#1 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 November 2019 - 11:10 PM

My question is directed to all you designers. Do you have control  when designing over the distance in regards to the club selection that is realistic. Let's  say that you are in the fairway with 175 yds to the green. The elevation from your ball location to an elevated green shows to be about 50 ft. In real golf, you would think that you should increase your club selection by at least one or two clubs allowing for the elevation. I have noticed on more than one occasion on numerous designs, that this kind of elevation has little if any effect on the distance that the ball will travel, Putting distances also seem to vary noticeably. Let's say you have greens set to 10 on the stimp meter, and you have a straight and level putt of about 50 ft. Using the same location on the swing meter you can end up leaving a putt 10ft. short on some greens where on others using the same distance mark on the meter you will end up running the ball 10 or 15 ft. past the hole. This is why I wonder if the designer has manual control  over such settings?

#2 clubcaptain

clubcaptain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 12:56 AM

My 3C  shots are certainly affected by changes in elevation be that up or down. If on putts you stop the 3C meter at the same mark, say quarter to 6 the ball will travel different distances for different stimp readings and travels a noticeably shorter distance if green settings are soft.

PC specs...

Intel core I7 9700k 3.6 GHZ-Turbo 4.9 GHZ
64 GB Corsair vengeance  LPX DDR4 2400 MHZ
Asus PRIME Z390-P 
Nvidea GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windows 10 PRO NA 64 bit

#3 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2019 - 01:38 AM

My 3C  shots are certainly affected by changes in elevation be that up or down. If on putts you stop the 3C meter at the same mark, say quarter to 6 the ball will travel different distances for different stimp readings and travels a noticeably shorter distance if green settings are soft.

I fully understand about different settings to the greens. I was referring to identical settings to the greens with level putts. There are noticeable differences on quite a few courses. As far as the elevation changes issue, many courses do compensate for it. However, a lot of courses do not or at least not to any noticeable degree. I guess my problem is that I play PG in the light of physics that hold true in the actual game of golf. I don't quite know why but I have been chasing a ball around for over 50 years, In my opinion, the physics in PG could stand a little fine tuning.

#4 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:31 AM

My question is directed to all you designers. Do you have control when designing over the distance in regards to the club selection that is realistic. Let's say that you are in the fairway with 175 yds to the green. The elevation from your ball location to an elevated green shows to be about 50 ft. In real golf, you would think that you should increase your club selection by at least one or two clubs allowing for the elevation. I have noticed on more than one occasion on numerous designs, that this kind of elevation has little if any effect on the distance that the ball will travel, Putting distances also seem to vary noticeably. Let's say you have greens set to 10 on the stimp meter, and you have a straight and level putt of about 50 ft. Using the same location on the swing meter you can end up leaving a putt 10ft. short on some greens where on others using the same distance mark on the meter you will end up running the ball 10 or 15 ft. past the hole. This is why I wonder if the designer has manual control over such settings?

With sim hardware, 30 feet higher elevated green is about 10 yards difference. I would assume 3 click would be similar.

#5 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:29 AM

With sim hardware, 30 feet higher elevated green is about 10 yards difference. I would assume 3 click would be similar.

Yes, that sounds reasonable to me. So on 50' elevation maybe a club and a half or 2 depending on wind etc. Problem is that on a lot of courses using one or two clubs more with that kind of elevation results in a lot of shots flying the green.

#6 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

The rule of thumb for elevation changes within the game is as stated by Stingreye.  Approximately +/- 1 yard of carry for each +/- yard of elevation change.  Even slight head/tail winds will also affect carry distance.

Putting distances on a perfectly flat green, i.e. Woodys Practice Area, are consistent across all power/stimp settings.  Green firmness does not affect putt distances. 

A dot on the meter covers a 2% difference in power from the bottom of the dot to the top of the dot. 

One must factor in whether you hit a putt at, for example, 50.00% power or 50.99% power (the game reads to 5 decimal places).  Both will read 50% in practice mode but there will be a slight difference (up to about a foot at 10 stimp) in the length the putt travels.  At 100% (+/-.9%) the difference is about 3 feet.  The higher the stimp the greater that distance will be.

There are the slight up/down elevations on greens that can affect final distance.  An elevation on the green that displays 0 inches can, in fact, be anywhere from -.9 to +.9 inches - essentially a 2" differential.

The end result being that a putt that one thinks should go a specific distance can come up short or long depending upon various factors that aren't readily apparent.

That's golf.  :)

• SteadiEddie, tanman05851 and DPRoberts like this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#7 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#8 jurgie

jurgie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:10 AM

Thanks Joe, I appreciate your comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users