8 replies to this topic

#1 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:57 AM

I, hope everyone is still enjoying PG. I know I do. I play it every day. But there is something I wanted to ask. Is there a way to do a "Bump and Run" shot like you can in real life? I have had many situations where that type of shot would have come in real handy, like under trees.

#2 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:09 AM

I use anything between a 5 iron to a 3 wood for shots of 90 plus yards. The problem is that if you try, as an example, a PW pitch, usually the power loss kills any real distance and even with the blue ball all the way down, it still goes too high for hitting under tree branches.

You would assume that the best clubs would be the rescue ones, but unfortunately they get worse power loss percentages than the woods, so are basically only there for show.

The other thing to remember is that the physics is wrong on long running shots. Even on H/H settings, a wood hit with the blue ball all the way down will still inexplicably "grab" after a few bounces.

I'd recommend playing in practice mode, dropping your ball in nasty places and trying out a few different types of shots.

#3 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:49 PM

Thanks Ian. Indeed, I did notice that a ball which obviously should have run to the bottom of a steep hill does not. 

#4 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:36 PM

Yes I have noticed this also... on all the clubs.  Even a low driver off the tee will check relative a high driver.  It can be used to great advantage on some tee shots, but for the most part its just seems out of place on the driver, 3w, 5w etc...

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

#5 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:50 AM

Hum.That gives me an idea. I wonder what a driver on the deck would do in terms of a bump and run? 

#6 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 07:27 PM

I found that using the Driver on the deck works perfectly for shooting a low short shot to get under trees. You can't use more than 2 - 3 marks on the cursor thing and you have to be quick but it works. The actual distance travels has to for me at least be figured out by feel. 

#7 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:02 PM

I find the biggest problem with using a driver is the power loss. It's often 60-80% and the ball goes nowhere.  

#8 Pappy

Pappy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • LocationRancho Cordova, California

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:11 PM

I find the biggest problem with using a driver is the power loss. It's often 60-80% and the ball goes nowhere.

I use a punched 7W- works great in most cases where you have to go low (under branches mostly).

THOUGHT: Most plan for their Vacation - but most do not plan for their Eternity!

Video       Introduction       My YouTube      The Return

#9 jspirate

jspirate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:01 PM

My favorite is the 5W.  Mostly because I've used it more for punch shots than any the other club.

i7-8700K
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS Pro
64 GB DDR4 3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
LG 32GK850G
Win 10 Home Premium on 1TB SSD

Courses:

Bradford Links - released

Ironwood - released

Cypress Landing - released (also available in a 3DG version)

Crow's Nest - released

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users