6 replies to this topic

#1 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

Wondering if at the higher levels of difficulty there will be a 'Look at the lie' option instead of a percentage or graphic given of the lie.  It would be nice to have the player look down and asses the lie depending on how much grass is covering it in the rough or how it lies in the sand.  Maybe a random range of lies could be possible for non-fairway surfaces and each of these would have their own range of effects.  Trajectory and speed would factor into a bunker lie more I would think, but a ball that lands in the rough might have several different outcomes somewhat randomly.  

#2 TheLighterDark

TheLighterDark

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationFayetteville, AR

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:28 PM

I would rather just have a visual representation of the lie on screen, including % reduction from full shot due to lie as well as slope on both the X and Y planes. It would also be really nice to have the ball perform differently depending on the surface that it was coming out of, like lower trajectories and less spin from rough, etc. 

TheLighterDark / "William" / University of Arkansas, Fayetteville / 21

Toshiba Satellite S855 / Windows 8 64-bit / Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz / 8.00 GB RAM

n2o7ldH.png

"All the world on one arrow..." - Ashe, The Frost Archer, League of Legends.

#3 TimBoch

TimBoch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationFarmington, MN

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:17 PM

I like how Links represents the lie.  Slope is indicated on a small gauge and you have to determine how it will effect the shot and aim and select strength accordingly.  Also, a ball with an "impaired" lie, is shown right in the graphics, again requiring and adjustment to how you hit the ball.  I think too many numbers and percentages, makes the game more of a "math test" and not so much golf.

• John Griffin likes this
Course Forge Courses in various stages of design: Dwan Golf Club, Hyland Greens, Faribault CC, Desert Valley CC/ Woodland Trail(fictional), Infamous Golf Course (fantasy)
Links 2003 Designs: Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Woodland Trail/Desert Valley CC , Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still in planning)
Intel Core i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • 16GB DDR3L RAM
  • 750GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M

#4 Bluenoser

Bluenoser

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

I like how Links represents the lie.  Slope is indicated on a small gauge and you have to determine how it will effect the shot and aim and select strength accordingly.  Also, a ball with an "impaired" lie, is shown right in the graphics, again requiring and adjustment to how you hit the ball.  I think too many numbers and percentages, makes the game more of a "math test" and not so much golf.

This :)

#5 Mike Jones

Mike Jones

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 6,159 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:17 AM

We'd like to keep most of the interface and information completely visual, Ie because it's a 3d environment, you can actually walk around and see which way the ground is sloping.

Having said that we'll probably always have other graphics available because as good as our 3d environment is, you can't feel the slope under your feet so it's likely that people might need visual help with things like lie quality, slope angle etc even if it's just a rough guideline.

• TimBoch and Maineah like this

#6 Davefevs

Davefevs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationBristol

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

@tim - totally agree.

@mike - be interesting to see the visuals of the 3d....suppose on the harder settings, disabling any graphics and trying to see the slopes on screen would make it a great test. I always thought that links never really gave you a great impression of paying uphill or downhill.

#7 bortimus

bortimus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Will the ani be interactive with the terrain enough so the stance will give indicators as to how the ball lies on a slope? Shoulder plane, knee bend, choking up on the club etc... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users