GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#22 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 29 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

Come on Scotty, you can do this!  :D  :D  :D

• balaceanca81 and jspirate like this

#23 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:48 PM

I think I can see what the problem is Scott, if you stopped teasing us with pictures and actually got back to work, we could all play the bloody course! 

Less tease, more speed.................... :D

It just hit me!!!

If I am a tease, maybe I shouldn't feel bad about that?  Maybe I should just go full-on and throw it all out there?1?!  Ya know what I mean?  Just be EASY and LOOSE with ALL of it?

I am thinking...  Maybe I use the interwebs (mostly this forum) to post Crow's Nest pictures not stop.  Ima post pics at every angle and some will be very revealing!!! I mean, at this point I can't really ruin my rep... Maybe its best if I just embrace it!

YEP.... get ready for some loose and nasty picture spamming!  

:D

• DPRoberts likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#24 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:34 AM

It just hit me!!!

If I am a tease, maybe I shouldn't feel bad about that?  Maybe I should just go full-on and throw it all out there?1?!  Ya know what I mean?  Just be EASY and LOOSE with ALL of it?

I am thinking...  Maybe I use the interwebs (mostly this forum) to post Crow's Nest pictures not stop.  Ima post pics at every angle and some will be very revealing!!! I mean, at this point I can't really ruin my rep... Maybe its best if I just embrace it!

YEP.... get ready for some loose and nasty picture spamming!  

:D

Scott, 

Can you put a little "hair around the holes"? My flatstick needs all the help it can get. :)

Perc

• Ian likes this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#25 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:47 PM

Well Perc, I have not seen that tool in the Course Forge package.  Maybe you can visual the shot in your mind before you hit it?  LOL

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#26 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

PG Ameteur Titleist Golf Balls

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • LocationMiami Beach, Florida

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:50 AM

A play-through of holes 5 and 6...

https://youtu.be/74coSXVLz-g

Course looks fantastic the course I made I agonized when a player may press F3 or the shot got followed because it would expose seams many of which (mesh seams) that I could not hide I need to figure out blending, and grasses, and other stuff texture editing or something but this course looks great - good Job. I am glad to know about the rocks on Hole 6 so ya simply loft it up an bounce it off the rock - not to much because of the water .... The car paths are great thats a lot of work they are not to wide just right and the greens I get picky about green breaks because I do not putt very well it looks like your greens are just right I have a problem getting them this way mine are more on the flatter side because I end up getting them to slanted great job again. some green shots I wanted it flat to the pin though if the player made a great shot .. got it close on the correct side of the pin ... glad your moving along. 

• jspirate likes this

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#27 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:05 AM

The pics are great because if we play the course many of the angles we will not see everything goes together and the "bulkhead" I think that is the term on hole 13 looks great the brick wall holding the green with the water. This course will put anyone in a great mood its like therapy. And this is a fictional mountain course the heights and lower areas all look realistic and were all made from scratch !!! from the imagination. Thanks for the links in your signature I now have a folder named jspirate courses which has all of them now wheeeee. (also went to PGLS did a search found the 3DGrass one also )  :ph34r:  According to my records his first course was published right at about 2 years ago around July 2nd, 2018. Bradford Links  B)

• jspirate likes this

Little known fact when King Arthur was trying to make a golf course and he ran into some conflict. King Arthur: There's a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that war should come I will fight it!    Other important fact. Read the Book of John in the Holy Bible. 

#28 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:56 AM

Now I'm happy I downloaded Bradford Links 

here is my first shot off the tee  >>>> https://youtu.be/XZjymJuqTWo

Then on the next hole I said, "Look at that if I thread it betwixt the sandies it may roll onto the green" - What a fantastic hole ... !!!  I banged it into the left trap :angry: and ended up with a bogey  :mellow:

Then I got mad and restarted the course thinking I am not going to play a course that looks this good all pissed off. At first I was thinking when I landed in the trap wow I got to play this course again some time and this is on the 2nd hole then after the bogey .... 

So now we are here after the redo 

50102885681_d0e6d829e3_o.jpgbradford replay by Jim Smyth, on Flickr

so ..... now I'm happy - I do play on Amateur level though so I usually get under par on any course the reason I go on Amateur is because, well,  check the video again and check the bunker shot at hole 2 these things can happen at ANY given moment so I had to tweak it. My bogeys and birdies are usually about even then I squeak by with a -2 for any 18 hole course. 

• jspirate likes this

#29 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

No, No, No, No, No, No, NO! Please stop distracting him. He's so easily led astray. A cold beer, a pretty girl, actually ANYTHING will do it. We want, nay Sir, we demand,  that you finish the course, or we will be left with little choice but to send in the alcohol and drug squad. Ah ha, see, now you're taking it seriously Scott!  :P  :D

• jspirate likes this

#30 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

Then I got mad and restarted the course thinking I am not going to play a course that looks this good all pissed off. At first I was thinking when I landed in the trap wow I got to play this course again some time and this is on the 2nd hole then after the bogey .... 

