40 replies to this topic

#1 Slattery

Slattery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 01:57 PM

Hi all,

I purchased Perfect Golf when it was still in BETA on Steam a few years ago.

I still play it occasionally with a couple of mates, but still prefer Links 2003 as my main golf game.

I was wondering if Perfect Golf has been officially abandoned by its developers much like Links 2003 was many years ago or are there still updates and/or future plans for the game?

Thank you

Intel i7 4970K Devils Canyon CPU - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard - MSI GeForce GTX2060 6GB Graphics Card - 256GB SSD - RAM 16GB - Windows 10 64 bit - Asus 4K PG27AQ Monitor - Xbox One Controller - NBN 100Mbps Connection (100/40)

#2 Mwh65

Mwh65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 02:13 PM

I'm of the opinion it's been abandoned but we have had no official confirmation from the Devs. It is still available to purchase via Steam ...

https://store.steamp...0/Perfect_Golf/

PGLS - Free for all players of Perfect Golf

http://pgls.golfladd.../pgls_intro.php

#3 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 02:29 PM

Make no mistake, its done and was abandoned a long time ago.   The creators of this game have been gone for quite some time, taking some of the talented course designers with them to work at Trackman, a golf sim company.   

• Buck likes this

#4 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 02:58 PM

I wonder how fast we’d get a reply if someone managed to mod the game...
  • bortimus, Buck, RobV and 1 other like this

#5 Slattery

Slattery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 04:31 PM

A shame really. It had so much more that could have been added to it. Links 2003 style commentary, more animations etc.
I'll try and play a few tourneys at PGLS when I have some spare time.
Thanks for your website.

Intel i7 4970K Devils Canyon CPU - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Motherboard - MSI GeForce GTX2060 6GB Graphics Card - 256GB SSD - RAM 16GB - Windows 10 64 bit - Asus 4K PG27AQ Monitor - Xbox One Controller - NBN 100Mbps Connection (100/40)

#6 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 01 April 2022 - 07:59 PM

I wonder how fast we’d get a reply if someone managed to mod the game...

With their history of admiration and support of Links, it would be really cool if sometime eventually they would put in the work to open this game up to modding. It seems completely detached from what they are doing with trackman now and the all new version over there.

As an aside, I have commented before that I find it to be borderline unethical they keep selling this to new customers on Steam.

Hopefully folks do at least a bare amount of digging before purchasing to realize that this has been abandoned for years and years now
  • Parboy, ✠ davef ✠ and Leroy4423 like this

#7 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 April 2022 - 07:57 PM

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but anyway here goes. I fired up the forum this morning to check things out. I do this every day, but for some reason it really hit me today. It has become very lonely at this forum. There are just a few of us posting. I can think of only 2 people who are still designing, and of them says that he is quitting the designing. I just loaded Links back onto my PC but it only fills up 3/4 of my screen and I can't figure out how to  fix that. The meter is also super fast, but maybe I could adjust to that. The graphics on Links is still nice but it really looks antiquated to me.

Even if this game got opened for modding, and it should be, is there anyone left here with the skills to really improve it? I seriously doubt that people who left here for Trackman give a rip about this game or the people who play it.

I have VR and play golf on it but it still is lacking for my tastes. The graphics are polygonal, plus there is like 3 courses to play over and over and over again.

Let me ask a question. I assume designing a course is difficult and time consuming. I doubt just anyone can pick it up and just be a natural or more people would. Is course forge difficult?

#8 Mwh65

Mwh65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 08:09 PM

A way forward would be for Perfect Golf to be made "Open Source" but it's highly unlikely Andrew Jones would release the code to the community as that would mean taking Perfect Golf off from being purchased via Steam.

However even if he did allow it, we would need to find a programmer willing to tackle the code, which will be no easy task. If we did find a programmer willing to tackle it he is going to have fun wading through the bugs we are all currently aware of!!

• Buck and Ted_Ball like this

PGLS - Free for all players of Perfect Golf

http://pgls.golfladd.../pgls_intro.php

#9 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 05 April 2022 - 01:44 AM

In my opinion PG even in it's current state is a better game than 2K21.  It's nice to see that there are some good courses being released for the community.  

