21 replies to this topic

#1 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:40 PM

Hello!   Well, I finally got this course to a 'beta' stage... At this point, while I do not think I can mess with the fairways, greens, bunkers that much anymore, there is definitely much more improvement for the scenery, planting, trees, ambient sounds and especially the overall background surrounding the course... as there is none.  Ha. 

At first, I was not sure I wanted to post the beta, but since a very few of you are interested, here it is..  fyi, you will see the filename at 'beta4' as my brother helped me test the course a few times.  

Just a few minor points I would like address:

• This is my very first course, I had no knowledge of Course Forge and little of Unity.
  • I must've went through MJ's tutorials at least 20 times each.. hahah 
  • Still lots to learn, but I am enjoying myself learning and certainly have gotten better as I progressed in making the course.   The back 9 was much easier with less mistakes. 
  • This was literally a back-of-a-napkin design.. very lightly based on a course here in NJ where I used to play when I was younger, but most of it was just a freehand design.  (not sure that is the proper way of doing it, but it worked for me)
  • I would still like to learn more about several tools within in Unity.. i.e. sound editor adding ambient sounds, skyboxes, terrain, meshes, you name it...  very powerful game making tool.  The modern version look even more powerful! 
  • The greens here are a little large, but nothing out of the ordinary.. I've played golf on bigger. 
  • I stink at planting...  

The County beta

https://mega.nz/file...NY1ViFE1FJZ19V4

Let me know what you think! 

Rob V

#2 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 06 December 2023 - 05:44 AM

Great job! I like the trees... :D  I like those rocks in front of the tee on #10.

The only problem I had was on #7 tee. My player was aimed straight toward the green (thru the trees), instead of aimed toward the fairway marker. The only thing I can think of is maybe the fw marker isn't named #7? (just a guess)

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#3 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:44 AM

Great job! I like the trees... :D  I like those rocks in front of the tee on #10.

The only problem I had was on #7 tee. My player was aimed straight toward the green (thru the trees), instead of aimed toward the fairway marker. The only thing I can think of is maybe the fw marker isn't named #7? (just a guess)

Hey Jug!   Yeah, its an extreme dog leg left..  you have to put your first shot in the fairway straight from the tee box..  then hit your approach shot. 

Q931akf.jpg

#4 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:43 AM

Hmmmm...Okay, I always thought the player aimed for the shot marker off the tee. (learn something everyday)!  :D

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#5 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 05:10 PM

Hmmmm...Okay, I always thought the player aimed for the shot marker off the tee. (learn something everyday)!  :D

Yeah, it seems like the player just aims for the green's flags instead..  I must've positioned the shot marker in a 100 different places in the fairway, but always the same result.  The player and AI always just want to go for the green no matter what... is there is a way to rotate the tee markers?   I'm not sure there is..  but what do I know?  haha 

#6 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:42 AM

Hmmmm...I don't know what's going on. Just out of curiosity, I looked at hole #3 on Monarch (the hole is similar in design), and the player aims for the fw marker.  :mellow:

• RobV likes this

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#7 xooze

xooze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSE Minnesota

Posted 07 December 2023 - 03:47 AM

I like the trees too. For a first course well done. I guess my only comment would be the greens are very sloped, or the pins are not on a very flat surface area. I like the course.

Bob

• RobV likes this

#8 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:02 AM

Hmmmm...I don't know what's going on. Just out of curiosity, I looked at hole #3 on Monarch (the hole is similar in design), and the player aims for the fw marker.  :mellow:

Interesting.. alright, maybe I will just re-do all the markers and pins.. see if that does the trick. 

#9 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:03 AM

I like the trees too. For a first course well done. I guess my only comment would be the greens are very sloped, or the pins are not on a very flat surface area. I like the course.

Bob

Thanks Bob... there is a mix of sloped greens and a few flat..  I didn't want to make the greens too easy.   There are flat areas on all the greens using the "Easy" pin placements.   Thank you for your comments.. appreciate it. 

#10 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:57 AM

Alright... I was able to fix the back three T's by replacing them and moving them back at tad in the tee box..  the front two tees remain the same..  there must be some kind of 'minimum distance' for par 4's or something as the front two tees will not go straight and continue to point to the green.  So, what I will do is make the back tee box a little longer and bring all the tees into the back box. 

It's just guess at this point, but when I drag those two tees to back box, they straighten out and look to the fairway shot point..  an4Wtho.jpg

Made the tee box bigger... dragged the last 2 tees back, and they both straightened out while dragging!   ha!

