#1 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

We know there are a vast amount of excellent Links courses available by some top designers which can be converted for PP. The questions is how will permission from these designers be handled.

A lot of them have moved on and are not involved in virtual golf anymore, will a real effort to get in touch to obtain permission to use their course file be okay? One should also give credit to the designer especially for fictional courses. -_- 

I believe the height map date can be extracted  from a locked course file but you won't be able to open it in APCD to get the overhead. I suppose an in game screenshot from the top view will serve the same purpose but maybe not so accurate. You might have to stick a couple of screenshots together.

Adriaan

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

#2 clint

clint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi Adriaan,

you can try to contact the designer (some have their e-mail address in the readme file) and to give credit to the "original" designer is a must

clint

#3 Dazmaniac

Dazmaniac

Rock. Loud and Heavy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationEngland, UK

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

I guess the decision comes when you have tried every avenue to contact the original designer but had no luck.

Do you use the original design, import it in to CF and create a new version, crediting the original designer or do you leave alone as you have not had the OK from the original creator?

I am sure, 99.9% of old designers who may no longer even be involved with Links would be happy to see there design given the CF makeover, but there may also be the 0.1% who see things differently.

I would hope it wouldn't be an issue as there have already been many Links 2003 design makeovers already done of older courses and given the hi-res texture update and a bit of TLC around the plot, without it causing any issues with the original designers. Let's hope giving them the same CF treatment is smiled upon and not frowned upon.

;)

#4 highfade

highfade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:52 AM

Us who have done courses in APCD before and the Links community itself do know how permission and giving credit should be handled, however I won't be surprised if some of the Links courses crop up on some battlefield in another fps game. :D  These tools will be out there for anyone to use and courses are available for anyone to download. Not that we can or should do anything about it, just saying. :mellow:

I've had a look and it seems the Unity community can really do with a proper Bing or Google map importer. ATM it can be done but it seems like quite an effort. As Andrew said, putting it up in the Unity asset store might be a good idea and it should be a major hit. :)

Intel Core i5-6600 CPU 3.3 GHz       Geforce GTX 1060        16GB  RAM       Windows 10 64 bit

Hazyview  (600m above sea level)    --   Nautilus Bay  (Revamp done)  --  Cape Fear  (TGC  adaptation)  --  Aloe Ridge  --  Nahoon Reef GC  --  Chambers Bay 

Abel's Crossing  --  Solitude Links GC

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users