• KenR, J_Schollmeyer, Buck and 2 others like this

RTSM - Pro

#10 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 05:46 AM

Let me ask a question. I assume designing a course is difficult and time consuming. I doubt just anyone can pick it up and just be a natural or more people would. Is course forge difficult?

Not terribly difficult, but the wizards have moved on, so if you run into problems there's no guarantee whoever's still here can fix them.

#11 bgast1

bgast1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 April 2022 - 05:37 PM

If the Trackman courses were computer games, does anyone know how much better the course designs would be than what we have now? Back in the Links days, I thought that those courses were awesome. If there is not a very noticeable improvement in eye candy then other than the bugs that people are complaining about, what is actually wrong with PP? What bothers me the most is that PP has gone dead.

If every one of the PGA tour courses were available, I would be completely satisfied. I'm still not good enough even on hacker to compete, but it's at least a start. I actually like 2K21 but I am disappointed that there is no 3 click. I don't know if the designs are accurate over there. What I do know is that the eye candy is no where close to PP, plus I have reasonable confidence that the courses are true to the real life courses.

#12 JoeF

JoeF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts
  • LocationBrighton, Ontario, Canada

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:55 AM

If the Trackman courses were computer games, does anyone know how much better the course designs would be than what we have now?

I would say that the Trackman courses would be more accurate, have improved graphics and a greater variety of trees, shrubs, flowers, etc. available for use.  

When PP was doing PGA courses for use in broadcast they were working off 5cm Lidar provided by the PGA.  For Augusta they worked off 1 cm Lidar data provided by the club.  With Trackman's relationship with the PGA it wouldn't surprise me that they may be working off very hi res Lidar.

• Buck likes this

Intel i5-4570 cpu @ 3.2 GHz, ASUS Z74-K mb, ASUS GeForce GTX 960 gpu, 16 GB ram, 2 x SSD drives, Windows 10 64 bit

Steam name: sound_flier

#13 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 03:58 AM

Interesting how they posted a picture of 12 at Augusta tucked in there…

https://www.instagra...g_web_copy_link

But suggested “watching” the Masters on your simulator screen (vs playing it)

I’d imagine they have to be a touch careful showing anything of Augusta running on TM/PG software

#14 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:45 PM

If there is not a very noticeable improvement in eye candy then other than the bugs that people are complaining about, what is actually wrong with PP? What bothers me the most is that PP has gone dead.

Well, those are definitely 2 to start with.. by now, many of the bugs and sometimes weird ball physics would have been fixed.   But aren't you tired of Hacker Harry?    A custom player builder would be cool, lefty players, different club selections...  Another one would be a career mode, many have stated that was something they would have liked.   There is a buried topic here somewhere, where someone asked "what would you like to see in PG?"..  may have been Mike Jones who asked and many chimed in with some really good ideas, but some were sort of silly.   A really cool concept would be a true mutli-player experience.. where you actually see other online players on the course.  A mode where you actually book tee times for a course on a dedicated server or what have you, and actually see players in the distance, on the fairway, greens, teeing off, etc.   No other golf game has done that.  

Anyway..  as it stands, PG is decent enough for a round here and there, but it definitely could use much more of everything you have seen in past titles that you may have played.  

• Buck and Ted_Ball like this

#15 KenR

KenR

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 05:07 PM

More animated players, different clubs, ability to set your own club distances... just a few improvements for starters.
Ken

#16 maxie

maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 07:54 PM

A really cool concept would be a true mutli-player experience.. where you actually see other online players on the course.  A mode where you actually book tee times for a course on a dedicated server or what have you, and actually see players in the distance, on the fairway, greens, teeing off, etc.   No other golf game has done that.

It is a nice concept but wouldnt work as imagine your waiting to Tee off on a hole and were waitng in real time for slow players to finish the hole eg a par 3 . So the amount of time for a group of 4 to play that hole would be doubled or more

#17 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 02:16 PM

A really cool concept would be a true mutli-player experience.. where you actually see other online players on the course.  A mode where you actually book tee times for a course on a dedicated server or what have you, and actually see players in the distance, on the fairway, greens, teeing off, etc.   No other golf game has done that.

