3 replies to this topic

#1 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 12:40 AM

I cut a hole in a fairway mesh to plant a tree (think Pebble's 18th) assuming that's the way to do it but when the course compiled the tree was gone...I guess I have to plant it on mesh?

If so is it better to plant the tree, then draw the spline, or build the mesh then plant the tree?

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:04 AM

Why do you want to cut a hole in the mesh for the tree?

The presence or absence of the tree will have nothing to do with the mesh. Something must be off with the LOD of your tree.

If you want a specific planting of a tree and some control over shape, size and depth of planting, I usually drag and drop the tree from the main .spm SpeedTree file from the Project panel instead of using the tree planting tool. This way your tree will be an object in the hierarchy that you can move and size freely.

#3 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 01:38 AM

Why do you want to cut a hole in the mesh for the tree?

I've always had it in my head that trees and grasses should be on the terrain.

A fairway tree will have rough surrounding it so I thought either way (mesh cutout or rough spline) would work, but the tree didn't turn up with the mesh cutout.

The presence or absence of the tree will have nothing to do with the mesh. Something must be off with the LOD of your tree.

The tree appears fine in other areas though.  I'll play with the LOD and see what happens.

#4 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 02:29 AM

Hmm, I guess turn the cut out back into a regular rough spline and see what happens.

Was the tree manually planted or planted via terrain tree brush? If you really want the cut out, maybe try the manually planted tree as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users