2 replies to this topic

#1 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 07:14 AM

I'm dipping my foot into terrain overlay.  I'd already started a project with the overlay image painted on.  I downloaded some more recent imagery and selected that image for the terrain controller - nothing changed.  I had to add the more recent image as a texture and repainted the map.  I thought the terrain controller was like the base layer of the map.  If it's not - what is it?

#2 DPRoberts

DPRoberts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

The terrain controller will provide the base color for any CF layer with the Texture 1 slot with the tile setting at 0.

Start experiment with your rough layer. (I'm assuming you're using custom CF layers in the Layers Library) and set the tiling value of the Texture 1 slot (top left square) to 0 and recalculate a rough spline.

You should notice the base coloring of that mesh comes from the terrain controller.

The terrain painting that you've done actually has nothing to do with the coloring of the meshes. However, it allows you to "know" where to outline your splines because if set up correctly the "painted terrain" will exactly match the texture coloring that shows on the meshes.

Just go randomly outline a section of the course with a rough spline. Travel over a bunker and through some rough with it. Recalculate that spline and you'll understand what's happening.

You can even then paint the terrain a different color under the spline and notice it doesn't impact how the mesh is colored.

#3 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Thank you, the answer was in a tutorial video, I just didn't get that far, but this explains it even more.  Making good progress on Royal Worlington.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users