3ROhrGU.jpg

#11 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 06:42 AM

Here is the Hole 7 tee box fix version. 

https://mega.nz/file...Zjo770j3P4N8Gfk

Thanks!

#12 clint

clint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 December 2023 - 02:14 PM

Hi Rob,

nice little design. First I'm not a designer... only a player. And I come from this point of view.

Hole 7 tee box is fixed - very good

If I'm correct, is this a real design of a country club. From this kind of view no 11 and 15 the fairway is too small and no 13 is too long.

Will play another round with the fixed tee box now...

clint

#13 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 05:22 PM

Hi Rob,

nice little design. First I'm not a designer... only a player. And I come from this point of view.

Hole 7 tee box is fixed - very good

If I'm correct, is this a real design of a country club. From this kind of view no 11 and 15 the fairway is too small and no 13 is too long.

Will play another round with the fixed tee box now...

clint

Hello Clint.. thanks for the feedback.   No, this is not a country club design..  It is "loosely based" on a golf course I used to play in my earlier days...  Most of it is just a design as I was learning Course Forge and simply mapping out the holes as I went along.   As for the fairways.. yes, I found that while in the course editor, things are a lot smaller than what is portrayed in the game.   For example.. as I would make a green, I would make it reasonably small.. but yet, once I compiled in the game and played in PG, it was very LARGE!   So I tried to get a mix of smaller and larger tee boxes, fairways, greens...  again, all mostly done while in the editor using the measuring tool.  

thank you! 

RV

#14 Mwh65

Mwh65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 12:25 AM

Course added to PGLS ...

https://pgls.golflad...rses.php?id=562

PGLS - Free for all players of Perfect Golf

http://pgls.golfladd.../pgls_intro.php

#15 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 02:12 AM

Course added to PGLS ...

https://pgls.golflad...rses.php?id=562

Thanks Mark...  I hope I don't crushed over there with comments considering all the amazing courses that the 'pro' designers have created... mine is nowhere near what is on PGLS!   

RV

#16 Mic Fleetwood

Mic Fleetwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 08 December 2023 - 06:41 PM

Just played a first Round without any issues. But the sloops on the Greens are in my oppinion too strong. But at all a great, challenging Course. Respekt!

• RobV likes this

#17 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 December 2023 - 08:51 PM

Just played a first Round without any issues. But the sloops on the Greens are in my oppinion too strong. But at all a great, challenging Course. Respekt!

Thanks Mic!  Appreciate it..  I've definitely played worse slopes on some other courses, but I will take a look at some of the slopes and adjust..  I think I know which holes too..  thanks. 

• Mic Fleetwood likes this

#18 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 02:42 AM

Adjusted a few greens where there was an unreasonable slope..   didn't want to make them too flat as then the course would be too easy. 

Fixed other tee boxes, adjusted fairways, cleaned up bunkers and rounded off some greens as well. 

Beta v5

https://mega.nz/file...aP0o1ZahL4CKUcg

• xooze, balaceanca81 and Mic Fleetwood like this

#19 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 23 December 2023 - 11:25 PM

There was a 3rd site(other than this and PGLS) that I used to frequent.There were quite a few simulator people there.I did a little beta testing-mainly on the AI side.AS I remember they had a set of rules that they wanted beta testers looking for-I believe some of them were based on actual PGA rules .For example I seem to remember pins had to be a certain distance from the fringe.I also seem to remember there was supposed to be a certain area of  "flatness" around the pin.36 inches perhaps?
Maybe someone else has a better memory.In any case it's a bit late at this point-I've seen a few courses with the pin on the side of a steep hill.And perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

• RobV likes this

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

#20 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 December 2023 - 06:21 PM

There was a 3rd site(other than this and PGLS) that I used to frequent.There were quite a few simulator people there.I did a little beta testing-mainly on the AI side.AS I remember they had a set of rules that they wanted beta testers looking for-I believe some of them were based on actual PGA rules .For example I seem to remember pins had to be a certain distance from the fringe.I also seem to remember there was supposed to be a certain area of  "flatness" around the pin.36 inches perhaps?
Maybe someone else has a better memory.In any case it's a bit late at this point-I've seen a few courses with the pin on the side of a steep hill.And perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly.

Thanks tanman..  for the record, I did fix many of the pins placements and slopes on the greens.   I think they are definitely playable.   The released version is posted on the site.. thanks for the comments.  RV

• tanman05851 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users