5 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 12:35 PM

I'm not sure if Photoshop users have this same issue, but I'm having trouble figuring this out in GIMP.

When trying to edit (add border, combine, erase etc..) billboard grass images that have a background color/color bleed visible like this:

0Cf2KAq.jpg

This happens in Unity: 

PK154gf.jpg

I have tried adjusting the transparency import settings but nothing seems to work.   

This isn't an issue with grass images that have the alpha layer visible like

this: 

6wbdTw4.jpg

These types of images can be freely edited/erased/cut/combined etc..  with no issues and appear fine in Unity.

Is there a way to make the first grass image appear and "behave" like the second grass image? 

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.  

#2 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:11 PM

This from K11 a couple of years ago,

hang on and I'll give you a link to the Photoshop add-on 

wDDgD3i.jpg

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#3 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 01 November 2019 - 05:15 PM

Once in Unity, check the "alpha is transparent" in inspector and apply.

This is Photoshop, sorry, just reread and I know nothing about Gimp.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#4 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:03 PM

Can you view the channels? Can you add an alpha layer like in the video below? Then, just cut out the background with selection?

In Photoshop, I will select the green in the image and then select inverse. Shrink the selection by 1 or 2 pixels. Feather the selection by 1 or 2 pixels. Then, select the channels tab and add a new layer. This automatically creates the alpha layer (which is black). Select the alpha layer and paint bucket the selection white. Now, you have an alpha layer that is of the vegetation only and that Unity will recognize.

In the inspector of the file in Unity, you'll need to select "alpha is transparency".

#5 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:05 PM

#6 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 02:18 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.  Now it's working. 

I appreciate the help! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users