#1 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 06 May 2024 - 06:55 AM

EA Sports PGA Tour has been released to Game Pass on Xbox so I thought I would have another look. 

I played the free trial when it came out but wasn't impressed sufficiently enough to buy the game.

I started playing the Career mode trying to get interested but my dude with default skills struggled with pitching and wasn't going to make the cut so I John Daly-ed and walked off. 

I thought I'd play a round at Augusta as Jack and because he was driving 300 yards I started to get excited. I went back to Career with my 'me' dude and, having worked out how to pitch and set aiming points and distances, I got right into it.

To be honest, I have it set up 'Normal' and with assisted aim putting and 60% scoring which meant I could make it to the Korn Ferry easily enough. It was only after two or three tourneys that I found the 'Skills' page so I can drive long.

What I want to say is that I'm liking the mechanics of the swing even though I'm not experienced with the thumb stick and the aiming system was realistic in a way. It's forgiving of course but I found that there was just enough natural variation to make it a bit difficult and resulting scoring was realistic enough. Missing greens was quite normal (even with light winds) and annoyances and frustrations made the experience realistic as well. 

I don't want to make it over-difficult. I'm just wanting to play like a Pro would want to play. I will probably turn up the difficulty if it becomes too easy but I'm enjoying it. I like the need for thinking about club selection and I'm only just getting into shot types (stingers, punches etc.). I like the easy putting and I'm certainly not draining everything. Overall I'm finding it has a good balance of decision making to reward, and is realistic in the way you'd have a good caddy in real life. I finished second at Boston TPC at 12 under which is realistic scoring afaic.

The graphics are fine. Crowds are good. Commentary is off. Career is compelling. Navigating the menus is a bit confusing. (I can't find how to play against an AI in a tourney.) Backswing gauge is good. Spin is confusing. I don't use animations powerboost spin control or shot shaping. I'll hit the wall eventually but so far it's satisfying my needs. 

• RobV likes this

#2 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 07 May 2024 - 08:46 AM

OK. No AI partner until PGA Tour.

I'm liking this game. Has it surpassed PG?

Answer soon!

#3 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 04:55 AM

Well...

....I'm playing the game and will be playing for at least a season so I think it has surpassed PG. The main reason is because of the Career mode. Accessible. Good number of courses. Playing against real names (I like this.). Stats are good. Compelling.

But I also like the balance of difficulty. It's not as simmy as PG and I'll miss the RTMS but apart from that and the vast amount of courses available in PG it suits my purposes niclely.

The graphics are good - if not excellent. (If you want to see excellent graphics try World Of Tanks. (Free) The maps are superb. Backgrounds are sensational. Atmospheric events, lighting, trees, buildings, level of detail and number of objects, zooming (This would be great in a golf game.) - all superb. Best game ever.) The boats at Pebble Beach are fabulous.

The ability to build your avatar. Sound effects. Crowds (a bit goofy - but it would be less an experience if they weren't there.) Check the people on the beach at Pebble, pretty cool.

I've had to turn off music and commentary and I don't use Power boosts or other artificial aids. This is to make scoring a bit more realistic. 

There is still that arcadey look about EA stuff that you have to try to ignore but...

...I'm sorry Perfect Golf - your time is over I'm afraid. It certainly was fun while it lasted. No doubt I will say the same about EA PGA Tour eventually!!

• RobV likes this

#4 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 08 May 2024 - 02:10 PM

The great golf game we lack is a combo of both.  EA's superficial touches with PG's feel.  And be feel, I pretty much mean 3-CLICK YOU IDIOTIC SOBS

#5 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 04:59 AM

So true jt.

As I'm playing the EA I'm constantly comparing the two games and combining the elements (and thinking of improvements both lack) in an imaginary great golf game.

We need some billionaire to build a game who is not interested in financial success.

A committee picked from PG forum elite will be essential.

I would then urge this billionaire to develop my dream games of (1) climbing Mt Everest and (2) a football game (ideally Rugby League) where 26 real people control the players. World of Tanks has 30 real lifers controlling individual tanks and is simply amazing. Get with it billionaires.

#6 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 05:13 AM

The trouble I'm having is getting the balance right so my scoring is realistic and challenging.

I tried 'Hard' swing but I didn't feel like going through a lot of practice to get it consistently acceptable.

I've got everything 'Normal' but to dial back the easiness I took away the skills I had earned for length off the tee and so on and also one of the putting aids - so I have to determine the correct strength to putt. I have to leave the putt path on because it is impossible to read the greens (I don't want to look at grids).

But Career is the only reason I'm playing. I want to beat Scheffler !

#7 jt83

jt83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 09:00 AM

My ideal tennis game is also a combo of feel (Tennis Elbow) with big budget visuals.  That this is beyond our reach in the broadband age is sad.

Winning Powerball is what I need to do.

#8 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 03:53 PM

And I've just played my first online 9 holes against a random real person.

Good fun. I played as Jack (full attributes) and got flogged of course but it worked very well. I could have waited days in the lobby at PG for a match at the best of times. I was on the tee in 1 minute.

This is something I have wanted for a long time. Pity it doesn't have ELO but no probs.

I'll be pursuing this with an online dude. Maybe Ted Ball !!!

