8 replies to this topic

#1 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:34 AM

I started this project to learn overlay and Photoshop. Then 3D grass appeared and I'm back to the drawing board. 

With the Open on and links courses in the spotlight a few friends on here suggested I put a playable beta out there for some feedback. The Google image was from a very dry summer so gives a very parched appearance. I've actually greened the image up a lot from the original. The bunkers are severe IRL but they are brutal in PG. I played around with the settings to soften the front lip but it had the effect of stretching the back lip which looked terrible. I want to get to grips with 3D grass. The semi rough I've tried looks great and the latest post from Birdie with the clumpy rough would look fantastic here but I'm a long way off that.

Here's a link to a non-3D beta on which I'd be happy to receive constructive feedback. It won't be to everyone's taste and obviously without hard conditions and some wind it will play pretty easy. 

https://www.dropbox...._beta1.zip?dl=0

• balaceanca81 and Charles like this

#2 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:09 PM

Super so far. Played smooth, nice work! Only had time for frnt 9.

2 small items.

Sorry I didn't take a pic but there is a small parking lot on front 9 that could be flattened.

1hhZSvJ.jpg

cLUSuHS.png

• Tresclub likes this

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#3 balaceanca81

balaceanca81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

Plays great,i didn't find any problems...Thanks. :)

#4 Goran JoeMen

Goran JoeMen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:27 PM

Great course, played first solo trying to find mistakes and then a multiplayer round with hard grounds and windy.  Could not see anything wrong and started to love the dry look, perhaps they would water the tee areas more on a famous course like Royal Liverpool though? Not sure if 3D grass would make it look better, the varied colored textures are nice as they are.

Like your first design W.Lancashire very much too.

• Charles likes this

http://www.goranmentzer.st

RTS-M pro  -  Intel i5-9600K 3.7ghz  - 16GB  RAM - GeForce RTX 2060 super  - 2560x1440

#5 yesrushdt

yesrushdt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:12 AM

Course looks superb overall as do the grandstands and hospitality tents you added.  There are some areas at the beginning of the back 9 with flat houses/structures that should be covered up. I'll let you know if I spot anything else when I play the front 9 tomorrow.

#6 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:26 AM

There are houses surrounding the course. I was going to add some more along the side of 10 but wasn’t sure of the FPS at the moment. I have a good spec machine so it’s easy to get carried away and think everything is fine.
Thanks for the feedback.

#7 Charles

Charles

RTSM forever!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • LocationHolland, Europe.

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:46 AM

This is a beautiful beast! The dried out look is a great visual warning: watch out! This course must be played with testing conditions as the colors and vista is one of high summer and a beating sun. Links courses can be green and receptive but links courses can also be tough hard s.o.b.'s where many a player is made to look like a fool and the par is the holy grail. Royal Liverpool is a great addition to the Open courses rota in JNPG. I dont know if 3D grass will be necessary to be honest. Maybe in the deep rough away from the fairways but otherwise this course sure looks the looks. I will pay special attention to the pin positions with 13 and 14 stimps as the greens must be able to handle these. When playing lower stimps the winds will have to come into play ofcourse. The only defence this course has are the winds a/o fast greens after all. Very happy Liverpool has joined the Open rota in the game!

RTSM / Pro / In the bag: D,3/7W,1H,5i-60W,P.

* Favorite Designers: Skunky - DoGgs - RobC - IanK - PGA Pro - Gary Norman - DrTwist - Bortimus -

DPRoberts - High Fade - Classic Renditions - Matt Rose - Mikahenrik and ... Mike Jones! *

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect.

It is at the same time rewarding and maddening - and without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented".

= Arnold Palmer =

#8 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:36 AM

Super so far. Played smooth, nice work! Only had time for frnt 9.
2 small items.
Sorry I didn't take a pic but there is a small parking lot on front 9 that could be flattened.

1hhZSvJ.jpg

cLUSuHS.png

#9 andrewjjones43#

andrewjjones43#

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:41 AM

I used the Decals for the Open logos. The problem was that they caused a lot of flashing when flush to the buildings so I had to set them slightly off. If you look closely they will all be the same. I’m sure there’s a Blender solution but I’ll get back to Blender school and sort that.
RL has the Walker Cup this year so I might change the decals and do a Blender crash course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users