#1 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts
  • LocationSurfside Beach SC

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:19 AM

Today I found something out about this game and felt it's worth sharing. First off I played two rounds today and Sam problem with putting where no matter what I do when I draw back the putter the line is always right at the bottom and right or straight at the top and my ball never rolls true and I never can play for enough break. Now I use a stock Xbox One and decided it was time to break out some other controllers and do some testing on the practice green. I tried a 3rd party Xbox One and Xbox 360 and no matter what I did my info showed a straight line and no deviation left or right constantly and that is what I expected as that's why they are 3rd party. So next I breakout stock Xbox 360 expecting lots of left or right and go surprise it also was so a straight line constantly and now I am confused. So I gather all the controllers up and even my extra Xbox One stock controller to have two stock in front of me. I noticed with the stock XB one there was more play left and right in both so I realized at that point because the others were not like that that could be the issue. So back to the practice green with the stock Xbox one and I found out if you gently press the stick to the left and not hard gently and then draw the putter back you then start getting consistent straighter lines on the backswing and start making more putts. Now I am beginning to understand why the only controllers that are passing the TGCC test are the Stock Xbox One and PS4 controller but why. Well first off the game was designed for console and it makes sense they would build around those controllers and for PC the Xbox One is now the preferred and only real new stock controller that's not 3rd party. But why the Xbox 360 was failing is now obvious as it's old and was never optimized for this game and that's plane as day. It's my opinion that these should be the only two to be allowed in the game but hey that's just me but that straight line on the putting backswing is a huge advantage. I welcome thoughts on this and I hope the tip on the Xbox One helps.

#2 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:27 AM

That's not what my xbox 360 controller is reporting, and most 360's are totally fine ( see pic ) yes you can hit unbroken lines when putting now and then but you don't with irons or woods.  The unbroken line when putting has always been part of TGC since the first game no matter what controller you use.  Most of my putts are slightly pushed to the right.   I have posted in TGCT regarding 360 controllers and have been informed that they have had a problem with a couple, most have been fine.  

Here someone asked about a wired 360...

mNQn6gN.jpg

How battered is your 360? they can go either way once badly worn, if they develop a drift they can play harder, or they can just become dull and less responsive.

My 360 is pretty much like new, been in a drawer for 8 years, my other one just started drifting bad.

Just to add... you say your putt line going back is to the right,  this will have no effect on your putt as the back swing plays no part, it's all about the down swing in this game.  I can pull back on the putter and purposely bring it far right or left, as long as the down stroke is straight, the putt will be straight.

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#3 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:12 PM

DoGgz yes the backswing is right and the downswing is also right and even when got are straight they art not on the line. If I put a little pressure to the left then they are on the line but I have to do that to make it work or the putt will not be on line. Not knocking on the 360 controller as I really believe it's the best ever for PC gaming. I will also say this a third party controller is not as responsive and controllable for partial shots as a stock controller and the timing still has to be right. The third party tho is huge advantage for putting but again I can play better with stock Xbox One or 360 than third party just not putt as well but new trick of left pressure could change that.

#4 scrambler

scrambler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:26 PM

Have you tried going into steam setting and calibrate the controller?

• Tigers Agent and Greensboronclion like this

#5 Tigers Agent

Tigers Agent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationNext Door.

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:52 PM

Have you tried going into steam setting and calibrate the controller?

that's some straight up advice.

• Greensboronclion and DoGgs like this

#6 DoGgs

DoGgs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,688 posts
  • Locationcaerphilly

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:20 PM

DoGgz yes the backswing is right and the downswing is also right and even when got are straight they art not on the line. If I put a little pressure to the left then they are on the line but I have to do that to make it work or the putt will not be on line. Not knocking on the 360 controller as I really believe it's the best ever for PC gaming. I will also say this a third party controller is not as responsive and controllable for partial shots as a stock controller and the timing still has to be right. The third party tho is huge advantage for putting but again I can play better with stock Xbox One or 360 than third party just not putt as well but new trick of left pressure could change that.

Sounds like you may have a bit of drift on that pad, sounds similar to my putting actually.  I always seem to push to the right at the end of the putt line, i can cure it with a slightly forceful down stroke but i forget sometimes, just cost me to shots at chambers in the society event, How difficult is that btw...wow!  i went -6 round 1 and pulled off some amazing putts.  2nd round i went +3 ( lost my timing a bit )  currently evs after 2 in R3  -3 for the championship...really good test fairplay.

• Greensboronclion likes this

Qaaa8vE.jpg

#7 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:17 PM

Sounds like you may have a bit of drift on that pad, sounds similar to my putting actually.  I always seem to push to the right at the end of the putt line, i can cure it with a slightly forceful down stroke but i forget sometimes, just cost me to shots at chambers in the society event, How difficult is that btw...wow!  i went -6 round 1 and pulled off some amazing putts.  2nd round i went +3 ( lost my timing a bit )  currently evs after 2 in R3  -3 for the championship...really good test fairplay.

Chambers Bay just ate my lunch in round one and again round two but at least 5 better. Very difficult course for a hacker like me and a real challenge but putting was at least better. Yes I think I have a drift but the slight left pressure seems to have fixed it.

#8 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:27 PM

Also remember Windows has a calibration for game controllers as well. Not sure what exactly has the final say between Windows, Steam & the game itself or if what the Windows calibration has is the base and everything else works off that.

sam

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#9 Greensboronclion

Greensboronclion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,508 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

Well I calibrated my controller thru Steam this morning and much better now that I have done it. I had a drift for sure and that took car of that problem. Thanks for the tip and it was much appreciated.
  • scrambler likes this

#10 Hokodah

Hokodah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Scajjr29, how do you calibrate the controller in windows?

#11 scajjr29

scajjr29

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

Scajjr29, how do you calibrate the controller in windows?

Control Panel-Devices & Printers-R click on your controller-click on Properties-Advanced. Then you have 2 tabs one where you can test everything and you can run the Calibrate from the other.

sam

Desktop- MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro cooler, 32Gb DDR4-3600, ASUS 6900XT LC Hybrid, Corsair MP600 1Tb PCIe 4 NVMe (x 2), 850 EVO 1Tb, Corsair 750Gb SSDs & Hitachi 3Tb HDD ,EVGA 1000PG PSU,Monoprice 27772 32" 4K HDR monitor x2,Windows 10 Pro x64, Salient Arch Linux

Laptop- Eluktronics (Clevo) P670RS-G  i7-6700HQ, 32Gb DDR4, 512Gb & 256Gb NVMe SSDs, GTX 1070 8Gb graphics, 17.3" 1080p G-Sync, Win 10 Pro x64,

XBox One X 1Tb w/2Tb external HDD, PS4 Pro 1Tb w/1Tb external HDD

#12 Hokodah

Hokodah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:21 AM

Thanks for the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users