Photo

My First Experience With Unity. . . Don't Laugh. Well Yeah You Can Laugh.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flogster

flogster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

Attached is the results of my first try with Unity. I never used it, or anything like it, before. Just downloaded it around 5pm, started messing around, and closed it about 7pm). For me, the question is; will I remember, today what I did yesterday? Anyway it's a start. I call it Cliffside. I just wanted to give it a cliff side golf course feel.

I do have few basic questions for the experts:

1) Regarding Basic (CourseForge) Resolution settings;

length

width

height

any other basic settings are welcome.

2) Any place online I can find decent free trees, grasses, shrubs etc.

3) You undoubtedly notice the dim lighting. At the start the lighting seemed  good and at the end it seemed dim. Any suggestions.

Looking forward to you responses. Thanks 

Attached Files

• NoPutt likes this

#2 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Nice, you've covered most of the basics.

1) will post an image of my terrain settings later, I'm currently on a different computer

2) Let me know if you find one. CF will ship with decent trees, until then it's a bit of a problem. I recommend the willows. Send me your email through a PM and you can have some of my grasses, if you want. Shrubs: see trees.

3) Did you create a directional light (game objects) at all? 

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#3 Rush2112

Rush2112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

looks like a good start, keep it up and we will all be playing your course. Looking forward to what creative minds will bring us in the near future.

#4 flogster

flogster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:17 PM

Thanks Rush2112. 

#5 flogster

flogster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Kablammo11. Found the directional lighting. Now I can see. Actually, I think I turned it off during my "messing around" yesterday.

Looking forward to your PM. That will be helpful.

Thanks again.

#6 Kablammo11

Kablammo11

Obscure Person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:04 PM

Well, try K11 to ease the burden on your keyboard. First part of my answer is in public, just in case some others might want to benefit: Here are my terrain settings for the Black Swan. Admire and take notes:

hUhbgLR.jpg

Terrain width and height are of course defined by your design project - it might help to create a preliminary design in a realistic scale to find out how large a plot you will need in Unity. That plot always must be a perfect square, so the two values should be identical.

I could also explain some of the more obscure settings a the bottom of the list, but instead I'd rather be snippy at you, in the spirit of showing you some tough love. Clearly, quite a lot of unknown things in Unity are as close to you as typing "Unity 3D terrain settings" into Google and pick the 1st answer you get offered. Red letters a link. May I suggest you try this method every now and then - really helps keeping the bureaucracy small.

Grass billboards sent to you via email. My grasses are color-matched with my textures, so they may not fit your colors - but you can always adjust brightness, contrast and hues yourself.

• NoPutt likes this

>>>>>>> Ka-Boom!

• Mulligan Municipal • Willow Heath • Pommeroy • Karen • Five Sisters • Xaxnax Borealis • Aroha • Prison Puttˆ

• The Upchuck   The Shogun  • Black Swan (•)

<<<<<

#7 dedBuNNy

dedBuNNy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

Priiiity .... Down those huge slopes.... that oob? ;)

M Swing  //   N Assists

#8 flogster

flogster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:42 PM

Thanks dedBuNNy, I think?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users