by splining this ring around the tee, exporting it as an *.obj first to Blender and importing it in Speedtree as a mesh "zone" to grow off it.

So this was the spline slightly fractalised in Blender

U3ftf07.jpg

Here you see it imported in Speedtree Modeler with Hedge leafes growing off this mesh (i first just tried the unedited spline mesh but this fractal subdivision really add these tiny natural bumps and kills the uniformity)

Co6UvYu.jpg

To also place 3d grass on this ring i simply erased some big parts mainly from the middle of the fractalised mesh again in Blender to just have it growing here and there

4BhVZCA.jpg

And here some in game shots with the final result with a combination of 3d shaded and "normal" Speedtree objects.

RmMBsb5.jpg

kkmrz4z.jpg

6s98Up9.jpg

CCwubZD.jpg

mKBXd6P.jpg

BXqNpHm.jpg

So to come back to you, Rob, this probably should work with bunkers too. Even more there is a lot of potential for really fancy things.

I highly can recommend the Speedtree Modeler. It's absolutely powerful. I don't know if i was reading that you can also import uv mapped meshes and attach greyscale masks to define where somethings is allowed to grow. Not sure but there are great options for well defined and tweakable mass planting for example.

May the ressources be with us...

• NoPutt and Dropzone73 like this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users