Bradford was my first course and after I completed it I decided that my next fictional course wouldn't start out with such a difficult drive.  I like the hole, but it puts alot of pressure on your first shot of the day.  Live and learn...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#31 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:48 PM

I am glad to know about the rocks on Hole 6 so ya simply loft it up an bounce it off the rock - not to much because of the water

Well, the goal is to miss the rock, but I didn't do that in the video LOL

• Ian likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#32 J.H.Buchanan

J.H.Buchanan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 07:32 PM

Bradford was my first course and after I completed it I decided that my next fictional course wouldn't start out with such a difficult drive.  I like the hole, but it puts alot of pressure on your first shot of the day.  Live and learn...

somewhere somehow I heard that when making a course the 1st hole should be relatively easy this lines up with my google research:

https://www.golfadvi...nt-to-be-broken

There first statement is 

Rule 1: The first hole should always be a “gentle handshake” that eases players into the round

What is so hilarious is when I played that first hole I didn't even look at the water I just looked at the fairway and how it bends right and how far I need to go to be beyond the trees then I hit it and I'm thinking what's that shiney stuff ... oh its water .... wheeeee 

• jspirate likes this

#33 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

somewhere somehow I heard that when making a course the 1st hole should be relatively easy this lines up with my google research:

https://www.golfadvi...nt-to-be-broken

There first statement is 

Rule 1: The first hole should always be a “gentle handshake” that eases players into the round

What is so hilarious is when I played that first hole I didn't even look at the water I just looked at the fairway and how it bends left and how far I need to go to be beyond the trees then I hit it and I'm thinking what's that shiney stuff ... oh its water .... wheeeee 

I am good with all the rules except rule 3:

Rule 3: The 18th hole should be challenging, in order to settle bets

I don't play real golf anymore, but when I did I played 2 - 3 times a week.  In my opinion, a tough 18 does nothing for a round.  If you have a good round round going, it can have you ending on a bad note.  If you have a bad round going, you don't have an legit chance of cleaning it up tad.  Either way, you dread the end of the round.  In my opinion, that doesn't help the fun of the game. 

Other than that, I wish I had the list in front of me before I released Bradford.  Unfortunately, my son deleted my unity files for Bradford by accident when I gave him my computer.  So... Bradford will remain as is!

• J.H.Buchanan likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#34 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 22 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Most people don't play from the back tees and surely the championship tees so even a course like Hazeltine is a good fun golf round from the white (member) tees. But unlike most golf games PC or Console not many of us can hit a golfball with a Driver more than 275 so we don't need a tough test. I really hate the fact that all these golf games you can hit 300 yards with ease.

Be nice if they could put out a patch to tone down the driver distance. Not possible though.
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#35 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:44 PM

Soooooo, I have to admit that I am near the end of the 26 mile marathon and I can almost see the finish line.  I contemplate finishing, but I can't seem to get there  :wacko:

Anyway, I did accomplish a new milestone that is noteworthy (maybe just to those who design).

The long-story-short is that there are a heck of alot of trees on this course:

i-RQGNN36-X3.jpg

i-rLD42cp.jpg

• SReesor and DPRoberts like this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#36 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

Ok, OK, OK... for all you Perfect Golfers, there is nothing to see in this post - sorry.  For you Course Forgers, maybe there is something to see here.

Today, I decided to run a test to see if all of my hard work to preserve frame rates was worth it.  In short, it was absolutely worth it!  The screen shots below will help illustrate.

Note: This is the worst view on the course because it looks across the longest cross section of the terrain and sees the most golf holes.  So, all the draw calls just add up.

Pic 1 (lots of 2 plane trees in 4 meshes, 64K per mesh).  This is what it looks like in Unity when all 31,760 trees are combined into 4 meshes:

i-ffg8vRd-X3.jpg

Pic 2 - 17 fps: without the meshes combined.  This is as if all the trees were just in the scene and not combined into the 4 meshes.  Simplified for perspective, 4 draw calls vs 31,760 4 draw calls:

i-LCSq6p6-X3.jpg

Pic 3 - 44 fps:  draw calls reduced due to 4 meshes of about 64k each as opposed to calling all 31,760 trees individually

i-DPTCdJr-X3.jpg

While this is good news, there is a draw back.  The course file size is close to 400 mb and there are no houses, no club house and really no structures.  There is no free lunch in Unity, so as a designer you have to decide what you want (at least when it comes to mesh combines).  I will say that I have at least 15 other mesh combines in this build.  So, maybe the happy medium is to not have so many mesh combines... that way you can add other stuff like structures.

Anyway, I gained 27 fps and I think that's a decent outcome even if it does take a little extra effort.

• Birdie and DPRoberts like this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#37 Stingreye

Stingreye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:03 AM

I for one vote for bigger file size and more fps. Good trade off and storage is getting cheaper.
  • jspirate likes this

#38 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:43 PM

Wheeeeee~, all 18 holes of Crow's Nest are in!

Over the next 2 weeks I am going to try to finish up some miscellaneous stuff and then put it out as a non-3DG beta.  I will not start the 3DG version until it gets some more significant play time.

In the mean time, I will continue my spamming ways with a few pics of hole 18:

i-M7XvqLP.jpg

i-cjZvCh9.jpg

i-3bq5wk3.jpg

• Mike Jones, yesrushdt, Keith and 3 others like this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

#39 vainte

vainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:35 AM

Really excited to play this. love courses with plenty of white knuckle strategies.

Thanks for all your hard work Scott!

• jspirate likes this

#40 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 03:26 PM

Really excited to play this. love courses with plenty of white knuckle strategies.

Thanks for all your hard work Scott!

Its not really that hard, but the elevation changes do throw you for a loop.  Its one of those courses that is alot easier the second time you play it as compared to the first.  I guess a lot of courses are like that though.

Anyway, if you are on your game a low score is not hard to come by.  There is a drive-able par 4 and all the 5's are reachable in 2 unless the wind is straight in your face.  There are four par 5's and for Par 3's.  I don't think I've ever shot above par on it, but I have a couple rounds where I was working for those pars.

One note.... this is my first course where I really feel like the HARD pins are genuinely harder than the medium and easy pins.  I would recommend leaving the hard pins alone for the first time playing it.

After re-reading what I just wrote above, it sounds just like all the other courses out there LOL

• balaceanca81 likes this

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
LG 32GK850G

Courses:

Ironwood - released

Crow's Nest - released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users