7 replies to this topic

#1 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:52 PM

Hi. Here is what I am trying to do. I have created a .jpg file that has the outline of exactly how I want my course layed out. My question is how do I use it? I tried putting the image (Black lines on white background) in the small box in the Terrain Controler hoping it would just pop up and I could stare making splines. But nothing happens when I do that. Any suggestions on how to get a guild overlay?

Calvin De Beverly

#2 Larrykuh

Larrykuh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:26 PM

To do it correctly, you need to request that myself or Justin create a heightmap for you using Lidar. You need to provide the name of the course and the address. What you will get if Lidar is available is the terrain elevations and the correct overlay .

#3 RobC

RobC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • LocationSouthampton England

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:57 AM

Put the image in the 1st slot of your textures in the paint terrain section

#4 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:10 PM

Thank you Larrykuh for the offer. I know it must take some time and effort to create a heightmap. But I am creating my own courses and the height map will be created simply by my own contouring of the terrain. Hopefully I will create a devilishly difficult course with many traps. LOL

I am sure RobC has supplied the answer and I will look into that. I am not exactly familiar with where the 1st slot of my textures is nor the paint terrain section. But I am confident with enough clicking I will find it. I truly believe that all computer problems can be solved by more clicking and frequent restarts. Haha.

Thank you for your responses.

Calvin De Beverly

#5 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hi Calvin

As long as you scaled your course layout evenly you can try doing what DP shows in this video. Instead of scaling individual holes you should be able to scale your whole course layout. If not then you would have to crop out each individual hole from your layout and scale it.

If you want send me the JPEG of your layout with the yardage for a couple of the holes and I can try doing it for you.

Justin

I couldn't find the original post. I'm sure DP posted a link for that grid. But you can probably get away without it. Or maybe DP will see the post and post a link for that grid if he still has it

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#6 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:50 PM

Thank you Justin9926. I will check that out. However I just made the size of my layout map the same dimensions as the terrain and it all looks great. If there is a yardage problem I am pretty sure I can just adjust the original layout. With a little trial and error I can bring it together. And the layout works prefectly by adding it as a texture to the terrain as RobC pointed out.

I do have one other question as long as I am at it. And that, and this may seem wild, is it possible to change the physics of the ball flight to adjust for lower gravity? This may not even be possible but it would save a lot of time for me to know up front that you can't do that. I am thinking of a golf course on planet Mars. Seriously.

By the way, anyone got a height map of Mars? LOLOLO, just kidding.

Calvin De Beverly

P.S. I watched the above video and it was very interesting. I can see many many uses for that grid technique.

#7 Justin9926

Justin9926

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 08:27 PM

The only thing you can really do is adjust the elevation. The higher the elevation the further the ball will travel. Setting it below sea level would make the driver go shorter. Highfade did a course and set the elevation to-1600 m. By doing that the driver will only go roughly 250 yards if I recall right. The course was Aloeridge ama which was pretty neat to shoot. Instead of having to club down because of altitude you are having to jump up one or two clubs.

• Stingreye likes this

Asus ROG G751JT-CH71 Gaming Laptop

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7– 4710HQ

Nvidia GTX 970M 3GB GDDR5

16 GB DDR3

Windows 10 64-bit

#8 calvin_de_beverly

calvin_de_beverly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 October 2020 - 09:07 PM

I see.  I will give that a try on a small one hole test course. Might be the effect I want. Of course I could make the course on the Moon in which case the only club you would need would be the putter. LOL

Calvin De Beverly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users