It is a nice concept but wouldnt work as imagine your waiting to Tee off on a hole and were waitng in real time for slow players to finish the hole eg a par 3 . So the amount of time for a group of 4 to play that hole would be doubled or more

Very true, but perhaps tweak it a bit where you can play real time, even though other players ahead of you are playing slow and on the same hole... sort of like a ghost ball hybrid...ghost-player hybrid?  No clue..   I believe Links were headed in the right direction with their "fast play" mode... where everyone can tee off at the same time, however, you would only see your player on the screen... and yet, you can see everyone's ball being hit in a certain camera view.   Again, it is just an fun idea to tinker around with.. obviously nothing is going to happen.   ha. 

#18 LeazesNDR

LeazesNDR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  • LocationSmoggyland UK

Posted 08 April 2022 - 06:41 PM

More animated players, different clubs, ability to set your own club distances... just a few improvements for starters.

One of the Jones'es who abandoned this game actually posted pictures of some new Ani's once upon a time but never bothered to put 'em into the game. Waste of a good promising PC golf game thanks to f*ckin' Trackman

#19 JTee1

JTee1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 06:59 PM

Make no mistake, its done and was abandoned a long time ago.   The creators of this game have been gone for quite some time, taking some of the talented course designers with them to work at Trackman, a golf sim company.

For those that are looking for an immersive golf game and a novice amateur and pro level. I would definitely suggest buying the Oculus 2. Just take your VR headset and your little club with you and play anywhere in the world that you travel. While the game is in its infancy and they are going to add extra courses. The immersiveness is awesome play a foursome and chat as you play is awesome. That's the only way I know how to describe it. The physics aren't as good as perfect golf but as good as the golf club. It definitely scratches that itch.

For those of you who quit real golf due to aches and pains this is easier to play then my phigolf with e6. The novice level is good to start with it allows everybody to shoot a decent round of golf and have a lot of fun without hearing moans from the other players if you're not a good golfer. I personally am not ready for the pro level I played amateur level a few times and definitely more difficult more slice and Dicing. I bought a golf grip for the Oculus controller and have not received it yet but will update on that I hear it takes some of the slice and dice and out of the higher levels of difficulty. This probably isn't for the professional golfer but would still be a blast at any level of play.

Hopefully it'll morph into an ogt type situation with tournaments and separate leaderboards. The chit chat while you're on the golf course and watching everybody swing and pot and chip is awesome is all I can say. For those of you who don't want to sell out the bucks without trying there is a 14-day return policy like at Walmart with electronics but you can also try out at some Best buys they have a setup to play. I'm not hooked up the discord part but look forward to finding the community for Oculus. But there's an in-game chat feature with just any normal headset with a microphone you plug it in and will be able to talk

Been away for over a year due to accident.
I play JNPG on PC with mouse, Phigolf is compatible with E6 or wgt on Android tablet with swing stix, TITTLE X is compatible with E6 on PC or iOS tablet with swing stix. Android in the works.
Trying to play golf again and enjoying the upgrades to phigolf and tittle x plus a swing device is my fav. JNPG has taken a turn for the worse and left people hanging imo.
Phigolf and E6 has improved. The swing data imo has improved and mimics my golf round irl the best. JNPG I've only used my mouse, but love the motion swing aspect over 3 click. But to each their own.
Best ball physics
1. JNPG
2. E6
3. WGT
BEST SCREEN APEALL
1. JNPG E6
3. WGT
COMMUNITY
1. JNPG due to OGT.but also new to Tittle X and Phigolf.
Cost
$$$ JNPG. $???
$$ E6. $10 per month
$ WGT $1.99 per month
Fun factor is a tie for all 3 but swing device is more fun imo. JNPG Needs to add a swing device for the golf gamers. But I guess you get what you pay for. ⛳
All opinions are mine and are posted to bring options to the community.

#20 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,532 posts

Posted 09 April 2022 - 08:32 PM

@JTee1

Which golf game are you playing exactly?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users