OK. I'm hooked

• RobV likes this

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 09:21 PM

I wish I could give my 2 copies away to someone

$40-ish down the toilet

(for my unique purposes of playing with my Uncle anyhow -- glad others are enjoying it at least)

#10 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 13 May 2024 - 03:59 AM

Career mode. Great fun.

Final round pairing at Sawgrass in The Players with Sungjae Im. Double bogey, bogey 13 and 14 and I'm gone. Like watching Jason Day. But that was exciting golf. Meaningful, in it's own way. Scores were very realistic.

I didn't have AI partner on. That would have made it a lot better. 

#11 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 13 May 2024 - 06:54 PM

I got rid of playing with an AI partner-they are even worse than PG's.Also you can't tweak them.

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

#12 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 03:44 AM

I'm still researching the AI.

I'm only using it if I'm in the final pairing in the final round. 

But I've got The Masters coming up so I might pair up each round for realism's sake.

On another note - I'm still trying to get the balance right. I shot a 60 somewhere, which I didn't like (although I was sinking putts from everywhere and just got lucky). I moved to 'HARD' swing difficulty. I can't tweak the putting any more so I'm going to have to reduce my power if I'm still scoring too low. Having said that, I'm 7 off the pace after the first round at Kiawah which is the last tourney before Augusta and I don't want to make it too difficult yet. I'll probably change up after the Masters.

#13 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 14 May 2024 - 04:56 PM

OK. This is my last word on the subject.

The last two weeks has been my best experience playing computer golf for all time. Sorry PG.

Career mode on EA Sports PGA Tour on Xbox has been wonderful and will keep me going for a long time.

The simulation aspect could not be better for me. (The thumbstick is great now that I've got things tweaked and with hours played.)

Let me give you an idea of the experience.

I've just played my first Masters and it was bloody daunting. ('Hard" swing.)

I was actually nervous and it affected my game. Those first 6 holes are wild.

Anyway, I blundered my way to an 80 because I didn't know how to play the course even though I've had a couple of rounds there. It was the occasion. They even had Jack and Gary and Tom Watson doing the ceremonial Tee-off which didn't help my nerves.

So I'm resigned to missing the cut but I got my nerve back in the second round and just kept getting birdies (genuine fist pumping) but, as you know, you really never settle there. I actually was still in contention to make the cut (+2) after the 15th but I went in the water at 16 (genuine disappointment).

I shot a 68 and a major is not out of the question in the future.

If you're not playing this I suggest you give it a go. Amazing stuff.

Good luck. Thanks for listening!

• Buck, slouis and RobV like this

#14 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 05:21 AM

The last two weeks has been my best experience playing computer golf for all time. Sorry PG.

Career mode on EA Sports PGA Tour on Xbox has been wonderful and will keep me going for a long time.

The simulation aspect could not be better for me. (The thumbstick is great now that I've got things tweaked and with hours played.)

Anyway, I blundered my way to an 80 because I didn't know how to play the course even though I've had a couple of rounds there. It was the occasion. They even had Jack and Gary and Tom Watson doing the ceremonial Tee-off which didn't help my nerves.

So I'm resigned to missing the cut but I got my nerve back in the second round and just kept getting birdies (genuine fist pumping) but, as you know, you really never settle there. I actually was still in contention to make the cut (+2) after the 15th but I went in the water at 16 (genuine disappointment).

haha Love the read.... thanks Ted!   Awesome! 

#15 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 06:00 AM

Love the enthusiasm Ted!

One day I might give it a go again

Just sort of not interested for now as the game was too confusing for my Uncle and I prefer to just play one golf game (all I really have time for)

I have to say though, what is more peaking my interest is one day getting into Golf+ VR, with a club attachment

That type of experience feels like the "next gen" I might really be looking for eventually

#16 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 15 May 2024 - 07:00 AM

Anything is possible Buck. 

• Buck likes this

#17 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 15 May 2024 - 07:52 PM

Glad you are enjoying playing  career mode.    I also play at hard level for the swing and have the grid turned on because I still don't think the graphics for greens are good enough to be able to read them without the grid.  This is where it would be nice if the game had BLI.  One of the things I do for some tournaments is play the first and last round (if you make the cut) on full while the other two are quick rounds.  I generally do this when the course is not one of my favourites.  It is quite a challenge if you play a round in strong winds. 

As I mentioned in my previous post there is in fact finesse and touch in the controller swing and can be very satisfying if you get a "perfect" swing now and then.  Club selection can also be quite interesting because of the variety of shots you can play and trying to estimate the carry vs. roll  after factoring in the wind and slope of the green.

• Ted_Ball likes this

RTSM - Pro

#18 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 03:50 AM

Thanks for that slouis. 

I will try the grid even though I have been fundamentally against them in the past. The grid is quite well done from what I've seen. Because the greens are almost impossible to read I've had to have the 'putt line' on - which I use reluctantly.

I've now turned off the pre-shot ball flight and just estimate the amount of draw and fade based on wind strength. I'm slowly getting into shot types but I'm comfortable around the greens with pitch mainly.

I agree the controller swing can be very satisfying and I don't over swing anymore which helps control. I'm still a bit confused about 'slow' and 'fast'.

I do play full rounds but now that I can qualify for majors due to my ranking I just bypass the courses I don't like.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A reassessment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users