* * * * * 1 votes

Desktop Upgrades and New Machines

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Things you need to know about your machines upgradeability.  You want to check your owners manual or visit the mfg's site
to see if the slot for a standalone video card is PCI-e or AGP. Most computers sold after 2006 have PCI-e slots.

Another important change happening for XP users is that in April of 2014 Windows Updates will stop being available. Soon following

that month, Security Software will stop supporting XP machines.  If you own Vista, Windows Updates stop in April 2017.

My advise for anyone with an XP machine would be to buy a new (Windows 7 Desktop) "online" at any reputable desktop computer
retailer (tigerdirect.com , amazon.com etc.) Windows 7 32 or 64 bit will have Windows Updates until 2020. You'll get your money's
worth from the machine. Or, you can by a "bundled kit" and find a W7 32 or 64 bit Disk. Still saving yourself hundreds of dollars.

Now the big question.  If you have searched for  (Windows 7 Desktop) at Amazon or Tigerdirect and found a 32 bit machine rather than
a 64 bit machine, "should you buy the 32 bit because it's a couple hundred dollars less?"  YES! The 32 bit systems will be very fast, provided
it has a good dual or quad core processor (dual and quad cores should be at least 2.4 GHz or higher)

The 64 bit machines were introduced nearly 10 years ago for every day consumers but there is little in the way of 64 bit software.

Future upgrades to your new 32 bit machine. There will continue to be 32 bit upgrades for at least another seven years.

Just remember this:  32 bit cannot be upgraded to 64 bit with the hopes of keeping your programs intact.
If you have  multi core processors they will more than likely accommodate a full version 64 bit operating system.

Lastly.  If you want to upgrade a 32 bit Windows OS to a 64 bit you must have dual or quad core processors to do so. You
must also buy a Full Version of Windows 64 Operating System and do a clean (new) install of the new Operating System.
Once you are connected to the Internet Windows Updates may see several of your devices e.g. Webcams, Mice, Keyboards,
Printers, Video Cards, IDE Adapters Scanners, Ethernet Cards etc., those drivers will generally work just fine.

Before installing a 64 bit OS on your computer visit the mfg's site and look for Ethernet Drivers for the 64 bit version
of your operating System. That's most important because you obviously need to be connected to the Internet to find
any other drivers that may not exists at Windows Updates but do exist at the mfg's site. Again, you need the Model# or
(Tag# - Part#) of your computer. Once you find the page with all the specs on your computer you can download the
driver or drivers you will need for the 64 bit and save them to a Flash Drive or CD. After your new system is installed
you can easily install the driver for the Ethernet Card and off you go to the Internet for all other updates and downloads.

Example of mfg's site with all the downloads necessary for an Acer Veriton M410 5000

• FixAmer1st likes this

#2 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:43 AM

I'd prefer a 64bit OS in a new mashine. Just bacause of the RAM. 32bit OS can only handle around 3,5GB of RAM. Most new mashines (at least here in Germany) come with 8GB RAM. So why having 4 GB RAM unused? ;) 64bit OS can handle way more RAM (Windows 7 ultimate 64bit = 192GB RAM)

I agree to the rest of the post, just wanted to add the RAM point which may be important for a smooth running system.

• Carnoustie likes this

Who cares...

#3 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

@FG  I understand what you are saying but Links 2003 and Tiger Woods 2008 players only needed the system requirements
that I have posted below. I doubt very much that PerfectGolf will be much more demanding than Tiger Woods 2008. Even if it
is more demanding, the upgrades I have mentioned above on a 32 Bit system will play the game as well as a 64 Bit system.

System Requirements for Links 2003

Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
Pentium 400MHz
64MB RAM Windows 98/ME
128MB RAM Windows 2000/XP
390MB Hard Disk Space
16MB 3D Video Card
Sound Card
128MB RAM
950MB Additional Hard Disk Space
32MB 3D Video Card

System Requirements for Tiger Woods 2008

Windows XP/Vista
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 2.4 GHz or Equivalent
Memory: 1 GB
Hard Drive: 3 GB Free
Video Memory: 128 MB (GeForce 6800/ATI Radeon X800)
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0cDVD Rom Drive (8X) 

#4 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

My point being that even though some of us have modern machines with tons of Memory and powerful Video Cards,
people who like to play Golf Games (ONLY) will never need a super-computer to enjoy their golfing experience. They
just need 2 to 3 GB of RAM and a decent Video Card/Power Supply on their 32 Bit systems.

I recommend 4GB of RAM for anyone with a 32 Bit system. Though 32 Bit systems only see 3.5MB of that RAM that
will be plenty of RAM as long as they have a Standalone Video Card with 512MB of Memory and a matching or better
Power Supply. (as mentioned in my original post)

The only advantage to having a 64 Bit System with 8, 16, 32, 64 etc. Gigabytes of Memory is for multi-tasking. I doubt
any golfer is going to have several major programs open during their golf experience. Even with 32 Bit systems using
Skype, Ventrilo (Voip - voice over IP), sending/receiving email and other multi-tasking will not experience a sluggish
machine if they have the standalone video card with the appropriate power supply.

I am inviting members with XP, Vista and W7 32 Bit Systems to join this topic and talk about your experience
with your 32 Bit Systems.

