8 replies to this topic

#1 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

...but I say it first, it didn't work in game.

But i want to share it anyway. I was searching the web for something what could be useful or bring back some performance when working with additional meshes (3d grass, Speedtree Zones). I found some scripts which looked very promising and even worked in Unity. But yes, it has somehow its hands on the Main Camera (only had to rename the "Main Camera" to "Player" to make it work btw). In these scripts is only one value you can edit, how far away from the player an object gets turned off/on. It worked succesfully (again, only in Unity) with my clubhouse and non-splitted 3d grass meshes for example. The distance value counts from player to center of object. So probably larger meshes would have needed to be splitted and the parts kept as single objects to keep the scripts value low.

Maybe completely useless to show it but something like this could be useful especially for the shorter 3d grass which is only needed not too far around the player. How much of a performance gain this actually would bring in game i don't know. Maybe MJ can make an exception and allow these scripts to be working in game or make some secret tests and tell us... :D

Here is a link to the video if you're interested. (Don't know how or if i should embed it..)

Edit: Ah, got automatically embedded...

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:02 PM

Birdie, we can do LOD groups. So, it is possible to try some things without scripting.

Strangely, you have to set LOD0 and LOD1 as the same object as LOD0 never seems to show in game.

There are some posts on this forum about it. There is also a free asset that can be used to decrease poly counts on meshes to create LOD groups. I will try and post those links if I can find them.

#3 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

I've played around with this. When you set it up correctly, you can either use their standalone exe from the website or inside Unity to edit your models.

https://assetstore.u...d-edition-14356

#4 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:23 PM

I've played around with this. When you set it up correctly, you can either use their website or inside Unity to edit your models.

I've looked at this asset a couple times.  The LOD trick is great, but it just looks odd when the item pops into view at full res.

Sigh, its soooo too easy to spend money on these pixel makers/modifiers...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#5 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:34 AM

I've played around with this. When you set it up correctly, you can either use their standalone exe from the website or inside Unity to edit your models.

Thanks, DP. Something like this for sure looks interesting. Have to read a little more about this generally.

#6 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:01 AM

Strangely, you have to set LOD0 and LOD1 as the same object as LOD0 never seems to show in game.

I think all the LOD's will use the in game tree quality settings so you would probably have to set tree detail to max for an object with LOD 0 to show up but then it would probably kill your frame rates on some courses.

• DPRoberts likes this

#7 KChavis

KChavis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:47 PM

Mike! Good to see you're back.....any word on PG2?.......

#8 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

Guess you didn't see this in the other thread.....I'm not here to comment on PG2 just to give my appreciation of some truly great work being done by the community.

• RobC, jspirate and Abe like this

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#9 Abe

Abe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:06 PM

We all skipped that question deliberately, KC. We want to keep MJ feeling comfortable about popping in now and then.

• RobC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users