Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

EA Sports 10 bucks...(if anyone interested)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 06 May 2024 - 07:06 AM

I noticed it was $10 bucks in case anyone was holding out for a sale. I see Jack has allowed them to use his name and player animation...  "the release of four new courses and the ultimate Major champion of all time, Jack Nicklaus joins as the first playable golfer added since the game's launch."

https://store.steamp...PORTS_PGA_TOUR/

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#2 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 03:53 PM

Is this the same version that Ted is posting about?   I mean, for 10 bucks... I may give it a go... 

#3 remers

remers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 08:52 PM

I gave it a go at that price and didn't even complete one hole.  It was a mile away from being a golf game/sim that I could get along with and without any sort of mouse swing I'm not sure I'd go back to it if they gave it away.  I've never been a big fan of controllers and would much rather use a mouse and keyboard but the price was so low that I was quite excited to try it.   I couldn't have been more disappointed and knew almost instantly that it wasn't for me.   On another note, keep up the excellent course work Rob, you're doing a grand job and your courses are very much appreciated.

System Spec
---------------------
Win10 / Core i7 - 4820k 3.7Ghz / 16GB Ram / GeForce GTX780 / Corsair M95 Wired Mouse / Asus PB287Q 28in 4k Monitor

#4 RobV

RobV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 09 May 2024 - 11:47 PM

I gave it a go at that price and didn't even complete one hole.  It was a mile away from being a golf game/sim that I could get along with and without any sort of mouse swing I'm not sure I'd go back to it if they gave it away.  I've never been a big fan of controllers and would much rather use a mouse and keyboard but the price was so low that I was quite excited to try it.   I couldn't have been more disappointed and knew almost instantly that it wasn't for me.   On another note, keep up the excellent course work Rob, you're doing a grand job and your courses are very much appreciated.

Wow, thanks for the review, remers... appreciate it.   Yeah, even at 10 bucks, I am hesitant.. its not the money at all, I just don't want to buy something if I am not going to play it. 

And of course, thanks much for the kind words.. I am glad there are a handful of players out there that are enjoying my courses... I am far from an expert and only doing it as a hobby, but it is good to know there are players that are enjoying them!    I've got another cooking now, so be on the look out for it soon! 

• remers likes this

#5 Jugador

Jugador

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 10 May 2024 - 02:46 AM

Is this the same version that Ted is posting about?   I mean, for 10 bucks... I may give it a go... 

Yeah, the same one. The "Deluxe" version is just a couple of bucks more. From what I've read, the biggest complaint is, if you want to have a player that can compete, you have to upgrade with earned credits or purchase credits. Apparently, it takes forever to earn enough credits, so most people wind up pulling out their wallets and buying upgrades. Still, I may check it out for $10. I just bought a 4070ti pc, so I'm pretty sure it should look good. 

AMD RYZEN 7800 X3D 

RTX 4070 ti

32 gb DDR 5

360mm AIO

#6 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 10 May 2024 - 05:04 AM

I here ya remers.

I certainly prefer a mouse swing. It felt really uncomfortable using the right stick to the point where I nearly stopped playing the game. So I switched to the left stick and it made a significant difference.

But, honestly, without a Career mode I wouldn't touch the game.

#7 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 May 2024 - 09:22 PM

I wish they'd add a Mouse Swing

That would get me interested, at least for my personal solo usage

I just don't think controller swings match up to a great mouse swing

• remers likes this

#8 Ted_Ball

Ted_Ball

RTS-H Pro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • LocationWest End, Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Posted 11 May 2024 - 04:34 AM

When I started playing I didn't like the thumb stick at all Buck.

It took quite a long time to come to terms with it (and I've only just felt comfortable after switching to the left stick).

I rejected the Hard mode straight away. Normal is a nice balance for me - but it took time. But there is no alternative.

Strangely, I played a few games on PG recently and my mouse swing was all over the place. I couldn't find my rhythm at all. I guess practice or repetition is the answer.

I understand that it would be hard to convince your uncle to persevere with a thumb stick but once I got my rhythm in the EA I'm liking it very much. At Normal there is just enough variation to make it realistic without shockers - which makes me competitive in tourneys.

But, I agree. Nothing matches the mouse swing at it's best.

#9 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 11 May 2024 - 09:09 PM

Strangely, I played a few games on PG recently and my mouse swing was all over the place. I couldn't find my rhythm at all. I guess practice or repetition is the answer.

That is EXACTLY why the mouse swing is so great

It requires maintenance and practice and tempo and rhythm

There are good days, bad days, good rounds, bad swings .. ebbs and flows...

