#1 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 21 December 2021 - 05:48 AM

I'm enjoying PG again after a four year break.

I thought I would resurrect the ancient Ted Ball Challenges run on the forum that I started many years ago (before leagues crashed my party). 

Anyway, this is for people who like a new challenge. 

The challenge is to play the way I do. Follow these rules and see how you go.

1.  RTMS     Either horizontal or vertical.

2.  Amateur difficulty.  

3.  No grids. NO GRIDS.  (You can use the stick thingy on the greens but without the slope indicator. (I forget how to remove the slope part. Any suggestions?)

RTMS is a thing of beauty and at Amateur there is enough natural variation in flight paths to make scoring just that bit harder. Putting without the slope indicator means you have to actually read the green. The graphics and other guides (e.g. watching the roll out etc.) gives you enough info to provide a realistic experience. You'll sink short putts and you'll make some 10 footers and you'll go close at 20 foot and you'll miss most of the time longer than that. Perfect. By all means use the Free Cam and so on. I just read from default and find it good enough for 24 to 34 putts per round.

Gimmes are at 4 foot. Stimp 12. Realistic greens. Strong Breeze to make you think a bit. What a great golf game this is.

If you want a casual but challenging experience download any or all of these recordings...

Cape Kidnappers  2020  (by Dropzone 73)   vs  Ted Ball

Bonville Resort  (by Unique)   vs   Greg Norman

Whistling Straits   (by Tekbud)    vs   Seve Ballesteros

Pebble Beach  US Open   (by  Matthew Rose)    vs   Tiger Woods

Chambers Bay   (by highfade)   vs   Jason  Day

Bayonne GC   (by Justin9926)   vs   Tom Watson

The Old Course   ( by RobC )   vs   Nick Faldo

Aloe Ridge   ( by highfade )   vs   Lee Trevino

Ballyneal   ( jcolton31 )   vs   Billy Dunk

Florida Glades   ( Perfect Parallel )   vs   Billy  Dunk

Chicago Oaks   ( Perfect Parallel )   vs   Billy  Dunk

Have fun and cheers,

Signed Ted Ball (whistling in the wind)

• Mulligan and RobV like this

#2 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 05:32 AM

And another thing...

Play from 'Player' view. It makes it seem like a sim. I like the 'look up, look, down, look up' as the ball flies to the pin. Use the 'Follow' replay to have your fun (and check out green slopes).  Come on guys. Toy golf is finished.

I'm having no luck beating my opening 75. It's a tough little course even with strong breeze. Amateur is no walk in the park.

#3 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 08:52 AM

I notice I didn't mention...

For anyone who didn't realise - the MEGA.nz file is a replay.

I eventually beat that bloke with a 73. Eagled the 16th. Had 33 putts. Great course Dropzone.

Anyway, that'll do for Kidnappers. I'll try to find another beautiful and challenging track for the next challenge. Any ideas?

#4 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:42 AM

Keeping the RTMSAC down under we go to beautiful Bonville Golf Resort on the Coffs Coast of NSW.

Play against Greg Norman and wipe that supercilious, arrogant smirk of his tone-deaf face. Watch out - he putted well did our Gregory.

It was a bit tough on the old Lenovo that track but with RTMS, IT DOESN"T MATTER !!!!

File uploaded to MEGA.nz.  Have fun (and stick to the rules).

#5 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

Just curious Ted, in the name of a serious challenge, how do you justify 4 foot gimmies? There are a few guys at PGLS that are trying to put together a group of RTSM players in case you are interested.

• maxie likes this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#6 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 04:38 PM

To save time - especially when you're playing against a recording. Let's just assume we can all sink 4 footers. (I'm not sure my thing is serious.)

I am interested that PGLS guys are trying to make that happen. I doubt they would consider no grids though. (Or exclusively Amateur.)

#7 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:16 AM

Im intrested sounds great 4 ft gimmies i agree with Perc ive missed many on RTS-M

#8 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:29 AM

...ive missed many on RTS-M

OK maxie. No gimmes and I'll play you for $100 a hole.

#9 Perculator

Perculator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:59 PM

Have you guys seen this?

https://www.yahoo.co...-171537447.html

• Buck likes this

i5-4670K | GeForce GTX 970 4GB | 16GB DDR3 RAM | Windows 10 64 bit.

#10 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:24 PM

Have you guys seen this?

https://www.yahoo.co...-171537447.html

Yes!    Its paired with the Links E6 software available free on Steam!    Played it a few times, but I would imagine playing the game would be better with the Sim, instead of clicking...  E6 is actually pretty good! 

Edit:  Sorry to derail the thread, Ted.   4ft gimmies are just fine.  When I used to play online with others, the cringe of waiting for someone to line up, figure out the break, distance, touch, was worse than watching paint dry.  Even less than 4ft... was terrible.   In a fun challenge like what Ted is proposing is all about fun...  I think if you want to accept Ted's challenge, its his by rules, so why even question it?  