Do you get maximum visual and playing experiences from your current devices on your system?
In the past, did you upgrade your 32 Bit systems with Standalone Video Cards with better Power Supplies?

In general, relating to your PC Golf Games, what is/was your experirence with a 32 Bit System?

#5 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

Like I wrote above, I just wanted to remind this. I'm sure PG will not need more than 1 - 2 GB of RAM. On the other hand, no1 really knows what the requirements will be finally. And we all know that between minimum and maximum requirements there could be a big difference.

Also Windows OS all have a bad memory management. The more RAM you have the more RAM Windows takes for itself.

Now that I have 8GB RAM, I was able to delete the syspage file. My System had a big speedup.

Whoever only wants to shoot some balls, do Email and VoIP will be fine with any 32bit OS and between 2 and 4 GB RAM.

Who cares...

#6 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Interesting stuff chaps, hopefully I won't need to buy top end stuff.....wonder whether my Dell Zino HD will suffice? Having said tat it's running like a dog, and needs replacing...perhaps with something cheaper than I was expecting? :-)

#7 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:16 PM

Interesting stuff chaps, hopefully I won't need to buy top end stuff.....wonder whether my Dell Zino HD will suffice? Having said tat it's running like a dog, and needs replacing...perhaps with something cheaper than I was expecting? :-)

If you are happy with your computer's ability to render graphics at medium to high level with Tiger Woods Online,
World Golf Tour and Tiger Woods 2008 that's great! However, if there is lag and stutter then you would want to
upgrade your system with a Standalone Video Card and a matching Power Supply.  You have either AGP or PCI-e slots
for the card depending on how old your PC was when you first purchased it. (Desktop Computers)

Technology Chasing:  There is no need in the world to upgrade to a brand new Operating System or buy a new machine, or
even upgrade your devices UNLESS a person is terribly unhappy with their PC's performance during PC Golf. (I am always
keeping these posts related to Windows PC Golfing.

The only time you or anyone will need to upgrade to a new Windows OS is when Windows XP is no no longer supported
and Security Software is no longer available for your XP operating system. So forth and so on with Vista in 2017.

When you do get a new operating system, most all of us will recommend Windows 7 32 or 64 Bit.
Since there are no machines in walk-in retail stores with Windows 7 OSes on them, you'll want to
surf the Internet for a new W7 desktop PC or an upgrade DVD that matches your XP OS.

W7 is going fast and when XP gets really close to "no longer being supported", they will be difficult to find.

I also suggest keeping your old machine tucked away in a closet for a backup machine. Just because it's no longer
supported doesn't mean you can't use it to play games offline or even online. Make a backup of the system just in
case you pick up a bad infection. That way you can quickly copy the system image back to your hard drive.

#8 Guest_gain muscle_*

Guest_gain muscle_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hope to receive some assistance from www.perfectparallel.com if I will have any questions.

#9 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:21 AM

I'm sure they will as soon as they know all the preferences.

About graphics: Remember, that CPU and GPU should fit together. It doesn't make sense to have a middle range GPU and a out of date CPU. Same backwards. Having a middle range CPU and a out of date GPU. Each of these may slow down the other part. There are some sites on the internet which give some real good tips about those combinations. As I just have some german sites I suggest you look at google for some information such as "which GPU for which CPU" etc.

Who cares...

#10 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:18 PM

About graphics: Remember, that CPU and GPU should fit together

Not necessarily.  The GPU has it's own ability to handle the 3D/HD effects of a game. The CPU is for launching the game and editing settings
etc.  Once the game is launched the GPU takes over the video rendering.

One should not buy an expensive,  modern video card for an old machine.  Old Windows XP single core CPU/s means finding a good AGP or PCI-e card in the ATI 4000 series and the nVidia 7000 series.   This is especially true for anyone with an on-board video module.

#11 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:39 AM

They're in the job of creating products, not giving personal computer advise. You'll see the system requirements and system
recommendations but as for the information you will find in this category from myself and other tech-heads, just post your
question and we'll be happy to answer it.  PP has better things to do.  ;)

#12 fungolfer

fungolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have a listing here, maybe it helps. CPU and GPU work together and sometimes the GPU is way too fast for the CPU and reverse. So have a look at the combos in this pdf.

(The table is from one of the best german PC Magazines, so I'm sure there was an idea behind that :) )Attached File  CPU _ GPU Combinations.pdf   6.38KB   11 downloads

• Carnoustie and Keith like this

Who cares...

#13 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Good for you. ;)

#14 Carnoustie

Carnoustie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

I have a listing here, maybe it helps. CPU and GPU work together and sometimes the GPU is way too fast for the CPU and reverse. So have a look at the combos in this pdf.

(The table is from one of the best german PC Magazines, so I'm sure there was an idea behind that :) )attachicon.gifCPU _ GPU Combinations.pdf

nice chart,I think most people will find it usefull.

Intel Core i7 6770K Quad Core Skylake

Liquid Cooled

ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterblock

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200

Asus 27" ROG Swift PG278QR Quad HD G-SYNC

Samsung M2 500GB Drive

Samsung 850 SSD 1TB Drive

#15 Guest_Nemesis_*

Guest_Nemesis_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:58 AM