10 replies to this topic

#1 jamie_gates

jamie_gates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:36 AM

is it possible to have basic reflective windows on a building? if so how. I'm building a clubhouse and it has a fair amount of windows and frankly it will look pretty rubbish without some form of reflection. I know how to do it in my 3d app (3ds max) but when imported into unity it doesn't work.

cheers

#2 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:12 AM

You can do this with reflection probes. Have them on my windows too. Maybe give Google or yt a try for a start. Tonight after work I'll try to post a screen how I have mine setup.

#3 jamie_gates

jamie_gates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:19 AM

ok, i'll have a looksie

thankyou

#4 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

2US1MtV.jpg

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Texture must be Black, then change shader in Unity 

Specular color is also black as in pic.

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#5 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 09:39 AM

Maybe first try NoPutt's suggestion. Looks a bit more straight forward than what I was setting up.😊 At least afaicr as it's been some time.

#6 jamie_gates

jamie_gates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

after some mucking around, finally got refelctive windows, many thanks. is there a way to get this effect with a reflection probeas opposed to a cubemap? or would this knacker my FPS? or can anybody point me towards a way of creating cubemaps of my actual course so the refelctions are correct. I've got a script called render camera to cubemap, but frankly just getting the script showing up is way way beyond my pay grade. no real idea of how to work it? if anybody has a better way, i'm all ears

#7 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

With the probes you can reflect the actual surroundings and maybe bake them and define what or how far and so on. Maybe with the correct cubemap NoPutt's option would do the same but I haven't tried this way afaicr. I will have a look later how I did setup mine and post it.

#8 NoPutt

NoPutt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:47 PM

This works great and is quite easy. 

I used it on The Ace Club course....Check Out The Enviroment Reflections at bottom too.

https://lmhpoly.com/...bemap-in-unity/

Dry Gulch...................Released                     Smithfield Golf Club...........Released

Millstone Golf Club....Released                      The Walker Course............Released

Kingsmill Woods Course...Released               Pine Lake Golf Club..........Released

Woodhaven Golf Club (9) Released                The Reserve at Keowee...Released

Cliffs at Keowee Vineyards..Released              The Ace Club...................Released

Dry Gulch 2..........Released                               Blackberry Oaks.............Released

#9 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:56 PM

Jamie, i had a look at my refelection probes. I have to say i'm happy if i don't have to touch them anymore. I remember in the beginning they sometimes were gone after a course build and it was a mess to get them back. I simply wasn't always sure about every setting, type or how to store them or whatever. So since i had them working i never touched them again. Even now not all are showing correctly but for the moment i don't care. It was a lott of trial and error.

Anyway here are two screens at least with my settings and a yt video i remember which helped me to get started. Behind/in my window "frames" i placed a plane with a standard material. And then i had to move and scale the bounding box of the probe so the reflection is only at the window. I had to move the box really deep inside the plane. I think in the beginning i used realtime but later baked them as it somehow was more stable.

Don't know if it's of any help. Others can probably explain it much better...

Plane in the window selected...

J6GNe6l.jpg

Probe with cubemap selcted; box visible...

xppaQ8W.jpg

Video which hopefully may help even if in Turkish...

#10 Birdie

Birdie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:01 PM

Just see the post from NoPutt. I think i also followed the video he showed. At least i just see i have this script mentioned in my editor folder.

#11 jamie_gates

jamie_gates

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

easy when you know how, many thanks NoPutt and birdie for the help too. the first of many queries

Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users