• Buck, Ted_Ball and JTee1 like this

#11 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 05:41 AM

What a great game. What a fabulous swing innovation. I love the way the tempo is such an important factor. As in real life our swing paths are pretty much constant but our tempo variations can muck us up badly. We all know if we have swung too fast in real life and so it is in PG. Who thought of this swing? Where are they now? They could have been kings of the world. They are probably making stuff for blokes who are down in their dungeons hitting balls against a wall (with dodgy putting components). Ah well.

Anyway, Seve has kindly posted a recording of a round at Whistling Straits on the MEGA.nz site. It was typical Seve - moments of shear genius along with some wayward craziness. He is beatable - mainly on the greens - but WS is a monster as you know.

Good luck.

• Buck and RobV like this

#12 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 02:11 AM

Alone at Christmas? In isolation? Hiding?  Why not play against Tiger at Pebble Beach?

He was very nervous on the greens and that's where you'll beat him. You should get some nice reads from his putts.

Recording loaded on MEGA.nz

Yuletide Greetings!  (Stick to the rules!)

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 02:44 AM

Alone at Christmas? In isolation? 

If one is lonely, this is definitely not the forum to frequent looking for activity 

:lol:

There is more activity at a rural bus stop at 3am

• Ted_Ball likes this

#14 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 02:50 AM

Yeah. Wish GB was here.

• Buck likes this

#15 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 25 December 2021 - 04:39 AM

RTSM is the best golf swing ever developed for a computer golf game.  Not only does it incorporate tempo, the .25 ratio but the movement of the mouse mimics  a real golf swing.  An inside out mouse movement promotes a draw just like an inside out swing path in real golf.  An outside in mouse movement promotes a fade just like an outside in swing path in real golf.  Every swing using RTSM is going to be different because you can't possibly move the mouse at the same tempo and path every time so it never gets boring.   It is another reason why it is so much more difficult than 3C where you time one click and the meter fills in at exactly the same speed every time ad nauseum.  RTSM also doesn't give you feedback after every swing which again is more realistic.  After all  you don't take a Trackman out on the course in the real golf.  I would think that someone who plays the real game would appreciate RTSM unlike those who only play cyber golf.

As a golfer for over 30 years I think it is the only way to play PG.

I play at Pro level and my scores are usually a few strokes over par.  I have to play well to break par.   Since RTSM was introduced in 2016 I have only seen two or three players at OGT and then PGLS play at the Tour Pro level using RTSM. 

I'm not sure the record round function works anymore as I have recorded a couple of rounds and my friends don't see them. 

In my opinion, PG using RTSM is superior to 2K21 by a wide margin.

I can play a round with you in the new year if you want, me at Pro and you at Amateur.  I no longer play at PGLS as just about everyone there are clickers.

• JoeF, cajuncapgun, Buck and 2 others like this

RTSM - Pro

#16 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 05:27 AM

Well said slouis. I couldn't agree more - even about the status of Pro. I did play at Pro level for quite a while and was able to score reasonably well. Once you get into the groove and have the experience to adjust if you are wayward, then it is a beautiful and realistic challenge.

I'm playing at Amateur for some carefree rounds (although a Perfectly straight shot is a rarity). I have posted a long time ago about the practicalities of Amateur for competition. It would keep all players within a certain margin of error and therefore putting the emphasis back on srategy. But Pro level is what anyone who wants a rewarding challenge should aspire to.

The recordings work fine but probably the only way to share these days is the way I'm doing it.

I'd like to play a round with you for sure. I'll do some practice at Pro level in the meantime.

#17 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 06:27 AM

As a golfer for over 30 years I think it is the only way to play PG.

In my opinion, PG using RTSM is superior to 2K21 by a wide margin.

Both points are absolutely true - 100% agree

#18 IanK

IanK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 01:37 PM

Both points are absolutely true - 100% agree

Is this comparison between the PG RTMS and the 2K21 mouse swing? They are both very similar. 
As someone who spends as much time designing as I do playing, once you get used to it, the course designer on 2K21 is much more user friendly than PG and some very nice results can be had if you start with a blank plot, rather than letting the designer lay out your course. Personally, I can’t wait for 2K22, or whatever they are going to call it. Hopefully the course designer will have many more options enabling the user to create a much more unique course. 

The criticism has been made that 2K21 courses all look stereotypically 2K21 but they same can be said of PG. Although you can personalise your PG course by importing various 3rd party assets, you can still tell that it’s a PG course. 

• cajuncapgun and RobV like this
Steam Name: n.bonaparte
WWG1WGA

#19 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationCanvey Island, Essex, UK

Posted 25 December 2021 - 04:43 PM

Merry Christmas fellow golfers, have a great weekend.

Ted, I'm going to give it a go after Xmas. I was a 3C until Motion became available. I love the look of RTS but being left handed, it causes a few probs. I used to play PG with Mike (Mimic) with no grid or BLI, it was great fun. 

• Ted_Ball likes this

#20 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 11:09 PM

Happy Christmas to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users