#1 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Now in the TW's CA, points and optimizing are probably the most important things you can do as you build your course..

Are those a factor with CF..

Thanks..

Done with designing.

Released Courses: Real

The Golf Club @ Dove Mnt. AZ

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

The Grinder Anytown U.S.A.

#2 Joe Habiger

Joe Habiger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationCoon Rapids, MN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

The only thing I have to say is HOW OLD IS TW, HOW OLD IS LINKS and WHAT YEAR IS IT NOW?

My system built this year is more powerful then even the newest Xbox One coming out later this year. I even populated my version of Augusta National with 60,000 polygon trees and it didn't even stutter. Obviously I'm sure there is going to be some things you have to be careful of when designing but I doubt very much. The golf game I play is also 3-5 years old but yet I still get 80+ frames per second on even the best courses that are pretty detailed like this one. Most of our courses are built with 1 meter Lidar data so courses have a lot of detail but detail on the outer edges of the course have been decimated to keep the detail down in those area's that don't really get played from.

We shouldn't really have to worry about to much in this day and age.

Attached Files

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
  • Sapphire Nitro+ SE AMD Radeon 6800XT
  • G.Skill Trident Z Royal RGB 16GB DDR4-3600
  • Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen 4 PCIe M.2
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD M.2 NVMe
  • Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
  • Sound Blaster ZX Soundcard
  • EVGA 750 Gold Power Supply
  • Fractal Design Meshify S2 Case
  • Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R
  • "43 inch Vizio 4k Monitor

#3 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:14 AM

Thanks Joe.

Not talking about plantings though.

If you run the points up to high in the CA, (over 65,000 for 1 texture) you get transparent textures in the game.. Don't matter how powerful your system is. OVER OPTIMIZE your course and you lose detail in the game. Over optimize and you create sharp angles on your course.. Under optimize and your points can get to high IE: Transparent textures..

It's a balancing act.. I have seen no other course architect accept for the TW's CA.

Oh yeah, last time I checked it was 2013 :P

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#4 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

The only thing I have to say is HOW OLD IS TW, HOW OLD IS LINKS and WHAT YEAR IS IT NOW?

My system built this year is more powerful then even the newest Xbox One coming out later this year. I even populated my version of Augusta National with 60,000 polygon trees and it didn't even stutter. Obviously I'm sure there is going to be some things you have to be careful of when designing but I doubt very much. The golf game I play is also 3-5 years old but yet I still get 80+ frames per second on even the best courses that are pretty detailed like this one. Most of our courses are built with 1 meter Lidar data so courses have a lot of detail but detail on the outer edges of the course have been decimated to keep the detail down in those area's that don't really get played from.

We shouldn't really have to worry about to much in this day and age.

Nice to see you again Joe.  I wish I could have put those dems you had to use, but just too big for APCD.  Hopefully you still have this data, because it would be great to see if it can be used in Unity/Course Forge.

Tim

Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#5 John Griffin

John Griffin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

If you run the points up to high in the CA, (over 65,000 for 1 texture) you get transparent textures in the game.. Don't matter how powerful your system is. OVER OPTIMIZE your course and you lose detail in the game. Over optimize and you create sharp angles on your course.. Under optimize and your points can get to high IE: Transparent textures..

It's a balancing act.. I have seen no other course architect accept for the TW's CA.

So by optimization, you're referring to a process of simplifying/reducing the number of verts/points in the mesh?  Was that a manual process or was there a tool to help automate it?  APCD has a simplify tool that would automatically reduce vert count in a selected area by a specified percentage - although the post-simplification mesh was usually a bit messy so you had to be careful where & how you used it.

I don't know of any hard vert count limit in APCD, certainly no soft limit that would start affecting rendering of the terrain surface (like transparent textures).  It was more of an issue of CPU/GPU horsepower to move/manipulate the mesh in APCD with that many verts (e.g. 100,000+).

#6 axe360

axe360

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • LocationSo Cal U.S.A.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Yes and Yes John.. You have to do it manually.. :)

Done with designing.

Aronimink PA

Amana Colonies Iowa

Fictional:

#7 Jimbo63

Jimbo63

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationManchester, England

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Yes optimization in the TW2008 CA just simplifies the mesh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users