• 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 16 April 2020 - 03:25 AM

I found this...

Virtual Regatta Offshore. 

Sail a maxi yacht across the oceans.

Real Time weather (sort of)

Start any time during race period.

Location, time, speed, heading etc. in real time.

Race against 30,000 plus sailors.

Advice on sails, heading etc. if needed.

Auto pilot while you sleep.

Free to play.

Solid graphics on low end machine.

3D (looks good) and map view.

My first race was from LA to Honolulu. It took me 6 days 11 hours to complete the course coming 6,296th out of around 44,000 entrants. It was quite exciting nearing the finish line. Perfect game for long isolation.

You only really have to check on your boat occasionally to set a new heading depending on winds. The wind direction for the entire trip is shown effectively on a map and you can check forecasts (of wind streams) up to days in advance to catch favourable winds and set waypoints if you like.

Next race starts in a little over 3 days. From France to St Barths in the Carribean with a landfall somewhere down the West coast of Africa.

I found it very enjoyable.

Cpt. Rollo Greb (Australia) out.

VRO-1.png

VRO-2.png

VRO-3.png

#2 JCat04

JCat04

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • LocationRock Hill, SC

Posted 16 April 2020 - 03:44 PM

That looks pretty cool.  I'm not much a sailor, but this is something I'd be willing to try.  Thanks for the tip!

Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz 
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

#3 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 03:51 PM

Great Link!

I will have to give this a try. I got really into a PC game called Sail 95 by vivid simulations, way back when. It was very much an early version of this built around the excitement for the Americas cup at a time

#4 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 09:00 PM

I started my attempt days after the race had commenced. There was only one or two boats on the water at that time and they were nowhere near me. I'm not sure if you see other boats near you when there are big numbers although you get a virtual visual indicator of the position of competitors in the 3D view even though they would be out of sight in reality. You will see many other boats in map view. There are no visuals of landmass.

But when I was in the mood I would sit on deck with some music (and things) and just get into the vibe.

There is also 'Virtual Regatta Inshore' for short course racing but you have to know your road rules. I used to sail on Sydney Harbour in a 20' Hood with my wife as crew. A terrifying, white knuckle experience on weekends for this novice. I gave way to everybody.  

They have around the world events which can take 3 months or more. Great to get away from it all. Check out the movie 'Mercy' with Colin Firth for dealing with solo insanity.

#5 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 11:32 AM

3890 miles - France to the Carribean. Starts 19 April, 11am UTC

It should take two weeks or so.

I can't wait!

#6 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:07 AM

Two hours till race start.

Last minute preparations underway. Got my new Reaching Sail stored way and had the hull polished yesterday.

Kissed Crystal goodbye for the last time for two weeks. (She seemed strangely happy.)

Very excited.

#7 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 05:31 AM

vro5.png

100 nautical miles in.

You can see the other yachts during the race.

I dogged this bloke for an hour during the night trying to outsail him.

The positional updates are a bit dodgy but at this stage it doesn't matter. I've got other things to worry about - big low off Spain.

Plenty of time to get underway if anyone's interested.

• Buck likes this

#8 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:06 AM

i've gone for a westerly route, missed the start by about 4 hours so had the wrong sails up :(

Think I might catch some stronger winds over next 24 hours...like i know what i'm doing, lol!

• Ted_Ball likes this

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#9 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:37 AM

It might be a good move going out into the Atlantic Affo. I took that sourtherly into the Bay of Biscay. It seemed a better wind at the start. It wasn't that strong but it was a good option for a few days. Now I'm not so sure.

There's 30 knot winds coming around west of that low off the north of Portugal I'd like to pick up and it looks like it will hang around for a while.

That will take you straight down to Las Palmas off your beam (Listen to me. I'm making it up as I go.) Las Palmas is an island off North Africa which acts as a rounding mark. That'll be interesting.

I bought a set of reaching sails which I'm looking forward to putting up - but not till after Las Palmas. I'll hoot along then, god willing.

No-one seems to know where to go at the moment btw.

#10 Affo

Affo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast, UK

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:30 PM

The only bit of that I understood Ted was about Las Palmas as I have been there :) The rest you could have been reciting anything, lmao...but a bit of fun nonetheless.

https://www.youtube....NUPOrdgs0U6nODQ

http://affo1.emyspot.com/ for JNPG stats from OGT and PGLS

MSI Apache Pro GE62 2QF, i7 5700HQ, 16GB DDR, GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5, 1 TB HDD 7200rpm, 128GB SSD

Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2GHz, 16GB DDR, GTX 1060 6GB

#11 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:55 PM

My philosophy is 'if you can't be a sailor at least sound like one'.

That low off Portugal is going to fizzle out within a day or so. 30+ knot winds would have been fun. These boats are a smaller class than the maxi in my first race. It's going to be a slow voyage though. Maybe 3 weeks. Hang in there. lol

There's a button that looks like a lock. If you unlock it you will sail in a straight line (good for set and forget). Locked will keep changing your heading based on wind direction. In other words - if the wind is 168 deg from port side the boat will swing around to always keep it there. You could run aground while you're away having a life. 

lock.png

• Affo likes this

#12 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:19 PM

My oldest brother fancies himself a sailor(has at least 2 day sailors in his yard in various degrees of seaworthiness).I know he follows the Volvo race so I sent him the link.He already knew about it of course.

• Ted_Ball likes this

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users