It's magic

None of that really happens with controller swings -- I think it's why they add all the "shot modes" and "random dispersion" type of things..

To try to add some life to the action, as the swing itself mostly becomes bereft of feel -- especially with their "distance control arrow"

Sure hope EA considers adding a great Mouse swing some day

I'm on the sidelines of that game until then

#10 tanman05851

tanman05851

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Kingdom,Republic of Vermont

Posted 12 May 2024 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, the same one. The "Deluxe" version is just a couple of bucks more. From what I've read, the biggest complaint is, if you want to have a player that can compete, you have to upgrade with earned credits or purchase credits. Apparently, it takes forever to earn enough credits, so most people wind up pulling out their wallets and buying upgrades. Still, I may check it out for $10. I just bought a 4070ti pc, so I'm pretty sure it should look good. 

I would not agree that it takes forever to upgrade.At this point the only DLC is cosmetic ie clubs that have no advantage or branded merch with no advantage.
    That being said I am not a huge fan of the game.But if's worth 10 bucks as long as your willing to give it a fair shot.

• Jugador likes this

Windows 10 Pro -Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard-Corsair DDR4 2666 MHZ(16GB)

Asus Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Turbo Edition-Dell S3220DGF-3C-Logitech G502

Finally found a competitive AI "Phil Mucklebot" Aggressive Pro 3,3,3,3,3,5

#11 slouis

slouis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 12 May 2024 - 03:05 AM

I agree that RTS-M is the best swing method of any golf game ever released.  In addition it is a swing that does not have a meter because the touch and feel of the swing is so good  that you think you know why you made a bad shot.  To me, having a meter for any swing is equivalent to taking a Trackman on the course.  Using RTS-M on the driving range however does give you post shot readings which is another example of how well thought out PG is because you can take your Trackman to the range. As an avid golfer I've always liked the fact that  RTS-M replicates a real golf swing in regards to swing path and tempo.  RTS-M alone makes it still the best golf game but it also has features that no other game has such as BLI and 9 different camera angles for replays.

That said, I've been playing EA Sports Golf for about 8 months  and enjoy playing it.  Obviously the graphics are better than PG and the game itself is vastly superior to 2K23 which I played for a short time.  Until I bought EA Golf I had never used a controller.  There is actually touch to the EA swing with the controller.  It is not brute force like  2K23 where you ram your stick forward.  The controller swing for EA is based on finesse in that the movement of the stick has to be "light".  The path of your backswing can also greatly affect the ball flight.  There is a swing tip on Steam which describes it quite well.

In EA Golf making a good full swing, pitch, chip or blast shot consists of knowing how far to carry the ball and how far it will roll taking in to consideration uphill/downhill and the wind etc.  In other words exactly what the pros do. Judging the carry vs. roll is a lot of fun and can be challenging.  The shot that I think is too forgiving though is the flop shot which usually is very accurate.  There are a lot of different  types of shots in EA Golf but I really don't use that many of them.  I find the finesse option useful for approach shots and the hack for getting out of deep rough can be helpful.

There are a number of options and features that I have requested at the EA forum which have not yet been added to the game such as being able to save quick rounds, replays, moving the ball position on the tee box, statistics for rounds such as total feet of putts made which as far as I know has never been in any golf game.  

I have played online with a friend but it has been limited by the fact that for whatever reason he keeps getting disconnected every 6 holes so we end up having to complete 18 holes in three segments.  Because of this the majority of my time playing EA has been career mode.  

The courses in EA are the most accurate offered in any golf game because they fly their own drone over each course and take other measurements.  The EA version of Augusta plays exactly like what I see on television for the Masters.

So most of my PC golf now is EA but I also return to PG which I still enjoy playing.  To repeat what a number of people have said, it is a shame that the development of PG did not continue.

• JoeF, Buck, Ted_Ball and 1 other like this

RTSM - Pro

#12 Buck

Buck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 12 May 2024 - 05:27 AM

There are a number of options and features that I have requested at the EA forum which have not yet been added to the game such as being able to save quick rounds, replays, moving the ball position on the tee box, statistics for rounds such as total feet of putts made which as far as I know has never been in any golf game.

I doubt much will get addressed.

I saw a post on EA boards from someone reading financial info of some kind and how EA was cutting back and reallocating to the mainstream titles that generate huge #'s for them.

Sadly ...I won't surprised if they "Rory it" again (referring to PGA 2015 game that got a year or so of "support" and was quietly left to languish)

I also think this fractured mess of PGA/LIV stuff isn't helping EA or 2K remain fully committed.

Golf is already niche ... breaking up the player base like this is suicide for interest in the sport, and certainly creates challenges for video game renditions.

• Mulligan likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users